Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 29th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Beginner

Default NCL - Dawn - November from NYC

Anyone ever go on the Dawn from NYC for Thanksgiving??
Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2004, 11:16 AM
trish1c

Default Re: NCL - Dawn - November from NYC

Friends of mine did last year or 2 years ago (I don't remember) & enjoyed it very much. They were sereved turkey w/ all the trimming for dinner.
Old September 29th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: NCL - Dawn - November from NYC

We are sailing on November 28th -- the Sunday after Thanksgiving -- enjoy your week and we hope to read about your experiences before we leave!
Old October 1st, 2004, 09:09 PM
Stu

GOing on the dawn Nov 18th. HOping the weather leaving New york is warm warm warm. Losing my tan!
Old October 2nd, 2004, 03:04 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: NCL - Dawn - November from NYC

Just booked my cruise for the 18th. This should be a really good Thanksgiving.
Old October 6th, 2004, 01:39 PM
silvershadow

My wife and I are going on 11/28/04.
Old October 11th, 2004, 08:39 PM
PAcruiser

We are excited, this is our first cruise, I have a million questions and don't know where to begin.
Old October 12th, 2004, 12:08 PM
Dan P

If you are going the week of Thanksgiving you have to remember there may be a lot of kids on board because they may be taken out of school because it is a short week.We were on the Dawn last November when the schools were closed and there is so much for the kids to do that you dont even relize they are there.Go and have fun.
Old October 13th, 2004, 07:34 AM
StanleyP.

Yeah, I went on it last year, it was great. First day was cold but the second day was much warmer. Be sure to watch for dolphins on the second day....all day. They follow the ship and you should be around North Carolina or Virginia when you'll start to see them. Lots of fun. We started to see them around 7 am and they continued until maybe 2 pm or later. At some times there were a dozen or more swimming around the ship.

Also, don't expect a traditional turkey dinner. I did not order the turkey because I knew this was not an American ship and I did not expect them to make a turkey dinner the way I was used to. I ordered the steak, it was excellent. The people I travelled with ordered the turkey and were not happy. I ended up trading meals halfway through and I thought the turkey was good, just not what most of us are used to. If you're adventurous with your meals then great but if you're not, you may not like it.

Have a great time. There were kids around since it was school break but it wasn't bad. We went to an Orlando park on a Tuesday (while in Port Canaveral) and it was great, not many people at all and hardly any lines to wait in. I think the crowds must start to pick up the day before Thanksgiving.

The worst part was waiting in line to eat. The lines at all the restaurants were very long and started 15-20 minutes before they even opened. There was no place to wait and people were pushing on the stairwells. I would suggest waiting to eat. If I were to do it again then I would grab something early from the buffet if I were hungry and put dinner off until later. You would think the crowds could be attributed to all the kids but no, there were hardly any kids in the restaurants. It was mostly the older crowd (age 50 and up). One time we had to leave because waiting on the stairwell with the mixes of perfumes was making me nauseaus. Couldn't even think about food for awhile.
Old October 25th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Rosanne

Yes, hope to have a great time. Our 3rd cruise but 1st on the Dawn. We will get to the pier around 3pm from Putnam county. There are 11 family members travavelling together. Hope you enjoy your trip.