Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 29th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Sun Pacific

Default Rental Car on Maui

I know there is info within some of the reviews on renting a car, but I'm having trouble finding it. We have decided (somewhat last minute) to rent a car for the second day in Maui - we did not really realize Lahaina was so far from where we dock. Is it best to do it through the ship? We are Hertz gold card members but I recall someone mentioning that Budget(?) is the one through the ship. We want to do whatever is the simplest as far as picking up/dropping off the car. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks!

Carol & DH Tom
Sailing POA 10/17/04
25th Wedding Anniversary - 17 days - yipee!!
Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2004, 12:53 PM
virgenia

Default Re: Rental Car on Maui

Budget is who the ship uses so there are plenty of shuttles for Budget, but I saw Hertz shuttles there too. I would call and reserve one before you go tho--we had done so and wanted to upgrade to the next size and they didn't have any extra. You would be amazed at how many people on board rent cars on Maui.

The drive to Lahina takes about 35 minutes and it is very easy to find. The luau is great. You will enjoy it if that is what you are going for.

Virginia
Old September 30th, 2004, 03:04 PM
SunPacific

Default Re: Re: Rental Car on Maui

Virgenia,

Thank you! So you did Budget through the ship or on your own? We sail the 17th and I think I should do it soon! (Also, enjoyed your review - helps to relieve the apprehension of all the bad experiences!)

Carol
Old September 30th, 2004, 05:49 PM
virgenia

Default Re: Re: Re: Rental Car on Maui

Carol,

I did Budget on my own about two months before we sailed. You can call the 800 number and book all of the islands you want at the same time. We booked on Oahu (for our stay before the cruise), Kauai, and Maui and I did it all at the same time over the phone. I compared prices online and budget was the best deal, altho rates seem to change from time to time.

I would not take the chance and wait until you get there to request a car. There might not be any left if our experience on Maui is any indication. Plus, it is not like a hotel where you are charged even if you don't show. They don't even take a credit card number when you reserve.

Be advised that additional drivers are $25 unless they are spouses.

Virginia
Old October 1st, 2004, 10:19 AM
KCGreg

Default Re: Rental Car on Maui

I think your chances of getting to and from the dock are a little higher with Budget since they have a relationship with NCL.
Old October 1st, 2004, 11:14 AM
SunPacific

Default Re: Re: Rental Car on Maui

KCGreg,

Thanks for that idea. I was going to go with Dollar (call when you want to be picked up and then they'll come get you), but for $9 more, I booked with Budget and they confirmed they will be there on that Saturday morning. Thanks alot!

Carol

Off to Paradise in 14 days 22 hours and 15 minutes!!! :-)