Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 1st, 2004, 11:02 AM
Rookie cruiser

Default Carry on beverages

What does NCL does about the odd bottle of alcohol that you want to carry onboard?
Sponsored Links
Old October 1st, 2004, 01:24 PM
newmexicoNita

Default Re: Carry on beverages

Well, they will keep them for you (like it or not) til the last afternoon or evening of the cruise. There are ways some use to bring a little booze on ship and some plans do work pretty well, but basically, NCL does not let you bring liquor on board. NMNita
Old October 1st, 2004, 05:41 PM
pata

Nita is right about that...they will keep it til you return. There are some funny threads about ways to sneak booze onboard. You might try a search on the boards with the words "booze onboard" and see what you get. They do allow you to carry on sodas and such. We are pesiholics and NCL does not serve Pepsi that I am aware of. Anyway we took ours last year with no problem.
Old October 4th, 2004, 07:52 PM
CeeCee

We just stepped off the NCL Star to Mexican Riviera. We did not take alcohol or soft drinks aboard on embarkation, however, we carried six bottles of Coke on board after our port visit in Acapulco with no problem and while in PV, we purchased four bottles of Tequila in port and expected those to be held for us but as we were processed back on board, the bottles (just in bags and not concealed in any way) were handed back to us to take to our cabin.
Old October 4th, 2004, 08:37 PM
pata

...correction...pepsiholics that is ! It is just a kind of crap shoot on the alcohol, I think. Against regulations but lots of people like to try sneaking it onboard. Some win, some loose. It may very well be turning into a fun kind of thing to do when boarding. There is one review on "another board" that says NCL is getting harder on the people who try...to the point of being very rude about it. I have always read that it was kind of an embarrassing but funny experience with no real hard feelings toward those who do try. Of course, this probably varies from ship to ship, as many other things do.
Old October 5th, 2004, 11:47 AM
CeeCee

On embarkation in San Pedro on the Star, NCL simply had a table set up with a sign attached that said "Alcohol". When my husband sort of stopped by the table with a quizzed look on his face, the agent standing there asked him if he was bringing any alcohol aboard. Now, this was right before we headed up the gangway so if we had packed any alcohol in our checked baggage, I'm not quite sure how NCL would confiscate it at that point. The agent did not routinely quiz each and every passenger about whether or not they were carrying alcohol aboard -- just those who stopped by his table.
Old October 5th, 2004, 12:03 PM
trish1c

On NCL it is not a crap shoot about the alcohol. They will confiscate all of it & they are very dilgent about the smuggled stuff -- opening water bottles etc.

I too had no problems bringing my Pepsi on board at the 1st port though.
Old October 5th, 2004, 12:15 PM
CeeCee

Trish,

I'm curious, though. How does NCL confiscate liquor that is stowed in checked baggage? I had temporary locks on my checked luggage and the locks were still intact when I received the luggage on board so that means my luggage was not opened and inspected. Had I filled a plastic bottle with booze and packed it in my checked luggage, looks like it would have sailed right on through, no problem.
Old October 5th, 2004, 06:49 PM
newmexicoNita

Cee Cee, thanks fot the heads up. The table, by the gangplank is the same thing Celebrity uses and some get away with the booze, some not. As for Trish and the water bottles, well, I know lots who have gotten away with bringing it on in water bottles. I guess it just depends and I am beginning to think it's not worth the effort. We are thinking of just ordering a bottle for our room. We have heard the price is out rageous, but still cheaper and easier than hitting the bar every time we want something.

NMNita

ps they x-ray the bags and will call you down to the luggage area if they spot booze I have heard.
Old October 5th, 2004, 06:51 PM
pata

Have read posts where people had no problems taking it aboard various ships and others that say it is a really tabu kind of thing. The carry ons go thru the xray machine right in front of you...and that is where I took our Pesi and was requested to open the bag for inspection...which I did with no problems. Honestly, we have never put alcohol in our luggage, so that is why I say it is a crap shoot..for better word..seems some do get caught and others don't. I have no idea how the luggage goes thru xray to determine whether anything is inside. We watched as the luggage was thrown onto a huge roller kind of thing and never saw it again until it arrived in our room. Maybe one of the crew will enlighten us about what happens after your luggage is checked.
Old October 6th, 2004, 01:03 AM
CeeCee

At the speed they move the luggage from the dock to the ship, I'd bet not all of it is x-rayed. If I were to be so inclined as to smuggle a bottle on board, personally I would opt for putting the booze in a plastic bottle and then in a ziplock bag or two and then into my checked luggage. The carry-on bags are inspected closely and I would think you would run a much higher risk of detection with carry-on luggage. All in all, though, I'm not quite sure why NCL would supposedly be so diligent about trying to nab smuggled booze on embarkation, yet allow four bottles of tequila purchased in port to go right on up to a cabin with a passenger such as happened with us this past week. The booze was right there in all its glory, not hidden at all and no one said a word. Could it be that some of these agents are simply asleep at the wheel?

Now as far as soft drinks go, with NCL all you can seem to get on board is Coke or Diet Coke. My husband was offered a very rare Diet Sprite while dining in Cagney's but I believe the waiter told him that is only available at the Star Bar. The servers with the carts might have had Sprite as well but I did not see Sprite offered at any of the bars. Why, I don't know because Sprite is a Coca-Cola product. Not everyone likes Coke or Coke products. What if you prefer Pepsi or Dr. Pepper? What if you prefer decaffeinated cola? It just seems to me that they ought to allow you to carry on board that which they do not offer with the soft drinks.
Old October 6th, 2004, 06:26 PM
newmexicoNita

You can carry on all the water and soft drinks you want: it's just the booze that is frowned on.
Darn it anyway!!!! lOL

Nita

ps out of here for 5 days: Dh is celebrating his 50th high school reunion. Boy is he old!!!! Mine isn't for another 6 monts.

NMNita
Old October 6th, 2004, 09:07 PM
pata

Hey! congrats on the 50th highschool reunion to both of you! about the booze...such a shame you cannot carry it on! One thing tho, the anniversary package is a really good deal, in my opinion...just $79 and you have two bottles of bubbly, a picture, a party, and dinner at Le Bistro. When you add it all up, it comes out to $30 at Le Bistro for cover charge, Pics ????, 2 bottles at least $40 and a party to boot! Well worth the money.
Old October 7th, 2004, 02:56 PM
silvershadow

Default Re: Re: Carry on beverages

I tryed taking booze on baord the Dream a couple of yrs ago on the Dream out of Boston. In was in my luggage. When they x-ray the bags that's when they'll call you down to open your luggage and take it out.
Old October 7th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Passenger

I called Passenger courtesy today and ordered a bar setup for our stateroom -- a little pricey at $153 -- but that was for one bottle each of Dewars, Tia Maria and Amaretto. Still less expensive than individual drinks in the bars, and we can sit in our jammies on the balcony and have a nightcap!
Old October 8th, 2004, 01:36 PM
trish1c

As I understand it, the shape does stand out in the x-ray machine. When they see a tell-tale bottle shape, they hold your luggage.

I am not an expert but that method seems to catch a lot of "smugglers."
Old October 11th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Mich2

I called the Norwegian Customer Service line twice today and was told that unless you have a "medical reason", bottled water in any amount or size is not allowed to be brought on board at all. You may buy a 16oz bottle for $1.25.
Old October 11th, 2004, 10:41 PM
newmexicoNita

Mich2, that's a new one to all of us as we have been bringing water on for ever, not just a year or so ago, but as of a week or so ago.

NMNita
Old October 15th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Don't worry about my name

In Honolulu, AKAL security will ask you to open your bag, then they tell you to check it with a bar waiter sitting thirty feet away. You COULD just say ok, and walk right past. The AKAL is busy with other pax, as is the bar waiter, if he even cares. Works for crew, too.

People in the owners suites get three complimentary bottles of alcohol.

Open a twelve pack of pepsi, replace the cans of soda with Bud Light, glue the box shut, and walk on board.

Fill a camelpak with booze, they only do pat downs in Kona.

If your alcohol is confiscated, it can be returned if you complain long enough to the right person.

Ask a crew member. There are mafias on the ships that can supply ANYTHING.

Hope this helps.