Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 7th, 2004, 08:28 PM
cruzin

Default Public Transportation from FLL to Miami

For my January 2005 cruise out of Miami, I decided to fly into FLL because it was much cheaper. However, now I am having trouble finding a cheap way to Miami from FLL. We are going a day early, so the cruise line transfers won't help.

Options such as taking a taxi or limo service seem to be pretty expensive (plus I'm too young to rent a car) so I was just wondering if anybody ever took the public transportation services (Tri-Rail, MetroRail, MetroMover, etc) to get from FLL to their hotel in Miami. I had looked into it and it's super cheap, just though I'd like to get some input from anybody who had any experience with it...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2004, 10:52 AM
Uncmarts

Default Re: Public Transportation from FLL to Miami

Even if taking public transportation is less expensive, having to carry all your luggage is probably not worth the savings. Seems to me that you might want to change the flight in favor of Miami.....Reason being, whatever you save on arriving at Fort Lauderdale, you will probably wind up spending in transportaion to Miami. In addition, who wants the aggravation and time getting from one airport to the other.
Old October 8th, 2004, 05:14 PM
silvershadow

Whayever you do when you return from your cruise do not take bthe NCL transfers. We did it in Oct 02. We got off the ship in Miami and the place was a zoo. There was no organization on getting on the busses it was every man for himself. We did what NCL recommended and made our flight for about 3hrs. after arrival time. We got off the ship @ 10AM and had flights @ 1:45PM and by the time we got on the bus and to the airport it was after 1PM . Then by the time we got up to the ticket counter it was less than 1/2 hr. before takeoff and we couldn't get on. After your cruise take a cab to the airport from the cruise ship terminal to FLL is aboaut a 20 minute ride and should cost you about $30 well worth the price.
Old October 8th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Tom45

I have to agree a cab may not be a bad deal, if you do Public Transportation you may still need a cab ride, or a min of a few bus/train switches. it adds up.
i prefer to take cabs over rentals or bus/trains. you get good service and door to door ride. plus you won,t get lost.
i alway try to rember i,m on vacation from the time i leave home till i arrive home.

Have a great trip, Tom

Old October 8th, 2004, 10:36 PM
The Hills

HI There:

7 of us are going on a cruise in January and my brother, his wife and 8 year old chose to fly into Fort Lauderdale. I found the information below on this website so it may be worth checking into.

The Hills
Ottawa, Canada

I am using BCexpress...for $18.00 for a party of four or more they will
> pick you up from the airport and take you to the cruise port.
>
> Here is the link http://www.bcsexpress.com/index.html
>
> Have a great trip!
Old October 9th, 2004, 06:11 AM
Passenger

Can't you go back to the FLL airport on the date of sailing and still use NCL's ground transfers? Seems as though you should.
Old October 15th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Beginner

Tom,

Which cruise are you going on - I am headed on the NCL Sun departing miami on 1/7/2005 and flying into FLL from NYC...
Old October 16th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Tom45

Lucas I,m going To NYC from Maine, Than NCL Dawn on 01/09/05

Old October 16th, 2004, 10:11 PM
newmexicoNita

Best idea would be to stay at a hotel near Fort L airport and use NCL transfers the day of the cruise. They will ask you what your flight number is; just tell them, they don't need to know you will arrive a day early. Then show up at the airport backage claim about the time you would be do to arrive. Passengers do this all the time: we have infact. No matter what you do, don't even think about public transportation. It is worth the extra bucks to use some other service. If you are spending all this money for a cruise the extra bucks is not all that great in relation to the cost of the cruise. Hopping public transportation from one airport to a cruise port isn't like taking a subway in NY or something. NMNita