Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 9th, 2004, 10:19 PM
Heather K

Default Missing school....

Im worried about missing my school work and all because we were supposed to be going during my fall break but thanks to Ivan our fall break is cancled .. if u were me would u still go or what...? My mom was just wondering .
Heather
Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2004, 01:02 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Missing school....

Heather

That is a decision that your parents must make. If you do go, make sure that you get assignments from your teachers prior to sailing.

Sea days make great study days.

Good luck,

Barb
Old October 10th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Heather K

Thanks Barb...
Well It looks like Im going onthe cruise ... Yea im excited and im going to get all my work done before i leave .
Heather
Old October 11th, 2004, 05:40 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

My daughters are both teachers ( 3rd and high school) and would say it is a bad idea to miss school for a vacation. That said and done, they both missed 3 days of school back in 1990 for a cruise where they had a fantastic time and further (after their spring break 1989 cruise) developed their love of cruising. Oldest learns VERY easily and had no problem making up 3 days work. Told the teacher the truth for youngest (inspite of her reputation) and all she pushed for was 2 report s, general trip and a separate on on the Panama canal. Oldest did a cruise for her honeymoon 8/03 and youngest did one over her spring break 3/04 and is looking for her honeymoon 2005.

You do not say yyour age/grade level or how easily/hard it is for you to learn. These play an important part in if/how much school you can miss. There are at least 2 sea days on most cruises. Are you willing to bring your books and so assignments? Can you learn independently or are you parents qualified & willing to help? Will your school policy allow you to make up any missed work? These can influence the family decision.
Old October 11th, 2004, 09:39 PM
newmexicoNita

WE took our grand daughter when they were about 14 and 11. It didn't hurt them to miss school. Would I reacommend it on a regular basis? Of course not, but they had a great time, did do some work prior to the cruise and some on the cruise plus the younger one actually did as much of her swim workout as she could. If you are dealing with an child that has trouble keeping up that would be different. By the way, one of them is now a senior in college and the other a freshman. Like I said, they survivied.

NMnita
Old October 12th, 2004, 09:58 AM
licruiser

I never took my children out of school for a vacation.

There are enough days off in the year as it is, so why pick one of 38 or 40 weeks in the year to go on a cruise?

That's just me.
Old October 12th, 2004, 12:40 PM
MichelleC

Hi! I'm Heather's mom (just happened to see her post on here)! Heather forgot to mention that next week was originally scheduled as Fall Break for our county schools so when we planned and paid for the cruise, she wasn't missing anything. Thanks to Hurricane Ivan (we live in Pensacola, FL) and students being out of school for 4 weeks, their Fall break has been cancelled. Both of my daughters are fantastic students (mostly A's and occassional B's) and the county advised they will excuse all absenses due to the originally scheduled break and planned family vacations, so all work can be made up without penalty. For those 2 reasons and the fact that we NEED A VACATION, we are still sailing next week! Woohoo - can't wait!

5 days and counting!
Michelle
Old October 12th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Missing school....

Michelle,

I am taking my daughter out of school 3 days before winter break begins to go on a cruise. I spoke to all of her teachers at back to school night, and they all told me to take her and to have a good time. The counselor said the same thing. She is a great student, and will do all projects early, and all home work during the winter break. Have a great cruise.

Bill

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the tradewinds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
Mark Twain
Old October 12th, 2004, 05:15 PM
newmexicoNita

Michelle, have a great time; you sure do need it, our daughter lives in Orlando and has had a terrible time although she and hubby came through everything with little damage to their home. Hope you, Heather and the rest of the family have a great time. It's best not to judge others huh? We do what we think is right and I would have done the same thing. NMNita
Old October 13th, 2004, 01:06 PM
MichelleC

Thanks Bill! I spoke with all of my girls' teachers, also and they all understand. Actually there are quite a few students that won't be in school next week since this was originally a planned school break.

You are so right NMNita...we do need this vacation and you're right about the judging people thing, too. I don't see any problem at all going on with plans made prior to Hurricane Ivan's visit - especially when arrangements have been taken care of already and everything is set to go! By the way, our house fared well in the storm compared to so many...we are missing some shingles and of course trees are down everywhere, but none on our house - just 1 on our barn. We feel very blessed after seeing all the devastation in our area. I'm glad to hear your family in Orlando fared well during the storms.

Michelle :o)