Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 21st, 2004, 12:51 AM
Familiar Face

Default Three Cheers for past passenagers of POA

Reviews continue to come in stating that improvements continue on the Pride of Aloha.
I am sorry that so many people had to have a bad experience earlier this year. I'm grateful that those people posted information and made the problems known to future cruisers and NCL management.

Many thanks to all that have posted. I look forward to seeing the new post of the experiences of those who are saling in the future.

I see things have indeed improved however it is a slow process. I do hope that NCL will continue to make efforts to improve and not just make a quick fix.

So 3 cheers for those who have help others have a good time on their vacation.

Voyager of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2004, 01:46 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Three Cheers for past passenagers of POA

Thanks. That is the reason I continued to post after my cruise back in August. Not to get money back from NCL ... Not to get a free cruise ... but just because I was ripped off and didn't want others to have the same thing happen to them. There was one guy who just got back from POA this weekend posting on another board who called those of us who complained "super critical." Said his cruise was great and he basically must not have believed the cruise was ever bad. He also implied that those of who posted shouldn't get credit for changing things.
Old October 21st, 2004, 06:16 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to segerdsegerd

Dalwhitt,
Thanks for taking the time to post those messages for all to read. I only posted briefly after my POA cruise and let the negative comments made by some people keep me from putting my review out there. You (and others) did a great job and NCL took notice. I'm glad to hear that it's getting better out there now for the passengers and this is because of people like you that took the time to let them know.
Old October 21st, 2004, 07:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

I will be sailing this Sunday on the POA and will be sure to write a review when I come back.
Old October 21st, 2004, 07:20 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Three Cheers for past passenagers of POA

Mrge55

I agree with you.

While it is no use complaining about things that can't be changed ( the weather for instance). When things that should be controllable are not up to standard, sitting back and doing nothing is giving tacit approval to that level of service and encourages companies to provide poor service in the future.

I have seen a number of people take a lot of flack for posting about bad experiences with NCL (and other cruise lines) so I appreciate people like Dalwhitt and others who hung in there and posted about the problems despite some unpleasant responses. I can't help but feel that the uproar on the boards helped motivate NCL to take corrective actions.
Old October 21st, 2004, 01:44 PM
First Mate

Yes 3 cheers to POA cruisers who posted detailed, honest, believable reports and who took the time to fill in their comment cards and report any deficiences they encountered to NCL
Old October 21st, 2004, 02:32 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Three Cheers for past passenagers of POA

This is something that should maybe be started as another topic but zeno's response reminded me about something I have been thinking about in regards to comment cards.
On the last couple of cruises I have been on I have noticed pressure being applied throughout the cruise and intensifiying towards the end, to grade everything on the comment cards as excellent. It seems that 'excellent' is being redefined by the cruise lines as 'adequate' service.
On my most recent cruise (Celebrity) we were told several times by a few different crewmembers that for the purposes of the comment cards, "Excellent is good, and good is disaster." I remember hearing similar lines from the crew on my previous Norwegian cruise.

I'm wondering how others feel about this. I enjoyed that cruise and would have probably scored many areas as 'good' with a few areas that really excelled as 'excellent'.

After hearing this "good is disaster" line from waiters and the cruise director etc. however, I did allow myself to be influenced and gave an excellent to every area except for one area that had a few problems. That area I rated as good.

I felt though that this system makes the comment cards less useful than they could be and makes it more difficult to highlight which people and areas are good and which really go above the required to provide superior service. If I were running a cruise line I'd want information like that.
Old October 21st, 2004, 03:51 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Three Cheers for past passenagers of POA

On my NCL cruise on the Sky, I received no pressure on "how" to fill out my comment card. It was pointed out to me by my cabin steward and that was that. We filled ours out as honestly as we could. If it was excellent, we said it was excellent (our steward and the maintenance staff who fixed 2 plumbing problems incredibly swiftly and effectively). If it was good we said it was good (dining room staff). If it left something to be desired (some staff in the Italian restaurant), we said so. This is something I feel strongly about. If someone pressured me on 'how" to fill out my comment card, it would have the opposite effect on me (i.e. it would reduce someone's rating). I agree with gardencat - if I were running a cruiseline I would want people's honest input - so I could fix what needed to be fixed and reward where rewards were deserving.
Old October 21st, 2004, 10:48 PM
Familiar Face

My last cruise was on RCCI and it was stressed to rank areas on the comment cards "excellent" It maybe that the RCCI lines have set their quality assurance goals to have 100% excellent rankings. I know at my job, we must meet a certain % of excellent responses on comments cards etc. We must meet 95% of the responses but our CEO expects 100%. If we don't meet our goals, it isn't a pretty picture.

Voyager of the Seas
Old October 22nd, 2004, 01:57 AM
First Mate

Thanks everyone for the kinds words. I will continue to post despite cowardly stalkers following my every post. Most of us here can hold intelligent debate and agree to disagree. And then you have those neanderthals who can only resort to the name-calling that is usually reserved for third-graders or those with social disorders.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 07:45 AM
First Mate

"It maybe that the RCCI lines have set their quality assurance goals to have 100% excellent rankings."

Merge55

I think what you said there highlights the problem with this approach. It puts the emphasis on having 100% excellant ratings on the cards rather than with having the best service possible. It seems to me, as if the cruise line is more interested in being able to quote impressive statistics about their customer satisfaction levels than they are with actually getting info that will help them provide the best service possible.

By the way I did encounter similar comments on Norwegian Dawn last year so I don't think this practice is limited to the RCCI owned lines. As I remember, on the Dawn it was the Cruise Director and the cabin steward who mentioned the importance of receiving 'excellent' ratings.
Old October 24th, 2004, 07:30 AM
Bruce Chafkin

I think we all agree that the comment cards we fill out at the end of our cruise are important to just about everyone involved - for many good reasons.

One of the most disappointing aspects of these cards is the way they are filled out.

On nearly every major cruise line, the shipboard management team reads all of them at the end of each cruise, then sends them off to the head office. There are many variations on the procedures, but most lines have the same uses and goals for the information on these cards.

However, every time I have gone through this procedure over the past several years (I have done this many many times), about 30% of the comment cards were completely illegible. We always have a great time with that 30%, passing them around the table, trying to guess what the passengers have written. In the end they go into the trash bin.
The information on them is useless. 30% is a a lot of useless information

If you are going to bother to take the time to fill out the comment cards, please, please, please try to write so that someone can read them.
Old October 24th, 2004, 08:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

On my first 25 cruises or so I filled out the comment cards faithfully.. But the last 10 cruises I don't even bother wasting my time with the cards.. The cruise lines are going to do what ever they are going to do and those cards are only there to make you feel good.. The POA did not change becauce of the comment cards.. They changed (I hope) because of people going to the press and because of boards and customer posts on those boards. OM..
Old October 25th, 2004, 12:10 PM
First Mate

Hi Bruce,

I agree that the comment cards could be a great source of feed back to the cruise line. Might I make some suggestions?

I know it is nice to have a whole bunch of little dots filled in so that the forms can be tallied by a computer but, most of the sheet is taken up with these mandatory "rate from 1 t0 5" type questions and so many of the areas, which they have five rows of choices for, may be areas of the cruise with which I have had no experience. At the bottom of the form, there is usually a pretty small space for actual comments.

In that space I need to give any constructive critisism and to name and compliment any crew member that has gone beyond the usual service and highlight any areas of the cruise which I found particularily enjoyable. Especially because I feel pressured to give anyone who performed well an excellent rating, any note of really excellent service needs to be done in this small area. Trying to jam all that into the few lines provided on most comment cards is almost guaranteed to produce illegible results.

I know that all corporations these days seem to be run by statistics and I have heard that the ratings derived from these 'fill in the dot' type questions are sometimes used to determine who gets what percentage of tips etc. but maybe the cruise lines could try to give a little more space and leeway for those who want to actually make specific comments.

There are so many situations in life that are not really covered by "yes or no" or "pick a number between 1 and 5".