Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 24th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Hendrik

Default NCL Spirit balconies

Hi. I am considering booking a balcony room for the 5 day Spirit cruise on 12/12. I was wondering if anyone who has sailed her has any info as to what the balconies are like. They looked a little small from pictures I saw and I couldn't tell if people could look down on you from above. Also, this will be the first cruise for both my girlfriend and me. We are both twenty-five and it seems like most cruisers are families with young children or more mature individuals (read over fifty.) Will we be alone in our demographic or do many twenty/thirty somethings take cruises? Regardless, I've read a lot of these posts, and everyone is so friendly and helpful that I can't wait to meet people of all ages!
Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2004, 12:41 AM
cruiser1999

Default Re: NCL Spirit balconies

Hendrik... I'll let you know the answer to your questions in about two weeks. We are sailing on Spirit 10/31 and have a balcony. I am anxiously awaiting postings from the group that sailed on 10/17.
Old October 26th, 2004, 08:18 PM
cruiserkaren

Just back from the Spirit last Friday. The balconies are much bigger than the picture gives them credit for. I was concerned too. It was the same size as the balcony I had on Royal Caribbean. No one can see you from above or below. We are in our late 20's and saw lots of others around our age. There was a wide range of ages on board. Have fun, she's a great ship! Beautiful!
Old October 26th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: NCL Spirit balconies

Hi cruiserkaren,
I am cruising on the Spirit in two weeks and hope you won't mind if I ask the following questions:
Did you encounter any rough seas during this time of the year?
How much was the coke card?
How was disembarkation? Did they allow cruisers with early flights to disembark first?
Sorry about all the questions. I would appreciate any help or advice you can give.
Thank you.
Old October 26th, 2004, 10:18 PM
Hendrik

Thanks cruiserkaren! I hope you had a great cruise.
Old October 29th, 2004, 03:04 PM
cruiserkaren

Default Re: Re: Re: NCL Spirit balconies

Hi Peggy, No we didn't have any rough seas. Or at least I guess seas that I would call rough. For our 5 day the coke card was $21.95. Yes they did disembark by your flight time. We had a 12:45 flight out of FLL and was the 3rd color to be called off. We had plenty of time. The only other advice I can think of is that if you want a small table (like a table for 2) in the dining rooms than get there early if you don't want to wait. The one time hubby and I got to go (we had our 1 year old with us!) we had to wait 45 minutes for a table for 2. If we wanted to share a table there was no wait. There was also no waiting for those with large groups. We had about 3 groups of 6 go in and get seated right away. Not a huge deal but just something to aware of. If you have any other questions go ahead and ask. I'm not on here often but I'll try to check back to see if yo have any! Have a great time. The ship is beautiful!!
Old October 31st, 2004, 03:45 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: NCL Spirit balconies

Hi cruiserkaren,
Thank you so much for your response and tips. We have cruised before but not on the Spirit. This time we booked our cruise ONLINE (which we have NEVER done before) and we don't have a TA to ask questions. Of course, I think it is better to ask people like you who have just finished the same cruise. The site we booked online with just refers us to NCL. The representatives I talked with there don't answer your specific questions. They appeared to be more interested in booking new cruises than talking with people who had already booked. They told me to go to the NCL website (which I have done more than 10 times) and to just have a good time and go on whichever excursions looked good to me. We have read of three itinerary changes in the past 2 weeks. I think we are now going to Cozumel and Roatan. Sorry about the long explanation about why we have so many questions. Can you recommend any excursions for Cozulmel and Roatan or did you hear of any good ones from other cruisers on your ship? My husband can swim but I can't. I don't usually admit that because I feel like I am the only person that loves to go on cruises and to the beach but can't swim. I know...a nonswimmer...it is just unheard of in these days...thus part of my dilemmia on what to do.
Was the coke card worth it in your opinion? I am a Pepsi fan but can drink Coke. I don't drink tea or coffee but I will be fine if they have lemonade. Did Windows serve steak or prime rib or was it just available at Maxum's?
Did you have to get a smaller boat from the Spirit into the islands or did it dock at a pier? Were there good shopping places? I am so grateful for your answers or any
tips you can provide. THANK YOU!!! Peggy
Old October 31st, 2004, 07:11 PM
Gord

We're on the Spirit on December 3 and will provide all the info you need at that point. Of course, news from people who have been on the Spirit before is alwasy appreciated.

Gord
Old October 31st, 2004, 07:56 PM
Passenger

We will be on the NCL Spirit Western Caribbean cruise leaving on November 14 and will be happy to answer any questions you have after we return. I know how much I appreciate any information any Spirit cruisers will provide.
Old November 1st, 2004, 12:53 PM
cruiserkaren

PeggyAnn, We went to Roatan and Belize (be glad you're not going here!). Cozumel is so much better than Belize. In Roatan we just took a taxi to the Mayan Princess Resort. It's beautiful there. There is a lot going on and the water is calm and just stunning. On the way there the taxi driver took us around the island. It's very mountainous (sp?). There are stops along the way, he let us out to get pictures, that will just take your breath away. I love this place and would love to go back. We didn't book thru the ship. Just went on our own. There are lots of beaches in Cozumel. I've been there quite a few times. My favorite was an excursion we did on our honeymoon that was to a place called Passion Island. It was thru Royal Caribbean and 4 1/2 years ago so I don't know the status of it now. You could probably do some research on it and find out if there is any updated info. I didn't have a coke card. Don't drink that much Coke. We're all Pepsi fans too so we were going thru withdrawls!! They don't have lemonade available like they do tea. Not sure if you can buy a lemonade either. I know they do have cranberry juice b/c I got my 1 year old one! That's all I know. They had Coke, Sprite, and Diet Coke. I think that's all as far as soda. We docked in Roatan but there was another NCL ship that came in after us and it had to anchor. Cozumel you should also dock at. That was a major reason I didn't like Belize. We anchored bascially in the middle of ocean and then had to tender in. You could barely see the town from the ship. I have tendered before but never this far away. Anyway that doesn't matter since you're not going there. Also about the steak. Hubby and I got a night out and went to the Garden Room. The service was excellent. I had filget mingon (sp??) and it was wonderful. Not sure about Windows, never even stepped foot in there. My parents did go one night and after 50 minutes they had only been served their appetizers and ended up leaving. I don't think that was the norm though, just bad luck. Hope this helps. I know all about unhelpful online TA's. This past one I used was the worst. Not helpful at all.
Old November 1st, 2004, 09:50 PM
Passenger

Cruiserkaren,
You were so gracious to provide answers to my many questions. I feel much better about the cruise now. We did receive our final tickets today and it does say we will be going to Roatan instead of Grand Cayman. After your description, I am looking forward to Roatan.
Thanks again for your help.
Old November 3rd, 2004, 12:40 PM
BOKCRUISER

HI GORD! MY HUSBAND AND I WILL BE ABOARD THE NCL SPIRIT 12/3/04 ALSO.

HOPE WE ALL HAVE GREAT WEATHER AND A WONDERFUL TIME!!! HOPE TO KEEP

A JOURNAL AND POST A REVIEW UPON OUR RETURN.
Old November 4th, 2004, 08:18 PM
Passenger

We just came back from a 9 day cruise on the Spirit. Spent three days in the Windows restaurant and got so annoyed with the Maitre D we stopped going there and went to the Garden Restaurant and we were sorry we didn't do that before. The only advantage the Windows has is the view from the back window. Hence the name I guess. You can just about always get some kind of steak in the restaurants even if they aren't on the menu. Just ask for them. Our 25th cruise and enjoyed it in spite of the service in the Windows. Have fun.
Old November 5th, 2004, 06:29 PM
Passenger

I was happy to see your message about steaks being available. I saw a small sample of the menu on one website and I couldn't find a steak on it unless you went to the restaurants with a cover charge.
Did you use room service at all? If you did, are you expected to tip? I know you can tip as much as you want over the $10.00 per person per day but not sure if an additional tip is expected/required for room service. We want to be prepared so that we don't start off on the wrong foot. We were told it was included but when we received our final info. from NCL, it states gratitudes are requested for room service. We have a balcony room on the 9th deck but not a suite. I have heard that makes a diference in room service.
One NCL representative stated that room service is included and one stated it would help if you plan to use room service more than once.
Thanks for any info. you can provide.
Old November 7th, 2004, 07:34 AM
cruiser1999

We just returned on 11/5 from our 5 day sailing on the Spirit. We had a balcony on deck 9, and it was sufficient for sitting and relaxing. Not huge, but comfortable for two of us. This was our first cruise so we have nothing to compare it to. Two chairs and a table are provided. Where our balcony was, no one could look down on us, and you could only see the neighbors on their balcony if you leaned over the railing.

We'll be posting a review of our trip in the next day or so.
Old November 7th, 2004, 10:10 AM
new2cruises

BOKCRUISER & GORD.... My wife & I are also on the spirt 3 Dec for the southern caribbean tour. This will be our 1st cruise and are counting down the days!

Hope for good weather & good times on the cruise!