Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 26th, 2004, 07:33 PM
elen

Default Majesty sailing 10/17

A friend of mine just got off the NCL.Majesty in Boston from Bermuda, I only got a chance to see her for a brief moment in work as she had to skip a whole day of work because the ship could not dock because of a bad storm. She couldn't dwell on it but said it was bad. Anyone on that ship???????
Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2004, 04:24 PM
elen

Default Re: Majesty sailing 10/17

No one came home from Bermuda on the during the storm? (10/17 sailing?)
Old October 28th, 2004, 06:31 PM
windswept

My boyfriend and i were on that ship!!! From friday, when we left bermuda, till monday morning was a nightmare!! The captain made a bad choice, I am sure he knew of the storm but proceeded anyway and placed all aboard in serious danger. There was fear in my heart many many times!!! I want to find out the captains name!!! people were hurt and extremely uncomfortable for almost half of the cruise!!!
Old October 28th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Jodi

I was on that ship and it will go down as one of my worst experiences ever. We hit a very bad storm on the return to Boston from Bermuda. All other cruises that were in port in Bermuda left a day early to avoid the storm...we sailed thru it. The swells were large and the boat rocked and tipped so much. Everyone we talked to (staff included) said they had never had such a rough ride. Elevators had to be closed. No one was allowed on decks and dishes were sliding off the tables and breaking everywhere. You had to eat in dining room holding onto your dishes and glasses was a must. As you can imagine lots of people were sick. Saturday eve was the worst gang plank came loose and broke 3 sets of 7foot windows on 5th floor. As the waves were coming onboard the water started an electrical fire and sprinklers went off. There was a code BRAVO called that night and the crew seemed confused just how to respond. Some responded to 5th floor as they should of, some huddled and cried, and some knocked on passengers doors (including my mother's room and brother's room) and told them to get their life vests on and head to their mustering stations. !! YOu can imagine the fear and panic. Captain then assured us all everything was OK and to stand down. He had to turn ship around and sail south for a few hours so the crew could weld/repair broken windows without the waves crashing in. We were told we would arrive late on Sunday to Boston 12n then told 6pm then told midnight and eventually we arrived at 4am Monday. My family from west coast all missed their flights and had to PAY to reschedule. NCL did not offer to help with costs of rebooking. We are happy to be alive and will not be cruising NCL again. Loved Bermuda but would fly there next time. OF note the service is also not as good w/the free style cruising. much preferred Royal Carribean for service and Disney Cruise line.
Old October 31st, 2004, 09:14 AM
First Mate

I would be curious to learn of the way NCL delt with the captain about this issue. Will he be repremanded?
Old November 1st, 2004, 07:55 PM
Beginner

I also was on that cruise my first time ever I think that will be it for me. Im very disappointed in the captain what was he thinking putting everyone in danger like that My husband and I were on the sixth deck they were banging on our door screaming to put our life jackets on the whole floor was in a panic I personally felt like I was on the titanic it was the worst vacation I ever had does anyone know does this happen often
Linda
Old November 2nd, 2004, 11:58 AM
Parrot Mom

The problem is that if the ship didn't head to Bermuda the passengers would be furious.. they would possibly of headed to Canada.. We were on the Sea last year when they had to go north instead of Bermuda and the threats, crying (yes, crying), calling of the media because they couldn't go to Bermuda was upsetting..If we had gone to Bermuda we would have been in the middle of a hurricane...I've been on the Majesty ten times.. and yes, we hit rough seas... BUT IF YOUR GOING TO GO THIS LATE IN THE SEASON....AND YOU WANT A REAL BARGAIN PRICE...YOU HAD BETTER BE PREPARED FOR ROUGH SEAS... you get no sympathy from me... I've been there and it's not fun...and I do not book after the second week in September..ever..Did it once and was deathly sick the whole time coming and going..I've since been able to buy a medication in Bermuda that takes care of the seasickness.. A few years ago on a RCI crossing the Atlantic we hit a storm that was so bad...I went to bed remembering whee the life jacket was...another ship, a Princess has windows knocked out...we outran it.. the waves came above the 8th deck..and this was the first week in September.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 06:34 PM
Jodi

Default Re: Re: Majesty sailing 10/17

I agree with hitting rough seas in Hurricane Season, but I also feel the crew should be well trained. To have some crew members crying and others panicing and having passengers put life jackets on and head to their mustering stations which was actually putting passengers in danger to go out onto the decks is unforgivable. The crew should know the codes and how to react. The crew should calm the passengers not put fear into them.

I also was not impressed with the cruise before the rough seas. My son ordered sherbert from the children's menu for dessert, when my father asked for the same dessert the waiter told him he could not have that it was only available on the children's menu....??? Ever heard of not getting something you wanted on a cruise before?? How outrageous is that. Especially when another member at your table is getting that dessert. I think the free style cruising makes the crew not work as hard to impress or please you. The crew (except for a few waitstaff and Kids Club) did not go out of their way to help or impress us as others have when we sailed RCL or Disney.

I personally will never sail NCL again and if I ever do sail again it will be from Florida.
Old November 3rd, 2004, 08:51 PM
Lee & Virginia Russel

This was the cruise From Hell. I mean that. My wife and i are both disabled. She is in a wheelchair,with MS. The cruise line would not let her off the ship in St.George with the wheelchair, they said we could rent one ashore,but failed to tell us it would cost us $140.00 for the taxi back and forth to the Red Cross Center in Hamilton,and that was only the taxi cost,then another $100.for the wheel chair.
The ship was not what the book says. The rooms were small. The food was great, i would call the food 5 star..
They didnt care for the handicap at all. It was hard to move around the ship due to the thresholds rises about evey 30feet,and they offered no help at all.
The cruise back to the states was a nightmare. We hit a storm that had 20 foot swells,and that is according to the coast guard reports, it was clasified as the third biggest storm of the century according to the news reports. The gangplank on the front of the ship broke loose in the storm and crashed through the front windows causing the ship to start flooding. The alarms went off the everyone to get life jackets on . And then after awhile they canceled the alarms. Ship help was banging on cabin doors to put life jackets on as well.
This Storm started on Friday evening and continued until Monday morning. The elevators were all shut down ,the storm was so bad that most of the restrauants were shut down as well. My wife had to stay in the cabin for three days. And most everyone on the ship was sick. There was vomit in the hallways,and on the stairways.
There is much more to this but ive rambled enough.
I think the cruise lines should give us back the money for the trip as we only got 3 good days out of the seven, and for my wife she borrowed a wheelchair from an 80 year old woman and got off the ship for a total of 2 hours.
Can something be done????? Let us know. there have been several complaints to the news media in Boston and the news papers , but will the Norwegian Majesty own up to it, well your guess is as good as mine.
Thanks for listing. Lee & Virginia Russell Farmington, NH..
Old November 3rd, 2004, 09:28 PM
nervoussue

I was on the cruise that should of left the 24th. We heard about the horrible time you had. Our cruise was bad too. They were not ready for us to board on Monday. The rooms and rugs were still wet. Part of the boat was closed. The food was horrible. Probably food that was to be served the week before and since everyone was sick they put it away for us. We had to go through the storm too but not as bad as you. Everyone I talked too said this cruise was horrible. Most of the first time cruises will never cruise again. They should of canceled the cruise for the final week. With all the damage they were not ready for us. I have cruised on the Majesty three times and this was a very unjoyable vacation. Will not go with NCL again.
Old November 5th, 2004, 09:22 AM
Parrot Mom

Default Re: Re: Re: Majesty sailing 10/17

Jodi...sorry for the misunderstanding on the sherbet...my husband and I always order it after a heavy meal...there is never a problem. We have always had great experiences with waitstaff on the Majesty compared to our one experience on Royal Caribbean.. I again say that sailing this late in the year is very chancy..Had a friend sail on one of the rough voyages, but she never gets seasick and she said that many others were.. As for the food being five star... let me tell you when we were on the ship in June the food didn't hit two stars..When I mentioned this to somebody in Management she said that many repeaters told her the same thing...so "something:" must of been done... I know the Chef was from Austria....If you had a problem getting sherbet I definetely, positively would have gone to the Maitre de...and been insistent.. We hope to be on the last sailing of the Majesty from Boston in a year or so....