Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 1st, 2004, 02:41 PM
paljoeysmom

Default New Orleans Hotels - Free Shuttle to port?

Ahoy Cruisers,

We will be sailing out of New Orleans on 4/24/05. We would like to know a decent HOTEL to stay in New Orleans for a couple of days, precruise, that is within close proximity to the cruise dock, and perhaps has a free shuttle. My hubby just found out N.O. is having a jazz festival during that time. Any ideas, suggestions, your experience and what you did would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2004, 03:10 PM
Admiral

Default Re: New Orleans Hotels - Free Shuttle to port?

Frankly, I would not base my choice of a NO hotel on pier transfers. Easy to get a cab, nor would I stay near the pier. Since you are staying for several days- location is very important. Stay near where your activities of interest are. It is indeed a walking city, be very choosy on location of hotel, they are expensive in NO, if you only need one bed, Priceline may be the way to go? I recently used lowestfare which saved me a couple hundred via other lodging sites for 7 days. Try several.
Old November 1st, 2004, 06:07 PM
noslen3333

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Superdome for my cruise on the Dream. The cost was $99.00/night plus $5.00/day for parking. If you've never been to New Orleans, that's cheap for your car. Generally, you are charged 20 - 30 dollars/day. They had a great room with a balcony, a wonderful breakfast and a free shuttle to the pier. However, the shuttle left later than I wanted to so we got a cab. The charge for the cab was around $14.00. I hightly recommend the Holiday Inn. To get to Harrahs which is near the French Quarter(sorta) it cost around 5.
Old November 1st, 2004, 07:11 PM
Passenger

I agree with Karen16, do not base your choice of hotel on proximity to the pier. New Orleans is a very small city. I would suggest the Royal Sonesta on Bourbon Street. Get a room off the courtyard in order to avoid the street noise at night.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 09:12 AM
Mr. Tim

I am leaving on Jan 16 on Dream. What I suggest is goto Hotwire and check on price for 3, 3 1/5, or 4 star hotel in Downtown/French Quarter. Most hotels have free shuttle to French Quarter. You may have to pay $15 for a cab, if the hotel does not have shuttle to the pier. If the hotel does have free shuttle the line is usually so long it is not worth it. Anyway once you have price from Hotwire goto priceline and take about $20 - $25 off. Make sure you specify Downtown/French Quarter or Convention Area. I got the Hilton Riverside for $55 a night. Anyway good luck.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 02:06 PM
Passenger

Call the CVB of Greater New Orleans. They sent us a booklet with Special's, Restaurant's, Hotel's, Bed & B's, and things to do. Gives telephone numbers, web site address's and more. We are flying into NO then getting a shuttle from the airport (Ground Transportation from Airport to the Hotel downtown, found in the booklet) to our hotel, the Springhill Suites(booked though Marriott's web site, gotta great price!). You can also catch the the Jefferson Transit bus from the Airport to a certain downtown location for less than $2.00 per person. Only three long blocks from the hotel to the Cruise Port. The hotel staff said many of their customer's walk the two to three blocks. Hotel is close to restuarants art museums and one Street Car that goes from the Riverside Mall around the French Quater. We intend to tour Saturday with a visitor-pass on Street Cars and buses. Norwegian Dream 20/03/2005.
Greg
Royal Carribbean Enchantment of the Seas, June 2003.
Old November 4th, 2004, 01:03 PM
JulieHelen

Maison St. Charles Quality Inn (522-0187) on St. Charles Avenue--convenient location, free parking for the week of the cruise, and a free shuttle to the cruise terminal. Located right across the street from the streetcar.