Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 1st, 2004, 03:12 PM
Hendrik

Default Miami or Ft. Lauderdale

Is there any good reason to fly into Ft. Lauderdale instead of Miami when sailing from Miami? Airfares seem to be a little cheaper into Ft. Lauderdale. Is it a fun place to spend the night? Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2004, 07:58 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Miami or Ft. Lauderdale

Just returned from a 9 day cruise on the Spirit and we stayed in Lauderdale the night before and the night we got back. Airfare was a lot cheaper and we had a lot of fun in Lauderdale. Beautiful beaches and restaurants. Much easier airport also. We rented a car on both days and had one way rentals. About $40 a day. Left it off at a hotel about a mile from the Port and took a cab to the Port then a cab back to the hotel to pick up the car for a one way rental back to Lauderdale. Worked out real nice.
Old November 1st, 2004, 08:01 PM
Hendrik

Paul, that sounds like a good way to do it. What rental company did you use and what hotel had the drop off location? Thanks!
Old November 3rd, 2004, 08:34 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Miami or Ft. Lauderdale

I used Budget rental. They can give you the addresses you need if you call their 800 number. Worked out real good. The hotel is on Brickell St. in Miami. 495 Brickell I think.
Old November 4th, 2004, 08:05 PM
Hendrik

Thanks!
Old November 5th, 2004, 09:50 AM
newmexicoNita

If I had a choice I would do anything not to have to cope with Miami Airport. Lauderdale is a really neat town and a very passenger friendly airport.

NMNita
Old November 5th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Passenger

Amen to that. Security is a lot, lot faster and it's cheaper usually to fly to Lauderdale. There are some great restaurants there right on the ocean. The water taxis are fun to ride. We were fortunate last week when we got back because there was the boat show going on. A great area.
Old November 7th, 2004, 07:29 AM
cruiser1999

We flew in and out of Miami just last week for our cruise. We had a terrible time at the airport, particularly with the departure. I would recommend avoiding it if possible, I know we will try to do so in the future.
Old November 7th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Rich B

My wife and I have sailed out of Miami 8 times and we flew in and out of Miami airport only one time.The other times were out of Ft.Lauderdale and will continue to do so. Ft. Lauderdale is better all the way around.
Old November 13th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Javagirl

I live in Florida, have flown into mia and fll from north for cruises. While I do like Ft. L, consider how high maintenance you want you arrival/embarkation and debarkation/departure to be. Do you want to risk traffic from Mia to FLL or vice versa? And it sounds a little complicated to arrive in FLL, rent a car, drive to MIA, drop off the car, pay cab to take you to port and then repeat the process after you've spent all that time maxin' and relaxin? It definitely sounds more expensive than just getting a cab from the airport. If money and time are not an issue, then go for it. Ft. L is LOTS and LOTS of fun. If you are going to spend a couple of days there, you will definitely want a rental car. B sure to go to Beach Place (they have Howl at the Moon..dueling pianos), Sloppy Joe's (key-west style bar), go to Las Olas Riverfront (fine dining, clubs, people watching)

Hope that helps
Old November 13th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Passenger

Our airfare to Miami instead of FLL was $120 per person more so Lauderdale was a lot cheaper in the long run. Hotels in Lauderdale are cheaper than Miami if you want to head down the day before like we do and visit friends and just to make sure you're there. It cost $40 a day for the car and we were able to head to Lauderdale go eat and we went to Howl at the Moon which was great. Then go to the hotel and the airport the next day. I don't think you could do that if you stayed in Miamifor $40 without renting a car. It really was no problem at all to leave the car off and cab it to the ship and the same on debarkation day. I've been on 25 cruises and this was the most relaxed departure we have had. As far as traffic, the ship was leaving in the afternoon so we got there around noon and no problem.
Old November 26th, 2004, 12:16 AM
San Diego Sally

Can someone recommend a hotel in Fort Lauderdale. Sailing Spirit on Dec. 26 out of Miami. We're flying into Ft. Lauderdale the day before the flight.
Sally
Old November 26th, 2004, 10:28 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

In March Daughter & I flew into FLL Fri night for our Sun cruise from MIA. we rented a car from Alamo($35/day total for a mid size), stayed outside the airport/city for about $40/nite. Shopped, ate, toured, went to the beach and returned the car to the MIA aiport with an Alamo shuttle to the pier.
Old November 26th, 2004, 06:17 PM
Passenger

To the folks who flew into MIA:
How did you get from the airport to the port? I'm wondering if taxis are readily available or would it make sense to make a cab reservation in advance?