Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 2nd, 2004, 08:04 AM
lovecruising

Default Visa Check Card

I have a visa check card, basically a debt card with the visa logo. Is this accepted by NCL. I was wondering what the policy was. Is there a limit. Do they hold payment or anything. Trying to figure out if I should use that or cash for the onboard credit account.
Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2004, 11:44 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Visa Check Card

lovecruising,

You can use your Visa check card, however, NCL gets a pre authorization, and some banks place a hold on your account for up to thirty days. You should check with your bank as to its policy concerning holds. I use my check card for all purchases, and always have the money allotted for the trip in my savings account until just before I leave so that I can still pay my bills, and transfer the cruise money in 24 hours before. Hope this helps.

Bill

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the tradewinds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
Mark Twain
Old November 6th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Beginner

Be careful with the checkcards. My mom just had her bank account wiped out by someone cloning hers.
Old November 10th, 2004, 05:05 PM
pata

Just my opinion, but if possible use a credit card for onboard credit account. I just learned today that NCL even places temporary charges on credit cards prior to payment of onboard account. Was advised these charges would drop off in 5 to 7 business days after end of cruise. This was new to me. All accounts must be paid before anyone can leave the ship. So, if there are any problems that cannot be worked out to your satisfaction you have the option of disputing a credit card charge after the cruise. Not so with a debit card. Also, once you authorize a debit hold you have no control of the amount of the hold. Hope this helps.