Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 15th, 2004, 01:08 PM
Gay

Default Buying Jewelry in Alaska

I have traveled on the Norwegian Star to Alaska and plan to go back again next summer. We were told by Star personnel how cheap the prices were for diamonds and other jewels. I was not interested in making any diamond purchases at that time but may be interested next summer. Can someone tell me your experiences in buying diamonds and other jewelry items in Alaska? How do the prices compare to prices in the States. They said they were "Caribbean prices", but I am not sure what Caribbean prices are. Information on ANY PRECIOUS STONES will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old November 16th, 2004, 02:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Sterling Silver
Default Re: Buying Jewelry in Alaska

Gay, your question: "How do the prices compare to prices in the states" requires a response from an Alaskan. As of July 7, 1958 Alaska ACTUALLY BECAME THE 49TH STATE OF THE UNION! That's alright, Gay, we hear it all the time up here, as does Hawaii. Up here we usually use the term "the lower 48" when referring to you folks down there. We will still be more than happy to welcome you up here. I really don't know about the prices of jewelry up here (sorry). Why don't you get something Alaskan, like some walrus ivory or some Alaskan gold?
Let me know when you are coming, I'll buy you a drink at the Red Dog Saloon.
Old November 16th, 2004, 08:07 AM
Gay

Oops!!! I should have said the lower 48. Sorry. I love Alaska and proud that they are part of the USA!!!! I wonder if they sell many diamonds to cruisers but they really do push the jewels.
Old November 17th, 2004, 07:01 PM
Passenger

To Gay
We did the Alaska cruise in June and highly recommend locally made craft and
souvenirs. We enjoyed the scenery and the tours in Ketchikan, Juneau and
Skagway.It is beyond me why anyone would buy any jewellery from the tourist
traps there.At seasons end these merchants pick up and head for the carribeann
and it's the same thing at the same prices all over again. We know....we've seen
it personally.Sterling Silver is right.... go for the local and home grown goods.
Anyway, take in as much nature and history as you can... it's great!
BON VOYAGE
Old November 20th, 2004, 10:03 PM
CW

The jewlery is a trap. You can get some ok deals, however. In many of the jewlery shops that are run by people from the Carribian or other countries the prices on the jewlry are marked up much higher than they are willing to sell them for, and they will bargin with you. But local shops have set prices and are not trying to rip you off. I would recomend buying from the locals. Alaska has some great native artwork and history, that is better to spend your time on. Alaska also has wonderful fishing, we went fishing with chasina bay charter and had a wonderful time. Have fun on your trip.
Old November 21st, 2004, 08:08 PM
Gay

What kind of merchandise is made locally? All I saw was tourist trap items. some of the Russian made items were nice but overpriced, I thought. I really appreciate your help.