Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 22nd, 2004, 08:00 AM
Yeoman

Default Norwegian Dawn Questions

We are booked on the Dawn Feb. 27th. There are 6 adults going. My husband & I took our first cruise on RCI's Grandeur in Sept. and now we are taking our "kids". We will be in an oceanview on Deck 5 & the kids are in inside on Deck 9.

I'm a planner so I hope I don't drive you all crazy asking questions, but here goes (so far):

I've read there are coffee makers in all the cabins. Is this like in hotel rooms? A small two cup one? Is coffee & tea supplied with it? Can I bring my own tea bags to use?

Are there fridges in all cabins? Safes? Do safes work with your own credit card to open/close?

Tips are automatically added to your account? Do you get vouchers to hand out at the end of the cruise? Do you tip your cabin attendant at the beginning of the cruise? We did on the Grandeur. When you buy alcohol 15% is added automatically, correct? But should you still tip the server?

Is the fitness centre free? My son works out 3 times a week & will want to use the gym. Is there weight lifting equipment? Can you use the indoor pool in the gym/spa even if you aren't using the facilities? We're sailing from New York in Feb. so it may be a little cool outside!

How are the shops? Lots of variety? Ship souvenirs? Are there daily specials?

I think that's all (for now). Thanks so much for any help you can give.
Nancy

Explorer of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2004, 08:44 AM
Good Evans

Default Re: Norwegian Dawn Questions

Hi Rebel, We had inside cabins on deck 9 and 10, think they were JJ?? There was NO coffee machine, sorry. We had a kettle and sugar and sachet coffee ( as from UK , I always take my PG Tips anyway!!!), they never left UTH milk, so we had to smuggle them from the buffett, I supposed if I had asked I would have received but abit shy too!!
There was a mini fridge, handy again to smuggle down left over beers from our helmets. We had two adults and two kids in ours, aged 6 and 8, and dad on deck 10. Son had the pull down bed from the wall, and if you pull out the one under the bed it makes up the width of stateroom. The bathroom was really spacious actually and nice shower, we had four big suitcases (one ready for the shopping in NY !!) beds and pillows were lovely.... and they cabin staff were great
Old November 23rd, 2004, 07:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

The safes work on a combination which you can set and change as often as you would like. There is a small shop right off the main lobby which sells decorative items and then the Galleria which is a large area containing different sections - jewelry, clothing, souveniers, liquor etc. Seemed like the normal cruise line shops. I think they did run daily specials. There were some souveniers.

Good Evans was right about the coffee maker. It only makes hot water and they give you packets of coffee, tea bags, and creamer.

The tip is just added on to your bill for shipboard expenses. You can tip anyone extra if you choose. They no longer add the 15% to your drink orders, but encourage you to do it yourself. (This from their website).

The gym is free and is very well equipped with machines and free weights. The saunas and indoor pool are open to anyone (I believe the pool is adults only). As for it being too cold to swim, you are usually into the warm weather by the middle of the day on the first sea day. After that it is usually warm enough to use the outside pool.

It's a beaurtiful ship and you will have a great time .
Old November 23rd, 2004, 08:17 AM
Good Evans

Default Re: Re: Norwegian Dawn Questions

Our trip on the "Dawn" was the Florida and Bahamas, but I've kept all the "Freestyle Daily's". Their issued newsletter, it show's the times of activies for the day and which bars are doing what happy hours, specials on the shopping, prices of wines etc etc, if you would like me to send you photocopies of them email me on ljeevans@aol.com, and I'll post them over to you. Oh, by the way, there are only two electrical outlets, so if like us battery recharger, video, gameboys, mobiles etc pack a muti socket adaptor...also to get view of Statue of Liberty go to the right handside of ship, about half an hour after sailing, (quick dash from lifeboat drill !!). If weather not too nice go to the front of the ship and view from "The Spinnaker" bar lounge.
Old November 24th, 2004, 02:29 AM
Beginner

After the workout, don't forget to stop by the juice bar right down the stairs...It costs but it's the perfect capper to a healthy exercise.
Old November 24th, 2004, 11:05 AM
steve3

They add $10 per guest on your on board account per day for tips. There is still a 15% tip on drinks. If you are a Latitudes member get your blue sticker on your card and you will get 20% of drinks in the Spinaker lounge. The gym is free, but fitness classes are $5. The indoor pool is free as well.
Old November 25th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Denise Blackmore

Dear

I was on the Norwegian Dawn sailing out of New York September 26th, 2004. Had a great cruise! Below are the answers to your questions.

>"I've read there are coffee makers in all the cabins. Is this like in hotel rooms? A small >two cup one? Is coffee & tea supplied with it? Can I bring my own tea bags to use?"
-The coffee maker makes about 2 cups. You could bring your own tea bags and just use the coffee maker for hot water....or just call room service to bring you tea or hot water.

>"Are there fridges in all cabins? Safes? Do safes work with your own credit card to >open/close?"
-There was a fridge in our room (we had a Mini-Suite) and the safe allows you to enter in your own password.

>"Tips are automatically added to your account? Do you get vouchers to hand out at the >end of the cruise? Do you tip your cabin attendant at the beginning of the cruise? We >did on the Grandeur. When you buy alcohol 15% is added automatically, correct? But >should you still tip the server?"
-Tips are put on your stateroom bill each day. So you don't need to tip anyone specifically, its all done for you. When you buy a drink there is an area left for you to leave a tip. We tipped for each order.

>"Is the fitness centre free? My son works out 3 times a week & will want to use the >gym. Is there weight lifting equipment? Can you use the indoor pool in the gym/spa >even if you aren't using the facilities? We're sailing from New York in Feb. so it may be >a little cool outside!"
-Yes, the fitness center is free. I found it to be quite large and there was an area with free weights. You can use the spa pool even if you aren't having a treatment. It was usually quiet in there because most guests were at the outdoor pool!

>"How are the shops? Lots of variety? Ship souvenirs? Are there daily specials?"
-There is a large shopping area at the front of the ship above the one main dining room. I didn't find any great deals, but you may think otherwise.

Have fun!

Denise Blackmore, ACC
Old December 4th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Rosanne

Hi Rebel,
My family of 11 just came back from sailing Dawn 18-28.
We departed from NYC. We enjoyed it so much we are ready to book next year.
To answer some of your questions. No coffeemakers, tip is included automatically on your credit card, no fee to use the fabulous exercise room, was a complete gym with top knotch equipment. Safe in each room, easy to operate, no credit card needed.
Hope this helped. Suggestion, take bars of soap if you mind just liquid soap in shower. Also, bring warmer clothes for the 2 days traveling out of NY and returning.
Rooms do not have a clock, so if you like to know the time, bring a battery travel size clock.
If you have any others questions i would be happy to answer via email.
Old December 4th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Yeoman

Thanks so much for all the great replies. I really appreciate the help,
Nancy

Explorer of the Seas