Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 3rd, 2004, 09:24 PM
Familiar Face

Default Is it worth paying for a Lei greeting at Honolulu airport?

We are going on the Pride of Aloha in January. I'm making all the final plans and am debating on whether or not to purchase a Lei Greeting at the airport. It's are first time to Hawaii and perhap are only trip there. Your opinions are appreciated.

Voyager of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old December 4th, 2004, 07:11 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to segerdsegerd
Default Re: Is it worth paying for a Lei greeting at Honolulu airpor

Well, it depends. Are you staying for a few days before the cruise? If you're heading straight to the ship, you'll each get a nice fresh flower lei when you get onboard. They are beautiful!
Old December 5th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Is it worth paying for a Lei greeting at Honolulu ai

You are going to get so many lei's through this cruise, it isn't funny. We got them upon embarkation and then at our luau.

And you can't do anything with them anyway - they just die. I wouldn't bother.
Old December 8th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Anna A.

We went on the cruise in Nov. and did not purchase the lei upon arrival. Not knowing how much it cost and at the time didn't know one could be purchased at the airport, I was disappointed that I didn't get one.
But you do get a beautiful one upon arrival at the ship, so maybe you will want to wait.The guy that meets you at the airport is great!
Take at least the $520 excursions, they were wonderful, enjoy
Old December 8th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Admiral

Here is what you can do with your flower Lei. At some point on your trip go to the Pearl Harbor Memorial. Bring your flower lei with you. Once out on the memorial, ask the guard to cut the string for you (they carry a scissors kust for this purpose).. The flowers can then be tossed individually into the water. Share some with the folks around you. Often a turtle or two will swim to the surface for a bite. Make sure you toss flowers only and that the guard knows you are doing it, no string into the water. It is done often and is a nice moving way to dispose of your flower lei.
Old December 11th, 2004, 05:59 AM
specialk

If you do go to the Pearl Harbor memorial, take the boat that is run by the state or the military and not a private tour boat. I don't know how much it is now but years ago the private tours were $25 per person and the state/military ferry was $2.50. The difference is the ferry goes directly to the memorial and the private tours take you around the harbor. It's not worth the price that the private tour companies charge.
Old December 16th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Eagle

A traditional lei gretting is a very nice way to arrive in Hawaii. The company I work for can arrange a greeting for you. Visit us at: www.hawaiitravelnetwork.com
Old December 26th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Barb1

Okay I am a woman so I am speaking from the heart but I say YES! The first time we went to Hawaii- it was on a cruise from Mexico to Hawaii. When we arrived on the first island- they greeted us with a lei- it was wonderful! We returned this past summer for three weeks and brought our two teenage girls. We did not know that we could purchase a lei greeting and it just seemed like something was missing.
ALOHA!
Old December 26th, 2004, 10:05 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Re: Is it worth paying for a Lei greeting at Honolulu ai

Thanks everyone. I've gone ahead and purchased a greeting. I can't wait!

Voyager of the Seas
Old December 29th, 2004, 03:07 PM
Happy Camper

Funny but I was so excited to get my lei when boarding it wasn't funny - it had been a dream to go to Hawaii since I was six years old - But I took it off quick!!! My neck started iching!!! hahaha Debbie
Old December 29th, 2004, 04:17 PM
venice

if it's your first time yes (it will be a memory you'll aways remember)...specialk offers an excellent suggestion regarding the Pearl Harbor Memorial (another memory you'll always remember)

the same logic applies if you ever go to Venice...take the gondola ride on the grand canal at sunset..overprice and hyped..yes...but it is a memory you'll never forget