Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 5th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to rehr
Default Re: NCL SEA baby diapers in pool?

The following statement is locatated on page 176 under the headline, Are Babysitters Available?, of the new NCL 2005 - 2006 Caribbean Brochure:

According to United States Public Health (U.S.P.H) regulations, no diapers of any kind are permitted in the swimming pools or hot tubs, including those marketed as "swimmers".

Hopeful Undetermined Cruise
Past Cruises:
Paradise 4/11/04
Old February 6th, 2005, 06:50 PM
pata

Interesting ..no diapers of any kind allowed according to USPH ...and yet many country clubs in the us allow swim diapers. And, NCl is not even governed by US standards. So, is NCL taking a stand on the diaper issue? Does anyone really believe that someone in a garden villa, who so desires, would not be able to put their baby in a swim diaper in the pool? Seems more like a rule for the masses and probably not enforced by NCL. Just an opinion.
Old February 8th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Icanflossu

Default Re: Re: NCL SEA baby diapers in pool?

Does anyone really believe that someone in a garden villa, who so desires, would not be able to put their baby in a swim diaper in the pool? Seems more like a rule for the masses and probably not enforced by NCL. Just an opinion.

Not only do I believe it, but if I were on the ship, I'd make sure they went through with it. If your child is not potty trained they should NOT be able to swim in a public pool. and YES, I have children, a three year old, who last year couldn't swim in the pool. I dealt with it, brought a small inflateable one and he had just as much fun. I know for a fact it is enforced on RCCL and NCL.
Old February 9th, 2005, 10:28 AM
newmexiconita

What has just been said is true: they will enforce the no potty train, no pool use: I have seen it happen and they really don't care where you are on the ship. Do some get away with breaking the rules? Of course! Some get away with smuggling booze on the ship, some of us get away with speeding (me) and some kids under 21 get served booze at bars, this does not change the fact the law and rules are just that and normally will be enforced. This is pretty much the same story we hear about Jeans in the dining room, do some manage to sneak in wearing them, sure, proabably every night someone will, but do others get refused service? you bet! more refused than served.

nmnita
Old February 9th, 2005, 08:19 PM
pata

True Nita, I guess we saw so much more because we did go on a Thanksgiving cruise and one of the crew told us the ship was 300 overbooked because of all the kids (didn't count so do not know if that was true). Anyway, we did see all of the above but still had a wonderful cruise and enjoyed watching all the fun they were having.
Old February 10th, 2005, 11:35 PM
Sailoress

ah.................... Familycruiser..........

Sorry, have been out of town for a couple of weeks..have not been up to date lately on here..

Exactly, what do I not get???

that statement- i do not get.....
Old February 11th, 2005, 01:40 AM
AMerican Pride

In response to the post that NCL is not bound by US standards is wrong. Any cruise ship that docks in a US port is bound by USPH standards and is "randomly" inspected twice a year. Also all must undergo an annaul US Coast Guard inspection.
Old February 12th, 2005, 12:03 AM
pambam

Wow. Well I think this family has cruised and returned and this seems to be such a hot topic. It is sort of funny cuz there is such a simple solution. We did tis when our children were younger. Put a swim diaper on the toddler and plastic pants over them so their is no chance of leakage. Then bathing suit over top. Check toddlers periodically to be sure they had no accidents to make them uncomfortable. Swim diapers unlike regular diapers don't fall apart in pools. The plastic pants protect the pool from any unwanted accidents in the water. Baby has fun, Parents feel better, cruise line is happy!
Old February 12th, 2005, 02:42 PM
newmexiconita

Pam your idea is great and worth thinking about, but one thing is missing: policy says NO ONE NOT POTTY TRAINED allowed in the pool................. I have always thought rules and policies were not meant to be broken. NMNita
Old July 27th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Beginner

Angry United States Public Health (U.S.P.H.) is a scapegoat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pata View Post
Interesting ..no diapers of any kind allowed according to USPH ...and yet many country clubs in the us allow swim diapers. And, NCl is not even governed by US standards. So, is NCL taking a stand on the diaper issue? Does anyone really believe that someone in a garden villa, who so desires, would not be able to put their baby in a swim diaper in the pool? Seems more like a rule for the masses and probably not enforced by NCL. Just an opinion.
United States Public Health (U.S.P.H.) is a scapegoat! Disney allows swimmers in pools!

We booked a sailing for August this year on Norvegian Epic and no one mentioned to us such rule, as the matter of fact travel agent told us to bring swimmers. Also, just out of curiosity, has any one been tempted to not put any diapers on their un-potty-trained child in pool area in order to comply? Rule does not state for child to be potty trained it only states no diapers, see below:

"According to United States Public Health (U.S.P.H.) regulations, no diapers of any kind are permitted in the swimming pools or jacuzzis, including those marketed as "swimmers.""
Old July 27th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pambam View Post
Wow. Well I think this family has cruised and returned and this seems to be such a hot topic. It is sort of funny cuz there is such a simple solution. We did tis when our children were younger. Put a swim diaper on the toddler and plastic pants over them so their is no chance of leakage. Then bathing suit over top. Check toddlers periodically to be sure they had no accidents to make them uncomfortable. Swim diapers unlike regular diapers don't fall apart in pools. The plastic pants protect the pool from any unwanted accidents in the water. Baby has fun, Parents feel better, cruise line is happy!

Did this really work?
Old July 27th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Admiral

I don't know about Disney, maybe they have a better filter system than other lines, but NCL, as well as other lines do enforce the policy. Your travel agent should take some continueing education classes as almost all agents know or should know the health requirements. As for th cruise line not saying anything, unless you ask why would they?

Nita
Old July 27th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I agree with you Nita. Five years ago or today.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old July 28th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Admiral

Let's look at the Disney Cruise Line policy for children, which does say potty trained.
Old July 28th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Admiral

Someone asked me once how to get a baby out of a pool....I suggested with a bayonet....
Old July 28th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Burke View Post
we were onth e wid dec 03 and Kity was 1 1/2. she wore swim diapers whichhold just about everything in and we had no problem with the staff.
"Just about everything" is nowhere near good enough!

No stinking babies pooping in the pool please!

And some parents even put them in the jacuzzi which is not only insanitary but can be very bad for a baby who cannot take heat like an adult can.

And yes! there are notices about it posted all over the jacuzzi area.
Old July 28th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Admiral

I've been on cruise ships where mommy and daddy put baby in the pool despite the rules. Baby made doodie and the pool had to be closed, drained, scrubbed, and sanitized, and was out of commission for a day. They really showed their courtesy to the rest of us.
Old July 28th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Can I mention my 2nd biggest pool gripe? People who wear their flip flops or sandals into the perimeter shallow area of pool, then take them off.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old July 29th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default wow

This is a really old thread. And it's still gross. My boyfriend, whom I married, says he's just as concerned with really OLD people in the pool.
Old July 29th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by suse View Post
This is a really old thread. And it's still gross. My boyfriend, whom I married, says he's just as concerned with really OLD people in the pool.
Well, I'm just as concerned about the party animals who drink gallons of beer around the pool all day then get in the jacuzzi or pool! Which is why I never use ANY public hot tubs. Personally, I think we seniors are far more likely to obey the rules. Nowadays, it seems like the majority of young adults do whatever they want when and where they want.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old July 29th, 2010, 09:19 PM
First Mate

The US Public Health Service specifically and strongly prohibits baby swim diapers used in pools on cruise ships, due to the high probablility of leakage that leads to increased Norwalk exposure amongst the other swimmers.

All the cruise lines - and plain common sense - prohibit their use as well.
Old August 7th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
Can I mention my 2nd biggest pool gripe? People who wear their flip flops or sandals into the perimeter shallow area of pool, then take them off.
agree with that one for sure.

Nita
Old August 7th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by suse View Post
Guess what, first of all that is a totally different subject for a different time. We are talking about health as well as ship rules and CDC rules. Regardless of what your husband maybe makes a point, but the health dept can not control seniors unless they too wear diapers. Then, they souldn't be in the water, but most do not. May I also add, we are not talking peeing, even if that is gross...

Nita
Old August 7th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacdenv24 View Post
Well, I'm just as concerned about the party animals who drink gallons of beer around the pool all day then get in the jacuzzi or pool! Which is why I never use ANY public hot tubs. Personally, I think we seniors are far more likely to obey the rules. Nowadays, it seems like the majority of young adults do whatever they want when and where they want.
And thank you, a comment about seniors is an indication of how some think huh? We do not use hot tubs either and I wish we could.

Nita