Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 1st, 2005, 07:11 AM
Linda Drumm

Default NCL SEA baby diapers in pool?

We are going on NCL SEA can babies go into pool with the new swimming diapers, not regular diapers? Need answer soon leave in 6 days.
Sponsored Links
Old January 1st, 2005, 08:03 AM
First Mate

Default Re: NCL SEA baby diapers in pool?

I think that untrained babies are discouraged from using the pools. However, many parents bring small inflatable baby pools. This way baby can cool off, without worry of urinary or other leakage into the main or kiddie pool.
Old January 1st, 2005, 04:52 PM
newmexicoNita

Barb's idea is the best. The policy on all NCL ships is not children allowed in any pools, even the kids pools if they are not potty trained. There are some ships that enforce the policy more than others I am sure. NMNita
Old January 3rd, 2005, 01:25 PM
Heather Burke

we were onth e wid dec 03 and Kity was 1 1/2. she wore swim diapers whichhold just about everything in and we had no problem with the staff.
Old January 3rd, 2005, 01:32 PM
newmexicoNita

Default Re: Re: NCL SEA baby diapers in pool?

Heather, glad you had no problems. I think the swim diaper policy is sorta like the alcohal policy: it depends on who you talk to and how you handly the situation plus the particular staff on any given week. NMNita
Old January 5th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Zach M

We just got off the Sea for the Christmas cruise. The big pool is 42 feet long and 6 ft deep, so the infant really won't be in this pool. the other pool is 3-6 ft deep. We have sailed with NCL many times, I think the baby diapers would be fine. The pool has a large enough area around the water to be able to let the child play in that also without getting in the water.
Old January 15th, 2005, 10:13 PM
ray b

No problem with the staff???? What about the other passengers who don't want kids and the potential of their overflowing diapers in the pool. If your kid is still in diapers do the right thing and keep them out of the public pool . Thank you.
Old January 16th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

I agree with Ray B, consider the other passengers. We actually had a situation a few years ago when a pool had to be emptied out completely because of someone who thought their baby's diaper would not leak. Surprise!! That "accident" cost everyone 2 days of pool time.
Old January 16th, 2005, 04:40 PM
coolrush

agree with Ray B, consider the other passengers. We actually had a situation a few years ago when a pool had to be emptied out completely because of someone who thought their baby's diaper would not leak. Surprise!! That "accident" cost everyone 2 days of pool time.

How? They drain the pool every day
Old January 17th, 2005, 02:34 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: NCL SEA baby diapers in pool?

After an "accident", the pool has to be sanitized. Feces in the water spread diseases like E-coli.
Old January 18th, 2005, 05:12 PM
pata

I have never seen one but have heard that the "swim diapers" are leak proof. They are filled with some kind of bead like material that is supposed to completely absorb by expanding. Of course, Linda is now gone on her trip, so maybe she will come back and enlighten us on the use of such!
Old January 18th, 2005, 06:30 PM
newmexicoNita

Hope Linda does come back and fill those in that are traveling with the little ones. As far as swimmy diapers being leak proof: well the claim is "they are" but this isn't always the case. I just think we all need to be aware of each other and concerned about other's feelings. those of us without little ones need to be a little more understanding at times (me included) those with toddlers need to consider their fellow traveler and realize "your little darling" isn't everyone's little darling.

NMNita
Old January 18th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Passenger

NO offense Linda, but if I see someone put a baby wearing a diaper in the pool on our cruise, I'm com plaining to the ships officers in a heartbeat. I think having to worry about "norwalk virus" is more than enough.
Old January 18th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Yeoman

Them swimmies are great. On the box it says up to 18 pounds. Well, they still got prettystinky when we got up to about 16 pounds. I don't think they would have held much more.
Old January 18th, 2005, 09:57 PM
pata

LMAO@cruiseguy! Since we are on the subject....what about those depends? Anyone ever wonder about that or I am the only pervert out here? Don't answer!
Old January 19th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Hazeleyez3

No, I agree... If people think it is alright for them to bring babies in the pool then ANYONE should be allowed in the pool - depends, diapers, and others that I won't even mention.

I too would be the one complaining to the staff about it - it isn't sanitary, and if an "accident" does occur other passengers shouldn't have to suffer.
Old January 20th, 2005, 03:21 PM
sailoress

Don't the eldery wear dependsMOSTLY because of having accidents in their pants- ie: urinating?

?

Yes

and how many of you have you peed in a pool, without wearing depends?

....exactly

Its not the pee we are worried about in our ships pools...

its the poo.

Urination, is not toxic, as your liver removes the toxins from your body- not your pee. There are small toxic substances in pee, but in microscopic amounts, which are harmless.

and i have yet to see an elderly person- let alone swim..but SWIMMING WITH DEPENDS ON in a pool.

an elderly knows when he or she can go in the pool or not- whether they have to go to hte bathroom, or whether its best if they stay out of the pool
a baby? i dont' even think a baby knows where its toe is.

really, when pushing things to the limit, this board sure knows how to do it.
Old January 20th, 2005, 06:58 PM
First Mate

"really, when pushing things to the limit, this board sure knows how to do it."

Yes, I know. Isn't it great ! :-)
Old January 20th, 2005, 09:00 PM
pata

Yes, it is great to be able to speak. And thanks sailoress for explaining how it all works. I did read where urine is used to take the sting out of a stingray bite....I think? So, unrine really is almost sterile? Thanks again for making some good points.
Old January 21st, 2005, 03:19 PM
Sailoress

Yes
Urine is considered Sterile...
its been used for clearing up cuts and abrasions , infections etc. back in the day.
Old January 21st, 2005, 06:59 PM
pata

Sailoress you sound like you know a bit. I have read in my favorite Dr. .....column that urine is not a health hazard. Really that is good to know. Thanks again. You say it was used to serilize "back in the day". Does that mean back in the day when nothing else was available? Just curious. ...maybe this topic should have its own thread. Seriously tho, I know even kids who are potty trained, when exposed to water, just naturally have the urge and I have wondered about this more than once on a cruise. Just makes me feel better about swimming in a public pool.
Old January 27th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Sailoress

NO

LOl you don't get it.
We dont' care if your baby pees in the pool. Even adults pee on the adult pool!
we care about your baby.. doing something else in his/her diaper.. that falls INTO THE POOL! serious health hazzard, as it is stated on a sign posted around the pool. Its like..the ministry of health that has put out this regulation. we just follow the rules.
No one wants to get in and jump in the water with your baby- TRUST ME.
BUt no one wants the pool shut down on an extremely hot day, because you decided to take matters into your own hands, and wreck the pool experience for everyone else.
Now if that is not selfishness- i'm not sure what is.

And yes, back in the day- pata, i believe i am referring to when there wasn't much else available. i read it off a website, when i did some research of pee, and if it is a health hazzard or not.
And don't fear about swimming in a pool with pee! Its quite safe, and the amount of chlorine that is found in the pools, will rid any bacteria..the smallest and harmless- will be killed by it. SO its totally fine.

yes, many have the urge to just let it go when entering water- especially warm water.
I have no idea the reasoning for this.. perhaps something else i will look up!

but really- glad i have eased your mind about swimming in public pools.
just watch out..for those...... other things.. !
Old January 28th, 2005, 08:28 PM
pata

..thanks Sailoress for making things clear! While on our last cruise, there were many wonderful elederly people that I wondered about. Thanks for making this a really clear issue. I totally understand and appreciate you input.
Thanks,
Pat
Old February 1st, 2005, 01:28 PM
Sailoress

those poor elderly people.. always getting slack for something! lol

again, glad you are at ease.

Old February 2nd, 2005, 03:15 PM
pata

Thanks zeno, that was informative and interesting. Of course we have no inhibitions about swimming in the ocean where all sorts of animals release daily!
Old February 2nd, 2005, 06:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

I cannot believe this post - you people must by nuts or goofing on everyone

Nile Romance Nile River 5/90
QE2 Transatlantic 8/95
Norwegian Crown Western Caribbean 4/97
Celebrity Zenith Panama Canal 04/98
Carnival Jubilee Southern Caribbean 03/99
Renaissance R3 Tahiti 11/99
Dawn Princess back to back Southern Caribbean 04/00
Norwegian Majesty Bermuda 09/00
Norwegian Wind Western Caribbean 12/03
Norwegian Spirit Southern Caribbean 12/03/04
Old February 2nd, 2005, 09:42 PM
pata

jimt,
please explain...babies in pools, for the obvious reasons, has always been a topic with many and various opinions...nothing nuts about it that I can see?
Old February 3rd, 2005, 09:35 AM
newmexicoNita

pata is right; this has been a subject of discussion for the past 3 or so years, since I started reading these boards. the same holds true for subjects like: smuggling booze on the ship, kids and cruising, acceptable dress in dining rooms, the pros and cons of freestyle cruising and changing itineraries or cancelling cruises. Such subjects make for good, spirited discussions and keep these boards interesting. I am not sure what is nuts about this?

NMnita
Old February 3rd, 2005, 03:29 PM
First Mate

Pata:
"Of course we have no inhibitions about swimming in the ocean where all sorts of animals release daily!" Of course - different situation.

You might want to consider the concept of dilution and size. Also people get people diseases, fish get fish diseases. I have never hear of an outbreak of e-coli traced to fish feces but I have heard of outbreaks traced to people feces.
Glad you like my trivia - I have tons more.
More trivia: why is wild salmon considered superior (healthwise) to farmed salmon?
Because farmed salmon swim in small confined areas that tend to get somewhat contaminated with their feces. Therefore they have to be heavily dosed with antibiotics.
Wild salmon in the open ocean still poo but as I said above dilution comes into play and they don't tend to come into concentrations of their own species' poo and are therefore healthier..
Old February 4th, 2005, 06:31 PM
pata

Well zeno, thanks again....all makes perfect sense.