Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 3rd, 2005, 04:27 PM
Passenger

Default Bringing own wine

On two past NCL cruises in 2001 and 2003, I've had no problems bringing a few bottles of wine on board. I'm sailing on the Sprit in February. Any recent experiences?
Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Crispix

Default Re: Bringing own wine

Brought lots of wine on POA last week without a problem. There's a corkage fee, of course. POA did not have a true sommelier, and we had to help open up the older bottles with finicky corks. All good fun!
Old January 6th, 2005, 06:04 PM
roxo

did u just carry it on?
Old January 7th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Passenger

Was the fee charged up front when you brought it on, or as you brought a bottle to a restaurant?
Old January 7th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Crispix

Default Re: Re: Bringing own wine

Both, actually. I had one bottle in my carry-on that they charged $10 at the time of boarding and gave me a receipt, plus a whole box (not a suitcase . . . a box clearly full of wine) that was delivered to my stateroom. I was told I would be charged corkage ($10) every night for the bottles in the box, and for the first night I just had to show that receipt to avoid a second corkage charge.

During the cruise, they did not charge corkage fees each time . . . our waiter would comp it frequently. Nice.
Old January 7th, 2005, 11:28 PM
First Mate

"POA did not have a true sommelier, and we had to help open up the older bottles with finicky corks."

"During the cruise, they did not charge corkage fees each time . . . our waiter would comp it frequently. Nice."

Okay I'm going to play my anti NCL grinch role again but...

If the waiter couldn't open the wine and you had to do it yourself, it seems to me that charging the 'corkage fee' would have been adding insult to injury. Seems they need to train the staff to perform 'corkage' before they charge for it!!

I think that you are a pretty nice cruiser to appreciate not being charged for something you didn't get. I wish all my customers were like you!!
Old January 8th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Passenger

Crispix -

I've had to help waiters before as well, especially in the main dining room. I agree with you, make a joke about it an just enjoy the experience.

Did you "check" the box of wine with your other luggage, or make other arrangements for delivery to your room?

Gardencat -

Thanks for your feedback. You obviously have very high standards. Do you have a favorite cruise line? I've been on RCCL and Celebrity as well, but not Princess.
Old January 8th, 2005, 10:57 AM
First Mate

ChadN

I agree that it is much better to make a joke of something like that. Makes your cruise more pleasant and also, why give a hard time to a waiter who probably just hasn't been trained properly? ( Also, making a joke and opening it yourself is probably the fastest way to get to your wine, always an important consideration!) But, if I were charged for 'non-corkage' I probably would leave a note on the comment card.

I've enjoyed trips on RCCL and Celebrity but for different reasons. I was on Voyager with my then 13 year old son and we had a blast. Having read recent posts on this and other boards about bad teenage behaviour, I'm a little ashamed to admit that my son did spend most of his time with friends he meet on the ship. Without much direct supervision. We did come across them as we went around the ship and they always seemed to be behaving appropriately and we always meet for dinner and heard about his day and his plans for the evening. If I hadn't seen him for a while I'd go looking just to check what they were doing, but Voyager was a big ship and it sometimes took me a while to find him. Now i'm wondering if I was being a negligent parent.

To get back on topic though. The many activities provided on the ship were great for him, and for that cruise the traditional dinning worked great too. The waiters were really good and quickly learned all our quirks.

I think my most fun adult cruise was the recent one on Celebrity's Century. The cabins were showing their age a little but the service was great, the food was good, I loved the intimate feeling of the Martini Bar area and the bartender there. Also the other passengers we meet were a really fun bunch and our tablemates made our dinners a joy. It didn't hurt that our cabin had a huge balcony where I loved having breakfast almost every morning.

I was hoping to try the QM2 this spring to find out for myself if she is indeed the queen of cruise ships or the dog reported by some early cruisers but instead,I have been lured away by the reported beauty of the Yangtze river in China. I expect a cruise down the Yangtze will be quite a different experience from the big North American centered lines but I'll let you all know how it went when I return.(Provided I survive the 23 hours in transit.)
Old January 8th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Passenger

Gardencat-

Good luck with the travel to China! That sounds brutal.

I sailed on the Century to the Western Caribbean in May of 2000. This was the only cruise we took without friends, so it was a different experience for us. I agree that as far as the quality/beauty of the ship, and the excellent food and service, it was the best cruise we've been on. I especially remember the stunning dining room in the rear of the ship.