Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 17th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Jim Lee

Default Charges to your credit card days after the cruise ends

Has anyone ever experienced what I experienced? Please let me know.

I sailed on NCL and returned from my cruise on 12/18/04 with a final bill of $881.25 which came out of my account on 12/20/04. Then on 12/27/04 another $28.75 came out of my account. It was NOT included in my final bill, I have never been notified as to what the charge is and it overdrafted my account. I have been in contact with NCL customer service dept. several times they have asking me for my bank account statements,and credit card numbers which I have provided, but still the NCL accounting dept. has not contacted me.

I have no problem paying the $28.75 if I made the charge, what I do have problems with is when someone makes a charge to my credit card I would like to be notified as to what the purchase is, so I can pay for it, and not just come out of my account.

Please feel free to email me at leese@rock.com or post a message if something like this has happened to you with NCL.
Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2005, 09:50 PM
pata

Default Re: Charges to your credit card days after the cruise ends

Hi Jim,
I will try to help if I can remember what I was told when I called customer service after our cruise. I had similar questions but only used my credit card and no checking account information. I am a bit confused. Did you use a credit card and a checking account? Here is what I remember about the credit card....our final statement from NCL aboard the ship was correct. When I arrived home and checked my card online there were extra charges that did not total to the onboard account. The NCL rep I talked to said they charged our card for one amount prior to leaving the ship and the other charges would "fall off" in a couple of days. And that is exactly what happened.
I am not a professional, but I would hazard a guess that NCL does charge one amount to the credit card to insure that it will clear prior to leaving the ship and then charges the remainder after the bill is totaled....thus two totals. Perhaps someone who is more familiar with the system can explain it better.
Perhaps this is not your situation, but it all worked out perfectly for us within a week of our cruise. Hope this helps.
Pat
Old January 22nd, 2005, 07:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Charges to your credit card days after the cruise en

I've seen this when I've stayed in hotels. They put a temporary charge to guarantee that you are ok for the estimated amount of your stay. It shows when you look online, but it eventually gets replaced by the actual fee. 28.75 almost sounds like the cost of a soda sticker. Did you purchase one of those?
Old January 22nd, 2005, 01:24 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to DPMinc

I think it sounds similar to a bar tab when you go into a bar. The bartender gets an authorization for one amount, then when you close out the tab, it gets modified. I have also seen where hotels will charge one dollar just to make sure the card is active.

Paul

Norwegian Dream, Sun, Spirit
Royal Caribbean Grandeur/Sea
Old January 22nd, 2005, 10:07 PM
Jim Lee

Thank you all for your responces.

I got conformation from NCL that the charge will be refunded, I've got a message into Daniel the person that credited my account but he has yet to return my call so I'm not sure what the charge was for or why the charge was removed. I will post another message again with his responce.

Dear Pat,
I used my Debt card. Thanks for the responce.

Dear AlinPA,
I bet you are right it was probably the soda sticker. I wish I had not throan away the original receipt from the last day of the cruise.

Am I just upset for nothing or do I have a valid complaint? Because I thought that if you have a final bill anywhere whether it is at a restaurant, Bar, or on a cruise ship that it should be final.
Old January 23rd, 2005, 02:09 PM
pata

Jim,
I think your complaint is totally valid. Sadly, in our day and time with the use of credit and debit cards, just about anyone can charge your account and it is up to you to determine it's validity. The nice thing about credit versus debit it you do not have to include your checking account info and can dispute a charge a bit easier. And, I agree a final bill should be just that...final. Anyway, glad you have it all straighened out.
Old January 23rd, 2005, 03:20 PM
newmexicoNita

I agree a final bill should be just that. If it isn't that the statement should read something like "estimate" of charges up to a certain time. We have been lucky, 16 cruises and never have we had a problem. Now on the other hand, the first time my DH stayed at a hotel (about 25 years ago) where there was a mini bar, well you can imagine the rest of the story. I got chocolates when we got home, he had his scotch in his room and enjoyed a late night snack: charges showed up and he had no idea why. Now he nevers goes near the mini bars. NMNita
Old January 25th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Jim Lee

Thank you everyone for your advice.

I still have not heard from Daniel on this charge, but will report on the outcome.

I wonder how many other people that this happens to but think that it was just a charge that NCL overlooked.
Old January 25th, 2005, 11:58 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Charges to your credit card days after the cruise en

Jim,

We keep every receipt for charges onboard until I get my cc statement. I also get a printout of our onboard charges the day prior to disembarkation so I don't have to go through the whole lot the last morning, just the last few charges on the account

richard

Old February 12th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Jim Lee

Hurray NCL never knew what the charge was for or how it got on there, they credited me the $28.75 and will refund me $30 for an overdraft fee. I would have prefered more but am tired of dealing with them and want it settled. They said that it could take up to 2 months for it to show up on my account.

Thanks to everyone for the postings
Old February 12th, 2005, 09:48 PM
newmexicoNita

why would you expect more? They made an honest error, credited you with all you had coming and that should be the end of it/ NMNita
Old February 13th, 2005, 04:37 PM
pata

Welcome, and glad you got your issues resolved. Makes you want to check all your bills doesn't it? Same thing happens everywhere. Glad NCL fixed the error...and most companies would not feel obligated to refund the overdraft charge...three cheers for NCL!