CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Norwegian Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/)
-   -   NCL Spirit any good??? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/219832-ncl-spirit-any-good.html)

Susanna February 3rd, 2005 04:05 PM

NCL Spirit any good???

Hi there,

Basically I am wondering if anyone can give me any feedback on the NCL Spirit?
We are going on a cruise Dec 29th on a 10-day out of New Yorl. i am so nervous wondering if I will enjoy this ship & iteniary!! Please if anyone can give me feedback I would appreciate it so very very much :):) Good or bad?!

newmexicoNita February 3rd, 2005 05:10 PM

Re: NCL Spirit any good???

Don't like to recommend another website, but try reading the latest review on CC about the Spirit. The title is the Spirit Shines; that should tell you something.

NMNita

Don Petron February 4th, 2005 08:28 AM

Just got off the spirit. I really enjoyed it. My only complaint would be that the dining room service is slow, and the rooms are TINY. The kids program is just amazing. I wouldn't worry about the ship. It is in great shape, very clean, well staffed. You'll have a great time.

My only advice is to bring more money and less clothes, but that goes for any vacation.

By the way if you are a poker player, they had a texas hold'em tables going every night!

Don

Ginamarie February 4th, 2005 09:43 AM

Don, I'm so excited about your review. My family and I are going on the Spirit during Thanksgiving week. (a group of 10 people). We're prepared for the small cabins, and will be happy if everything is clean and well staffed. I've looked at several pictures of the ship, and it LOOKS beautiful. As for the poker, my husband will be THRILLED about the Texas hold'um!

Susanna, I will be sure to post a review about our cruise when we get back, so maybe that wll help with your December cruise :)

newmexicoNita February 4th, 2005 09:58 AM

Re: Re: NCL Spirit any good???

Don, the Sea also had Texas Hold Um, but the stakes just seem so high. Me, begin me, I can never fold and just think I would have my whole life savings in every pot; of course my life savings doesn't amount to much. LOL

NMNita

ken levy February 4th, 2005 02:13 PM

We sailed aboard the Spirit on Dec 26-Jan2. It was wonderful and near the top of our list of enjoyable ships. We've been on 14 cruises and this in the top 3. Have no concern about travelling aboard the Spirit. She's great!!!!

Cruiser1999 February 5th, 2005 03:11 PM

Check my review under the heading "Spirit anyone?" It's honest.

newmexiconita February 5th, 2005 03:58 PM

it's pretty hard to check anyone's review by "Spirit anyone" I couldn't find any titles on any of the 7 or 8 reviews, but I did find 6 or the 8 to by possitive; the two that weren't mostly dealt with the cost of specialty restarants. All the literature, whether brochures, TA info on the net stress the extra charges and they are quite a bit less than those on the other lines. I believe almost all lines now have 1 or more extra charge eateries. This is the treand. As the price of cruises started coming down the cost of many things on the crusie went up. They will get us one way or the other I guess.

NMnita

gardencat February 5th, 2005 04:19 PM

Hi Nita,

Just try clicking on the word search at the top of the page then typing 'spirit anyone' into the little window that opens. You'll get a few things pulled up several of which will take you to a thread titled "Spirit anyone?"

Cruiser1999's review is part way down that thread.

newmexicoNita February 5th, 2005 04:59 PM

thanks Gardencat,

knowing your views I have a feeling I may not want to see what she has to say!!LOL

Cruiser1999 February 5th, 2005 09:15 PM

Here... sorry to take up a lot of space on the thread, but hopefully someone will find it helpful:

My wife and I just returned from sailing Norwegian Spirit 10/31-11/5. We are in our twenties. This was our first cruise, so we had no expectations or anything to compare it to, so take our review for what it’s worth.

After flying into Miami airport, we took a cab to the pier for the flat $21. We arrived there at about 11:30 and the Spirit had not yet arrived from her previous trip. The first few NCL employees we talked to were extremely unhelpful, but then we spoke to a very helpful Anita, who advised us to fill out luggage tags, give our bags to the porter, and they would show up outside our rooms later that evening. She then directed us over to Bayside, which is a shopping area on the water. It was about a 15-minute walk over the bridge. We walked around, sat on the rocks near the water, had lunch, and then headed back over to the pier about 3:30. We checked in and were able to board the Spirit then without a problem (scheduled boarding was 4:00).

Our stateroom was on deck nine. The size of the stateroom was adequate for the two of us. There was not much storage, but we made do with what we had. The bathroom was small but functional for two average sized people. The balcony had two chairs and a small table. It was comfortable for two of us. Not huge, but sufficient. No one could see us from above/below/sides unless we were leaning over the rail. After talking to some other people that had cruised before, they thought the stateroom and bathroom were smaller than those on other ships they’ve sailed.

Our days in port, we had breakfast at Raffles because we were pressed for time. Our days at sea, we ate breakfast at Windows. The same food items were offered at both restaurants, but Raffles was buffet style while Windows was made and served to order by a waiter. Raffles was average for a breakfast buffet, but we’d definitely recommend Windows if you have the time to sit and want a hot meal.

We never ate a true lunch while onboard. We would snack at Raffles buffet or grab a quick bite to eat at one of the barbecues onboard when we got hungry in the afternoon. We ate a lot of fresh fruit and sampled the various delicious desserts in Raffles for snacks.

We always ate at the sit-down restaurants for dinner. We alternated between Garden Room and Windows, depending on which had the shorter wait (the longest wait we had for a table for 2 was about 25 minutes). The same menu was offered at both restaurants. We have no complaints about the quality of the food. The food was tasty and plentiful. Dinners we really enjoyed were lobster, filet mignon, beef Wellington, and a Chinese pork tenderloin stirfry. The desserts were unbelievable. Bananas foster, cherries jubilee, baked Alaska, fresh strawberry mouse, the list goes on.

Our two days at sea were spent on Deck 12 and 13 sunning ourselves. Wait staff came around offering bar service. The pool was generally crowded, and we were disappointed in its size. We were expecting it to be much larger than it was. 4 hot tubs were located around the pool, and various activities and live music were offered at times during the day.

Our first stop was Grand Cayman, and since we had never tendered before, we woke up early and waited in line for a tender ticket, which we ended up not even needing. There was still quite a bit of hurricane damage, but it appears as though they are working hard and quickly to get the island back up and running 100%. We booked the ½ day tour (10a-1p) through Captain Marvin’s and were very pleased. We met at the store at about 9:30 and were taken via air-conditioned van to the boat (about 10 minutes away). The driver pointed out many sites on the way. Then we had about a 20 minute boat ride to the first snorkeling site. We snorkeled at Coral Gardens, the barrier reef, and then went to Stingray City. I would have preferred to skip Coral Gardens and spend more time at the other two locations. The fish just weren’t as plentiful or interesting there, while at the Barrier Reef our guide found us several green moray eels and multiple large and friendly fish. Also, beware... the stingrays are VERY friendly. We weren't expecting them to be so friendly. They practically knock you over when you first get in the water. They are harmless, but it's quite an experience until you get used to them! As long as you have enough time on shore, I would recommend booking the trip yourself. First of all, I believe the trip through the ship was about $80pp. It cost us $39pp to book it ourselves. Also, we saw the boats with the cruise ship excursions, and there were about 100 people onboard. Our boat had 12. We’d definitely use Captain Marvin’s again. We took the boat back in, and we were back to the store about 1:30. We then walked around town, sampled some rum and rumcakes, and headed back to be tendered back to the ship.

The next day we were in Roatan. We had done a lot of research, and decided to spend the day on our own. After exiting the ship without difficulty, we headed past the numerous cabs and buses, turned right, and walked into town. There were lots of locals trying to get us to “buy” their trips, and children requesting money. Some went away when you said “no thanks” and others were more annoying and persistent. Eventually, we found a cab to take us to Half Moon Bay (West End Beach) for $5.00 US. (They will try to charge $20-30 US for the trip, but the local rate is actually only $2-3pp US). We swam out from the beach at Half Moon Bay about 100 yards (past the sea weed) and found a reef where we snorkeled and saw many colorful fish (free of charge). Then, we came across a dive shop called Ocean Connection where we simply wanted to ask where else was good to snorkel, and ended up booking a dive trip (I am PADI Advanced certified). For $25 US, I dove and my wife snorkeled. My wife was pleased with the snorkeling from the boat, as there were hundreds of fish and beautiful coral. On my dive, I saw many many fish, along with a sea turtle, crab, and many other tropical sea creatures. The service was great (it was 1 on 1 with my dive master), and I would certainly use Ocean Connection again.

We had no problems with NCL staff. The housekeeping staff kept our stateroom clean and tidy, and brought towel animals in the evening when they turned down our bed. The wait staff was pleasant, quick, and efficient. Not overly talkative or friendly because generally, they were too busy for chit-chat, but they certainly did a fine job.

The motion of the ship during our trip did not bother us at all, however, we are avid boaters and are used to being on the water. We did see MANY people with the patches behind their ear but did not hear of anyone being terribly sick.

The disembarkation went very smoothly. The color coded system seemed efficient, and we had no problems obtaining our luggage or getting through customs.

We were very pleased with our trip and would not hesitate to book with NCL again. The freestyling concept worked well for my wife and I, as we are simple people, and really did not want to get very dressed up every night for dinner or commit to dining at the same time every day.

Sorry that this is so long-winded, but I know how helpful this board is. Feel free to email with any additional questions: fbe2228@sbcglobal.net

gardencat February 5th, 2005 09:55 PM

"knowing your views I have a feeling I may not want to see what she has to say!!LOL"

NewmexicoNita

Shame on you (sorry I need a big smiley here and forgot this board doesn't have them)

I don't try to suppress good reviews, I just like to make sure that all reviews get a fair chance to be seen without the poster being attacked!!!

newmexicoNita February 6th, 2005 03:00 PM

I know, I was just joking and actually it wasn't a bad review afterall, but very honest as he said it would be. GO NEW ENGLAND!!!!!

NMNita

gardencat February 6th, 2005 04:28 PM

Re: Re: NCL Spirit any good???

GO ATLANTA!!!

Oh sorry....... a little late for that isn't it.

lscott February 8th, 2005 05:47 PM

I read a bad review for the Spirit. I forgot what site I read it on. The woman who wrote it had a lot of complaints, she said she even got a full refund. Is NCL is adverising this as a new ship? I have also read that its not a new ship. It used to be called "Superstar Leo". What is the real story. Does the ship look older and worn? Are the rooms very small?

Ginamarie February 8th, 2005 06:49 PM

The Spirit WAS the Superstar Leo, and was recently added to the Norwegian fleet. Ive heard that a good deal of the ship has been updated though. I've seen a lot of recent pictures of the ship, and it appears to be in good shape. I can't imagine anyone got off the ship with a full refund from NCL, but you never know. I'll be sailing on the Spirit in November, and have been reading as many of the new reviews as possible, most of which seem to be primarily positive. My experience is that ALL cruise ships get mixed reviews, because some people are very easily satisfied and other people are NEVER happy with what they receive.

newmexiconita February 9th, 2005 10:23 AM

Iscott, there will always be those out there that are unhappy and some will claim they got complete refunds: someone the other day claimed, not only did they get a complete refund they were offered a free cruise. This is very unlikely. As for the Spirit, I know about 10 different groups that have sailed her and said she is beautiful, the service inpecalbe, and the food very good. Of course no ship, hotel, restaurant, whatever will please everybody and I am sure some have had bad experiences on the Spirit, but all in all most are more than happy as you can see from this thread. I do beleive the cabins are on the small side; as for her being new, this is how cruiselines market a product they have accuired: if it's new to them and been refurbished it's considered new. You are correct, she used to be the Superstar Leo.

NMNita