Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 6th, 2005, 09:24 PM
Snick's Guy

Default Jeans at Dinner

Hi Again---

Question:

Though not recommended, are jeans nevertheless allowed in the dining rooms for dinner? I know Carnival suggests no jeans, but there are always several who wear jeans, and are never "thrown out" of the dining room. Does NCL have a similar policy?
I was on NCL once (the Norway back in 1993), and I think I think I wore jeans a few nights in the dining room, though always had on a nice shirt with a collar.

Thanks for your replies.
Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2005, 10:01 PM
newmexicoNita

Default Re: Jeans at Dinner

I wuld bet in 1992 you did not wear jeans especially on the Norway; maybe the first night as luggage is still arriving to the rooms and sometimes eyes are closed to what the guest are wearing: Absolutely NO JAEANS on any NCL cruse are allowed after 5pm. You may get a staff on any night that will overlook the policy, but why take the chance? Wear docker type, be comfortable but also follow the rules This should be a no brainer issure. I personally don't think nice jeans should be an issue, but I understnd the policy; so rather than take a chance of embarrassing yourself just dress accodingly to the rules.

NMNita
Old February 6th, 2005, 11:21 PM
coolrush

I wuld bet in 1992 you did not wear jeans especially on the Norway; maybe the first night as luggage is still arriving to the rooms and sometimes eyes are closed to what the guest are wearing: Absolutely NO JAEANS on any NCL cruse are allowed after 5pm. You may get a staff on any night that will overlook the policy, but why take the chance? Wear docker type, be comfortable but also follow the rules This should be a no brainer issure. I personally don't think nice jeans should be an issue, but I understnd the policy; so rather than take a chance of embarrassing yourself just dress accodingly to the rules.

I wore jeans everynight. That is why this is freestyle cruising, as long as you dont wear shorts anything goes.
Old February 7th, 2005, 08:24 AM
Good Evans

Default Re: Re: Jeans at Dinner

Whilst on the Dawn in Sept we saw a "few" in blue jeans at about 8.00 in The Venetian.......I won't advise it though !!!......they were certainly get looks from others.
Old February 7th, 2005, 08:45 AM
mizboog

Snicks, Why take the chance. While on the Navigator of The Seas last year a 'gentleman' showed up almost every night wearing a tank top, shorts, and flip flops. I won't mention the smell that followed him around! I couldn't believe they let him in! I'm a very liberal person, but when I'm on a cruise I hope the cruise line enforces their own rules. NCL is laid back, but what's the big deal with putting on a pair of khakis for dinner with a collared shirt? If you want to wear jeans, go to the buffet. This may seem rude or harsh, it's not meant to be, but why not just follow the rules? I have two boys ages 14 and 11. I require them to wear khakis and a collared shirt if they dine in the dining room, and yes, on formal night they wear a suit and tie. It's the one time a year we all look good enough for a picture! So take 2 pairs of khakis and wear them for dinner!

mizboog
Old February 7th, 2005, 09:12 AM
coolrush

Snicks, Why take the chance. While on the Navigator of The Seas last year a 'gentleman' showed up almost every night wearing a tank top, shorts, and flip flops. I won't mention the smell that followed him around! I couldn't believe they let him in! I'm a very liberal person, but when I'm on a cruise I hope the cruise line enforces their own rules. NCL is laid back, but what's the big deal with putting on a pair of khakis for dinner with a collared shirt? If you want to wear jeans, go to the buffet. This may seem rude or harsh, it's not meant to be, but why not just follow the rules? I have two boys ages 14 and 11. I require them to wear khakis and a collared shirt if they dine in the dining room, and yes, on formal night they wear a suit and tie. It's the one time a year we all look good enough for a picture! So take 2 pairs of khakis and wear them for dinner!

Becuase I paid the same fare as you, if not more? If i wanted to dress that way i would of picked another cruise line. To be honest I have to wear all that crap to work i wanted a break from it, I was on vacation from it.. I meen whats it to you if i had jeans on or not my legs are under a table 80 percent of the time! Geeze
Old February 7th, 2005, 09:14 AM
coolrush

Btw dress is resourt casual every night, take it as you will.
Old February 7th, 2005, 09:24 AM
mizboog

Coolrush, If you picked NCL so you could wear jeans to dinner, then I guess you didn't read the dress code prior to booking. The question on this thread was..."Though not recommended, are jeans nevertheless allowed in the dining rooms for dinner?" It's not that it isn't recommended, it isn't allowed. I don't know why people have such an issue with following the rules. If you want a truly casual cruise, you might want to try Windjammer. I know I'll get blasted for this post and following the rules, but the attitude taken by coolrush was not a pleasant one. Whether I'm staying in an inside cabin or the owners suite, the rules are the same for everyone. It doesn't matter what you paid. We all got the same documents with the same rules, just different cabin numbers on them. And yes, I love to wear jeans. When getting ready to cruise I have to go out and buy clothes to wear to dinner. The cruise lines have loosened up with Resort Casual, which is a good thing, but if people keeping breaking the rules and the cruiselines overlook it, before you know it going on a cruise will be like sitting in the lunchroom at your local high school!

mizboog
Old February 7th, 2005, 10:20 AM
coolrush

Attire
Wear what you want. Dress according to your mood. It is your vacation. “Resort casual” attire is as dressy as you’ll ever have to get for dinner. But if it’s elegance you’re dreaming of, we invite you to indulge. Many of our restaurants offer formal options. If you prefer more casual dress, that’s fine, too. How you dress is up to you.

Q. What exactly is “resort casual” attire?
A. Resort casual is a much more comfortable way to dress for dinner. Basically, it’s slacks or pants and a collared shirt for men and pants, slacks, a dress or skirt for women.

This is exactly what resort casual means. I wore exactly what it asked for jeans(pants) and a collared shirt. Read it like you will be the only thing they totally disallowed was no shorts and they were very strict, like they should of been.

I Wouldnt even take a cruise if they said no jeans in the main dining rooms since iit would be a waste of money for me. When i go on vacation i go to have fun and let lose =/, not to have to adhear to work like conditions.

I would adhear to these rules and you will be ok. BTW i saw a good amount in jeans in the main dinning rooms, so dont let her say its not allowed. As long as you use your common sense it will be ok.
Old February 7th, 2005, 10:27 AM
pata

Snicks Guy,
To answer your question...yes. We saw many more people in the dining rooms in jeans on NCL Sea this past year than the year before. I am a rule follower and would be uncomfortable about breaking the dress code, but the truth of the matter is we did see a lot of people wearing jeans to dinner and none of them were asked to leave or turned away.
Just my observation, but the staff seemed to have little control about the dress code or much of anything else for that matter.
Old February 7th, 2005, 10:41 AM
coolrush

Just my observation, but the staff seemed to have little control about the dress code or much of anything else for that matter

They turned a bunch away when we went to diner. They seemed to stick to it
Old February 7th, 2005, 11:05 AM
mizboog

Coolrush wrote "I Wouldnt even take a cruise if they said no jeans in the main dining rooms since iit would be a waste of money for me. When i go on vacation i go to have fun and let lose =/, not to have to adhear to work like conditions. "

Well Coolrush, I guess you wasted your money on cruising then. Let me quote from the Welcome Aboard - Important information about your NCL cruise page 13...

"Resort Casual Attire is always appropriate - morning, noon, and night. If you like you can slip into a pair of khakis and a polo shirt, a skirt and blouse or a sundress for dinner. We DO NOT ALLOW JEANS , t-shirts, shorts, cut-offs, tanks tops, bare feet, etc, in any of the restaurants for dinner."

This booklet was sent with my docs for my upcoming cruise on the Sun. Not sure where you got your information about resort casual, but according to NCL, their idea of resort casual does not include jeans for dinner in the dining room. And yes, I just said it isn't allowed, because that's what NCL's rules are!

mizboog
Old February 7th, 2005, 11:10 AM
coolrush

Coolrush wrote "I Wouldnt even take a cruise if they said no jeans in the main dining rooms since iit would be a waste of money for me. When i go on vacation i go to have fun and let lose =/, not to have to adhear to work like conditions. "

Well Coolrush, I guess you wasted your money on cruising then. Let me quote from the Welcome Aboard - Important information about your NCL cruise page 13...

"Resort Casual Attire is always appropriate - morning, noon, and night. If you like you can slip into a pair of khakis and a polo shirt, a skirt and blouse or a sundress for dinner. We DO NOT ALLOW JEANS , t-shirts, shorts, cut-offs, tanks tops, bare feet, etc, in any of the restaurants for dinner."

This booklet was sent with my docs for my upcoming cruise on the Sun. Not sure where you got your information about resort casual, but according to NCL, their idea of resort casual does not include jeans for dinner in the dining room. And yes, I just said it isn't allowed, because that's what NCL's rules are!

mizboog

I never recieved those ever. Had i yes i would of canceled on the spot had i gotton those intrustions. Sorry to say though you are very rude. I have just presented from my point of view. I do not pay money to go on vaction to have to wear work attier. I dont care if you feel this is inapropriate but consedering i dont get to take a vacation often its what i desire. I also doubt i will ever take a cruise again knowing people like you are out there working hard to make people have a horrible cruise.
Old February 7th, 2005, 11:21 AM
coolrush

btw i got my info right off their web site. I never once was stopped for wearing jeans i wore jeans all but twice i wore my tux for one and slacks for the other. We wanted some nice pics with us dressed up for the captains meal. Then slacks for le bistro, but with the schedule of the excursions would of made it hard and tiresome to change that many times =/. Just wasnt worth it to do it with how tired we were as it was.
Old February 7th, 2005, 11:29 AM
mizboog

Coolrush, I'm sorry you found me rude. I wasn't trying to be, just presenting the facts. I understand that while on vacation you want what you want, but by signing a contract with NCL you agree to their rules. That's not to say that the rules aren't overlooked on occassion though. Cruising isn't for everyone, just like certain cruiselines aren't for everyone either. I prefer NCL because of the Freestyle Dining and the laidback atmosphere. I guess I just don't think it's that big of a deal to throw on a pair of khaki's instead of the jeans while dressing for dinner. By the way, which ship will you be sailing on? Should I be looking for you on the Sun or the Jewel? Again, I didn't mean to offend and I thought that I was just stating the facts. That's the problem with the writeen word, without voice inflection it can be misconstrued and taken the wrong way. My apologies if I offended, it was not my intent.

mizboog
Old February 7th, 2005, 05:05 PM
dawcruiser

IN 1992 THERE WASN'T ANY FREE STYLE CRUISING. THERE WASN'T ANY FREE STYLE CRUIING ON THE NORWAY IN 2001. I DON'T WANT TO ARGUE BUT I THINK YOU ARE MISTAKEN ABOUT FREE STYLE ON THE NORWAY IN 1992. NOW YOU MIGHT OF WORE JEANS TO SUPPER BUT IT WASN'T ALLOWED.

DON
Old February 7th, 2005, 07:38 PM
coolrush

Again, I didn't mean to offend and I thought that I was just stating the facts. That's the problem with the writeen word, without voice inflection it can be misconstrued and taken the wrong way. My apologies if I offended, it was not my intent.

Agree i appoligize also. I will be on the jewel in december. Our last cruise was on the sea and it wasnt any where near the stature as the norway or the elegance. True she has her own grace, but it was very casual. Also i think cruising has changed since even the early 90s. I understand the people who want to dress to the 9 and relive the glorious past of cruising. I have no problem with it and i try to not make anyone feel uncomfortable.
Old February 7th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Snick's Guy

Hi Everyone---

Didn't mean to start a firestorm with my post. I went back through my cruise album. I've been on eleven cruises. It was the Norway in July 1993. There was no freestyle cruising back then. I saw a picture of me at a table for ten. Eight of us are in jeans. Also, in the picture, you can see people wearing jeans at several of the surrounding tables. Jeans are not recommended, though they are not banned (Just like Carnival). Carnival seems to have the same line as NCL regarding jeans. I have been on 5 Carnival cruises, and can say about 1/4 of all people show up in jeans, though they are not recommended. No one seems to care about jeans, though I have never seen anyone get "looks" for jeans on Carnival. I also have been on Princess twice in the last year, and on that cruise I would never dream of wearing jeans to dinner, nor have I ever seen anyone in jeans in the dining room. I booked NCL this time because I was looking for a more relaxed atmosphere.

I am going to bring jeans. I will not wear them the first night, but if I see even a handful of people in jeans, then I will do likewise. It is my observation that people that want a more upscale atmsopehre will book Celebrity, Princess, HAL, etc.

:-)
Old February 7th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm not sure what Carnival cruises you've been on Snick's Guy, but I've been on most Carnival ships and I've never seen anywhere near "1/4 of all people" wearing jeans to the dining room for dinner. There have been a few on each cruise, conspicuous by their small number among properly-attired diners, but definitely nowhere near a fourth of the diners.

Grandeur of the Seas
Old February 7th, 2005, 10:16 PM
coolrush

Didn't mean to start a firestorm with my post. I went back through my cruise album. I've been on eleven cruises. It was the Norway in July 1993. There was no freestyle cruising back then. I saw a picture of me at a table for ten. Eight of us are in jeans. Also, in the picture, you can see people wearing jeans at several of the surrounding tables. Jeans are not recommended, though they are not banned (Just like Carnival). Carnival seems to have the same line as NCL regarding jeans. I have been on 5 Carnival cruises, and can say about 1/4 of all people show up in jeans, though they are not recommended. No one seems to care about jeans, though I have never seen anyone get "looks" for jeans on Carnival. I also have been on Princess twice in the last year, and on that cruise I would never dream of wearing jeans to dinner, nor have I ever seen anyone in jeans in the dining room. I booked NCL this time because I was looking for a more relaxed atmosphere.

That is my point if people dont make a scene about it no one will remember nor care. Its the people who wear holes and bring attention to themselves that bring it down for everyone. I didnt even think twice about it nor did i want to offend anyone.
Old February 8th, 2005, 01:11 AM
Maraprince

Although jeans are "not allowed" in the main dining rooms, it really all depends on the Maitre'd. Some passengers get in with jeans, some don't. If you want to wear jeans in the main dining rooms, your best bet is either the first or last night of the cruise. Since passengers are either waiting for their luggage or are wearing what they will travel home in, they are as strict in enforcing the code. Another point you may want to consider if you are planning to wear jeans at night, try adding a jacket with some emblishment -- a pin, a scarf, etc. to dress it up. It's usally cool in most of the public rooms so you will need a jacket anyway. And yes, the jeans should be clean with no holes.

Maraprince
Old February 8th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Passenger

I saw jeans every night (including Formal Night!) on the Pride of Aloha. Personally, I would never wear jeans to the main dining room. If I felt like dressing down I would go to the cafe or the buffet, however, it's your trip!

Marcia
Old February 8th, 2005, 10:21 AM
newmexiconita

I am sure you can find jeans at night on almost any ship as there will always be a few that will sneak in unoticed, but I have also seen people turned away, both on the Sun and the old Sky; also on Celebrity. I can't imagine how anyone ever got away with wearing jeans on any ship other than maybe a Windjammer in 1993 especially the Norway. As for Carnival or any other line, I must have been asleep when these people all came into the dining room: 1/4 in jeans, not on the ships I have sailed, not even the 4 day cruises.

NMNita
Old February 10th, 2005, 08:48 PM
pata

Does anyone ever wonder about our obsession of "fitting in" with what is allowed?