Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2005, 07:31 PM
PGamble

Default Mayan Ruins

Has anyone taken the Tulum Mayan Ruin excursion from the Norwegian Majesty while in Cozumel? Do you know if you have to take a ferry from the ship. I'm worried about getting seasick? thanks, Pam
Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2005, 10:33 PM
dawcruiser

Default Re: Mayan Ruins

From Cozumel youmust take a boat to the mainland.
Old February 19th, 2005, 11:56 PM
misses_him

yes, you must take a boat/ferry and my sister and i got quite seasick from the ride. Good luck!
Old February 20th, 2005, 12:16 AM
ute_fan

We went in January '04. It was quite overcast and very windy the day we went to Tulum. The ride over was bumpy, but not too bad. The ride coming back was EXTREMELY rough -- it was dark by then, and you could see the lights from the horizon bouncing back and forth at about a 45 degree angle. Luckily none of us get seasick, but we did make the comment that if that hadn't bothered us we shouldn't have any problems for the rest of the cruise.

If you know that you're prone to seasickness, make sure you have medicine with you!
Old February 20th, 2005, 07:15 PM
PGamble

Default Re: Re: Mayan Ruins

How was the excursion? Did you enjoy it? My husband would like to go, but we are not sure about the ferry, because of me, and we are not sure we would like to spend our entire time at the ruins. Thanks for your response. Pam
Old February 20th, 2005, 11:31 PM
ute_fan

We really enjoyed the ruins. The setting for Tulum is gorgeous, right on the coast, and very different from Altun Ha in Belize, which we also did. Some posters have suggested wearing your swimming suits and spending a little time on the beach right below Tulum. There were several people down at the beach, even though the day we were there was cool and cloudy.

We also had about 1 hour to shop in Playa del Carmen before taking the return ferry. I liked Playa del Carmen MUCH better than Cancun. We thought the shopping center (which was under construction) was a good place to shop -- but admittedly, we're not big shoppers. I would recommend going there at least once. We're going back again in May, and are trying to see more of Cozumel this trip, but I did enjoy the excursion.

The weather the day we were there was much windier than normal, which obviously contributed to the rough seas. In fact, we were on the NCL Sea, and we couldn't even pull away from the dock until about 2 hours late. The winds were blowing so strongly that they were afraid if they tried to leave the dock that winds might blow the ship back into the dock hard enough to do damage.

My sisters, who both get car sick, were with us, and neither of them had any problems. I was amazed that they didn't, but if you know you get motion sick, just take precautions.