Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 28th, 2005, 02:33 PM
LisaV

Default NCL Sun, Freestyle & the Solo Traveler

Has anyone traveled solo on NCL, specifically the Sun? How does Freestyle dining work for someone on their own? Will you get seated at a table with other singles, other people or alone.
I'm thinking of going on the Sun in Jan '06 and was wondering about this. Everything else I can handle solo, I'd prefer to dine with someone, anyone (ok almost anyone) else.

Thanks,
Lisa
Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2005, 03:54 PM
pata

Default Re: NCL Sun, Freestyle & the Solo Traveler

Lisa,
We have not been on the Sun yet but have been on the NCL Sea three times. We were always asked if we preferred to dine alone or be seated with others, so I am assuming you will also have that option. I do not know if there was a specific table for singles, but perhaps someone else who has traveled single will see your post and answer soon. If you are not satisfied with you responses, try posting a thread with "Single Freestyle Dining" and see what you get. Hope this helps.

Pat
Old February 28th, 2005, 10:20 PM
First Mate

I am about to go on my 8th cruise (4th with NCL) and there is always "singles get acquainted" get together on the first night. If I were you, I'd go see who else is traveling solo. I'm a single mom and always cruise with my college age girls and we have had a single woman come sit with us at dinner and it was really nice. The dining personnel know where you will easily fit in, if you also ask upon arriving to be seated w/other groupd/single or otherwise.

Have fun!
Old March 1st, 2005, 07:45 AM
LisaV

Thanks for your advice!
I did post this on the singles board at same time, funny no one has answered.
Since I like next years itinerary (did similar on Carnival Valor in Jan, but NCL has better times & I'd rather go to Playa del Carmen than Caymen) and I recently got over my fear of eating alone and with your advice, I think I may have to seriously look into booking this.
Thanks again,
Lisa
Old March 1st, 2005, 08:37 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: NCL Sun, Freestyle & the Solo Traveler

I have never cruised alone but I have been on the Sun. We were always asked if we wanted to share a table - so you definitely will not have to eat alone. Also dh noted a singles get-together advertised in the NCL daily (We have a single friend who sometimes cruises with us - so we are always on the alert for potential things of interest for her). I think NCL might be especially nice for singles since you can dine with different people every night (which I would think expands one's probability of meeting compatible people.)
Old March 1st, 2005, 05:59 PM
shoreguy

I have cruised several times on the Sun and just returned from my 4th cruise on the Dawn but the first one solo. The nice thing about freestyle I was able to eat with different people every night. I did eat one night in the Bistro solo and it was great. The staff became my tablemates.

You can ask to be seated with a group but the great thing is if you meet another group you enjoy the company of you can join them for dinner. Nobody is locked into a time or place.

I new a numder of others onboard from a rollcall on another board. In fact there where 80 others. I had diner with some of them on several nights as well as new best friends I meet onboard. I was concerned but it work out great. I may do it again soon.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 08:29 AM
LisaV

I'm glad to hear such positive responses! Now I think that I will book this, but have to wait for those tax returns first!!

Lisa