Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2005, 02:26 AM
jan227

Default Dining options on NCLSun

I've been told that there are 9 or 10 restaurants on the Sun, but I haven't been able to find out which ones have a cover charge or additional costs? I've heard some good and bad things about the food on this ship, and would appreciate any recommendations as to which restaurants to choose, and what kind of food is served. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2005, 11:29 AM
ute_fan

Default Re: Dining options on NCLSun

This information is as of last June, from our trip to Alaska.

The buffets are the Garden Cafe and the Great Outdoor Cafe -- both deck 11.
The regular dining rooms are the Four Seasons and Seven Seas -- both deck 5.

Specialty restaurants:
Ginza -- deck 12, Teppanyaki & sushi bar
East meets West -- deck 12 -- Asian Fusion
Il Adagio -- deck 5 -- Italian
Le Bistro - deck 12 -- French
Pacific Heights -- deck 11 -- Cooking Light

$12.50 cover charge for Il Adagio, $15.00 cover charge for East meets West and Le Bistro. Ala carte pricing for Ginza, also a $10 all you can eat Sushi. No cover charge for Pacific Heights. Pacific Heights was listed as having pizza & pasta at lunch time.

Now, it seems to me that I heard that one of the restaurants was changing to a steak-house type restaurant, but I don't remember which one. Food is so subjective that it's hard to just from other people's comments. We personally LOVED the food in the main dining rooms and found no reason to spend more money to eat somewhere else, but I know others disagree. NCL is the only line we've cruised, so I don't have any comparisons to other cruise lines, but we sure did like to eat what they gave us!
Old March 3rd, 2005, 12:30 PM
newmexicoNita

Rumor has it Pacific Heights will become a steak house, but apparently is still Pacific heights. yes,, food is very subjective; we have cruised 16 times and the only food that may have been a step up was Celebrity. Even then, we didn't like the buffet as well, of course buffets are not gourmet anywhere, not even the $30 variety in Vegas. We try to eat once or twice in the alternative dining rooms, but are satisfied with the main dining room food. One night on the Sky I did get roast pork loin that was very dry. That is the only meal I was not happy with. The problems with food reviews period on ships is "we forget" yes the food used to be better, but the ships were smaller. I love to cook, am rather good at it I am told and yet can't imagine trying to serve 2000 to 3000 people, 3 times a day. It is still banquet servie no matter how you look at it. The specialty restaurants are more like 4 and 5 star eateries at home. NMita
Old March 3rd, 2005, 05:21 PM
jan277

Default Re: Re: Dining options on NCLSun

Is there a fee for the ice cream bar? I know on princess they charge for ice cream except during the afternoon. Thanks for all the info on the restaurants!
Old March 3rd, 2005, 05:26 PM
ute_fan

Once again, I refer to my "freestyle daily". I don't think we ever ate ice cream on the Sun -- we were on her in Alaska, and I felt more like hot chocolate than ice cream.

The dining options, by the way, are listed on the last page of your freestyle daily, so when you board, check it out for information. It states that Haagen-Dazs is for sale from 10:00 am to close in Topsiders (one of the bars on deck 11 aft) and there is free Sprinkles Ice Cream in the Garden Cafe (the buffet area) from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 05:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

The free ice cream is now served from 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM OM
Old March 7th, 2005, 06:46 PM
k_m

Thanks for the info. It sounds like there are a lot of choices! It's my first time cruising with NCL (i've cruised with princess previously), and they had the anytime dining which seems similar to freestyle dining.

Just two quick question: do the 2 main dining rooms offer the same menus for dinner or are they different? Are there a few selections each night that are the same between the dining rooms and specialty restaurants?
Old March 7th, 2005, 10:40 PM
ute_fan

Default Re: Re: Dining options on NCLSun

My impression was that the menus in the 2 main dining rooms were basically the same. Based on what I read, there may be small differences in preparation, etc., but they're basically the same. That would actually be an interesting comparison -- I'll have to check it out for sure next time.

As far as the specialty restaurants compared to the 2 main restaurants, we never tried any of them, so I have no idea what their menus are like.
Old March 8th, 2005, 01:26 PM
newmexicoNita

ute-fan is correct; the two main dining rooms have the same entrees, but they are prepared a little different. The specialty restaurants will not have any entree served in the main dining room. The appitizers may be similar. Hope this helps a little.

NMNita

ps ute: first Florida steals your coach and now, I here your president. NMnita
Old March 8th, 2005, 01:30 PM
ute_fan

Hi Nita:

Actually, unless I've missed some current news, the president (Machen) went 1st and the football coach followed him about a year or so later. Now they just need to keep their hands off my basketball coach!!

By the way, I'm not too sure I'm speaking to someone from NM -- your team fouled up our unbeaten conference season ().
Old March 8th, 2005, 06:26 PM
newmexicoNita

Well I guess I got the order wrong, but just know they took both from you. As for us and your schedule, look at it this way: better to get beat now than during March Madness. Well, at least better to get beat now than the first round or two of March Madness? NMNita
Old March 12th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Tommica

Le Bistro on the Sun is a must. There is a cover charge. Order lobster and your wait staff will keep them coming along with dessert after dessert after dessert.