Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 6th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Jo T

Default Leave 1 Port-Return Another

Can someone please explain to me why some cruise itineraries leave from one port, but return to another? For example, Depart from Miami, but return to San Juan.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2005, 08:22 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Leave 1 Port-Return Another

I think this sort of thing usually happens when the cruiseline is repositioning its ship. In other words they have been running one itinerary on the ship for a while and now are changing to a different one.

This happens for instance in the spring and fall with ships that cruise in Europe say, during the summer, and in the Caribbean during the winter. The line has to get the ship back from Europe in the fall to begin its winter schedule but they don't want to miss out on revenue during the time it would take it to transit the Atlantic, hence the repositioning cruise.

It also happens in cases where the desired itinerary is in a long straight line ( eg up the Alaska coast. Some ships will do a 7 day northbound cruise starting in say Seattle and ending in Seward then do a seven day southbound cruise in reverse. In that case, people with the time and inclination can do back to back cruises and end up where they started.

There are also cruises which leave from Mexico or Canada and end up in Hawaii (or vice versa) this is because of some weird maritime laws which I won't go into here.

The Miami - San Juan situation at first glance doesn't seem to fot into any of those categories so without more details I can't tell you why they are doing that here.
Old March 6th, 2005, 12:43 PM
newmexicoNita

Normally it has to do with repositioning, other times it is to cover a larger area in a short period of time. Often the Alaskan cruises do this. We actually like the idea. NMnita
Old March 6th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Passenger

that cruise seems to be so you can do a 14 day round trip, diffrent ports on noth and south
Old March 6th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Jo T

Thanks to all of you for your responses. They all make perfect sense now. Tom, you're probably right about the Miami-San Juan deal. I only wish I had the time (and money) to take 14 days to sail. Guess I'll have to keep playing Lotto.