Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 19th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Ncl Dawn hit rough seas will not be in NY until Monday

There was an article in the New York Times today about "rouge" waves. They are more common than was thought before.

Give me a beautiful beach house and SAND BENETH MY FEET! YEAH!
Old April 19th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to frank_holland Send a message via Yahoo to frank_holland

Here's a site with some pictures of heavy seas and this kinda waves.
http://tv-antenna.com/heavy-seas/

I personally prefer a nice cruise like I've had all the times so far without having any problems with the water surrounding us, but....
When the cruise is nearing it's end (let's say, you're on your way to your embarkation port) and such a wave hitting the ship gives me another cruise for free, I think i'd like something like this to happen.

Sure it might be scary at the time it actually happens, but as soon as it's over it's just an exciting experience in my opinion.
Just my thoughts, without having the experience of such a wave during my cruises.

Caribbean Princess
Old April 19th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Ncl Dawn hit rough seas will not be in NY until Mond

Hey Ginamarie,
Don't worry...most of the people who slam those "liberal" attorneys are the first ones to call one the minute they get into trouble!

Old April 19th, 2005, 11:38 PM
Sooshie

Frank,

Thanks for the link...they were some pics....still wouldn't stop me though!
Old April 20th, 2005, 02:55 AM
American Pride

I have talked to co workers of mine that were on the ship and they say it was very scary, but the Captain and the officers kept the situation under control and the passengers informed. In fact according to the comment cards recieved from the guests after the cruise rated the cruise overall an 80% which isn't that bad considering.
As a side note...the couple that was in the cabin with the worst damage have survived worse. The wife is a survivor of 9/11. She was in the South Tower when the plane hit. Her and her husband decided to remain with the ship until it reached NYC and stated they had a wonderful time and NCL handled things very well.
Old April 20th, 2005, 09:19 PM
maryellen

Hi everyone,
I am surprised at the lack of comments from folks who were on the Dawn. My personal feeling is the people who were interviewed (the ones with the major negative attitudes)by the major networks were first time cruisers and unfortunately did not experience cruising on a finer note. I will be on the Dawn on May 22 and anticipate a great time!! Anybody else going May 22?

Happy cruising to all!
Maryellen
Old April 21st, 2005, 07:05 PM
On the High Seas

Default Ncl Dawn hit rough seas will not be in NY until Monday

I heard, today, that the ship was going to be met in New York by Donald Trump for a TV spot and was to be filmed as they arrived. Has anyone else heard anything like that? It was on the radio. I hope the Captain/Ship Line wasn't trying too hard to make it there in time?
Old April 22nd, 2005, 03:23 AM
America Pride

We have all read that and heard that on TV, but I can assure you that wasn't the case. There is no way any company would risk a $450 million investment to make $1 million just to appear on tv. Think about it if we wanted to get tv exposure we could make and show a commercial for less.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 11:16 AM
On the High Seas

No, America Pride, no one would risk the ship ON PURPOSE. Of course not. But if there was a TV shot coming up, one COULD think that they played into the Captain/Owners decision on which way to go. You think about it.
Old April 23rd, 2005, 02:19 AM
American Pride

I do think about it every day. It's part of my job to think about it. Safety at sea is any cruise lines number one priority. We are tasked to protect the people first and the investment second. EVERYTHING else takes a back seat. All it takes is one disaster or terrorist act to ruin our industry. That my friend would put over 100 thousand people out of jobs and even in some countries devestate their economy. So I definately think about it!
Old April 23rd, 2005, 11:45 AM
newmexicoNita

On the high Seas,

It's hard for me to believe anyone would really think the captain would, for one second, make a decision regarding the safety of the passengers and the future of the ship because of a TV shooting, not conciously or otherwise.

Geoge, maybe some will run to the "Liberal" attorneys when in trouble, but there are many, like myself that absolutely would not!!!! For your information, not all attorneys are liberal, only the ambulance and store front ones. Don't bash me you lawyers out there, I am 1/2 kidding!!! NMNita
Old April 23rd, 2005, 11:25 PM
On the High Seas

It would be hard for me, too, to think that for one second the Captain would ever take the safety of the passengers and ship over anything. You would have to read my note to know what I meant. Or, perhaps, I didn't state it correctly. The Captain is making decisions all day and all night. Safety, I'm sure, is always a part of those decisions. The number one part. Decisions should always be made with as many factors as one can gather in the period of time you are given.
American Pride: See how saying 'think about it' gets people to react? You are, in your own way, saying 'you haven't thought about it, dummy'. No reason to be mean. We are all just chatting here.
Old April 24th, 2005, 03:25 AM
America Pride

Not being mean at all. Just trying to stop an outbreak of "cranial rectal inversion" that tends to happen on some of these boards with regularity. And really getting tired of people bashing my company when they really have no clue. Don't take it personal, your point was well stated.
Old April 24th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Good Evans

Tonight is the first time that I have heard about what happened to the Dawn,... Here in the UK nothing has been mentioned at all.....we sailed on her in September...beautiful ship
Old April 25th, 2005, 08:13 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Ncl Dawn hit rough seas will not be in NY until

"Not being mean at all. Just trying to stop an outbreak of "cranial rectal inversion" that tends to happen on some of these boards with regularity. And really getting tired of people bashing my company when they really have no clue."

Maybe more of us would 'have a clue' if NCL made a habit of being more open about their policies and more accurate in their statements about what is going on.

It is a long running joke on many of the cruise boards that, if you call NCL customer relations three times with the same question you will get three different answers.
It is kind of hard for the public to 'have a clue' when NCL's own representatives don't seem to have one.

Also, if NCL was more forthcoming with information in cases of itinerary changes or problems, we might have more of a clue. For example, the recent last minute change in the Dawn's itinerary, about which they made only the vaguest non-information containing comments, and their statements at the time of the POA launch, (eg "we know of no problems on the POA" and "the cruise is cancelled because the crew is tired").

NCL corporate seems to have a policy of not informing or of mis-informing their customers about what is happening and then you complain when people speculate and accuse them of not having a clue?

Post Edited (04-25-05 08:13)