Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 16th, 2005, 02:39 PM
tigerlilycruiser12

Default Ncl Dawn hit rough seas will not be in NY until Monday

For everyone that is surpose to cruise the Dawn tomorrow, look at the ncl site on the news updates. It is said that the Dawn hit very rough seas and a huge wave broke two windows and 64cabins got flooded. The ship has to sail to Char. to get repairs and will not return to NY until Monday.

marie
Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Ncl Dawn hit rough seas will not be in NY until Monday

NBC Nightly News just reported that the Dawn was hit by a wave reported to be seventy (70) feet high! Four people are reported to have been injured. That must have been some storm. Shades of The Poseidon Adventure!

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old April 16th, 2005, 07:09 PM
yooyo

thats crazy!! omg thats scary
Old April 16th, 2005, 07:28 PM
tigerlilycruiser12

I just saw the news to. I can not even begin to imagine what that would feel like and I do not want to know. There is much conversation about this on another board. Someone email from the ship. Boy that must have been horrible.
Old April 17th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Avid Cruiser

Yes...when you walk up on those ships and see how big they are, its hard to remember that out on the ocean they are nothing but a tiny speck that can be thrown around at will. Thank god that seas that rough dont happen that often. Dont let a little rough water stop you from booking the vacation of your lifetime!

Although from reading this website...I am SURE there are a few people on here who will end up blaming NCL for the big wave....(AS IF THEY COULD DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT!!)
NCL get your act together! You should install wave deflectors on your ships!! ( No such thing, my attempt at sarcastic humor)
Old April 17th, 2005, 09:21 AM
mizboog

Old April 17th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Avid:

I did like your humor. My mind flashed, "Shields up!"

I do want to add that even though a ship is just a speck on the ocean, actually less than that, it is a testament to the designers that it can handle a 25 to 35 meter wave with "relatively" little damage to the ship or the passengers.

This situation has happened before to other ships and other cruise lines. The most notable was the QE 2. It was hit by a 30 to 35 meter wave in February 1995 that broke the bridge windows. Her captain, Ronald Warwick, described it as " a great wall of water. It looked like we were going into the White Cliffs of Dover.".

I personally saw the Crown Odyssey after it was hit by a rogue wave off of Palm de Mallorca in 2000 and spoke to a few of her passengers. It also suffered water damage, broken windows and two or three passengers were injured. The passengers were frightened but were impressed with how the crew handled the situation. The wave hit the ship in the middle of the night.

These situations are ones that the cruise line nor the captain have no control over. The ship did its job and weathered the wave and it will sail the next itinerary, even though it will be a little late. That isn't too bad.

For the passengers that were onboard I know it was scary but thank heavens no one was seriously injured or worse.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 17th, 2005, 10:30 AM
tigerlilycruiser12

Avid Cruiser

You are right. There will be people saying that somehow Ncl could have avoided the wave. Ncl should get there act together. lol

Seriously, from what I heard the crew was amazing dealing with this act of nature. Sure it scares me. However, it will not stop me from cruising. this is a freak thing and yes it could happen. But , if we all stop doing what makes us enjoy life because of things that happen, we all would not have a life to live.

I am just glad that many did not get hurt and ater the wave hit, ncl was able to get all under control.

marie
Old April 17th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Passenger

I wondered what time of day or night the wave hit. Were people on their balconies? Seems to me they would easily have been washed off if the wave came up to deck 10/
Old April 17th, 2005, 02:35 PM
aa

Default Re: Re: Ncl Dawn hit rough seas will not be in NY until Mond

Does this change your views about cruising?
Old April 17th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Kruise_Krazy

I can see the law suits now. The people wanting refunds and future cruise credits and some sort of compensation for the inconvenience because their vacation and their lives were ruined. Im sure the ambulance chasing attorneys are going to be lined up at the pier with business cards as people get off the ship. The more profitable law firms will probably take out advertising space on the Satue of Liberty so people see it as they are entering the harbor and then there are always the planes with the advertising banners flying off the back..............We specailize in monster wave litigation......call......212-555-WAVE.......
Old April 17th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Passenger

Nah. My sister and I leave on the Caribbean Princess the end of this month, and her comment was "Why doesn't anything that exciting ever happen to US on a cruise?" SHe's got a point. After all, its supposed to be a bit of adventure isn't it?
Old April 17th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Ncl Dawn hit rough seas will not be in NY until Mond

There will of course be a lot of complainers trying to score a free cruise,or a rebate, there always are. I'm always amazed at the number of people who think they should get a free cruise because their steak wasn't cooked properly, or they missed a cruise port.

But they shouldn't spend their law suit winnings before its in hand. Its hard to connect a "rogue" wave to some kind of liability on the part of the cruise lines just as an airline isn't responsible for an accident caused by weather conditions. As long as the ships equiptment was working properly and there was no way to avoid the wave, and as long as the crew took prudent steps AFTER the wave hit to keep people safe and treat their injuries, nobody is gonna get rich from this accident.
Old April 17th, 2005, 05:08 PM
tigerlilycruiser12

On another cruise board a postor saw the story on the weather channel and the poster said that a reporter was talking to a passenger who I guess had bad things written on their shirt about Ncl saying that Ncl spoiled their cruise.

....and it all starts Ncl responsible for a rogue wave. They sailed right into it so they can damage the ship...... right

I am just glad that not many people got hurt as it could have been a lot worse. Ncl has been working hard to take care of the passengers and making sure they are alright.
Old April 17th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Kruise_Krazy

I guess a few things do give me cause for alarm. First, why didnt they avaoid the storm system? Radar and weather reports give ships plenty of time to change course in most cases. I get the feeling that since it was the middle of the night and most passengers would be in bed they could ride it out instead of getting behind schedule by going around it. The other thing is I cant believe there wasnt enought advance notice to warn passengers that a 70' wave was coming. I would assume that radar would pick up such a large wave from quite a distance. So I guess there are definately some questions that need to be answered.
Old April 17th, 2005, 05:40 PM
tigerlilycruiser12

Kruise Krazy

I guess you have a point there. I do wonder if the passengers were warned about the wave as I would assume the radar would have picked it up. I guess we will have to wait and hear what more than one passenger says.

marie
Old April 17th, 2005, 08:38 PM
First Mate

Fortunately, the Dawn is over 900 ft long, and the damages were minimal. What if the Majesty encountered the 70ft wave? Would the situation be worse for a smaller ship?
Old April 17th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Kruise_Krazy

What about the SS Minow? Imagine what a 70' wave would have done to that boat? The Howells would definately have lost all those clothes and money they were taking on that 3 hour tour.
Old April 17th, 2005, 09:59 PM
papillon

I just read this on aol news. It said that the hull was damaged. OMG That is the prettiest Hull on the sea!!!! Fix it please.
Old April 17th, 2005, 10:27 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Rob M.

I just saw a news report on TV and they interviewed a passenger who was aboard and he said the jacuzzis on the 12th floor were knocked off the ship and passengers were sleeping in the halls because they were so scared.

UPDATE: From AP News Wire "Each passenger on the ship got a refund of half the trip's cost and a voucher for half the price of a future cruise, Robison said. "

Not a bad deal if you ask me, essentially getting a free cruise, 1/2 off this one and 1/2 off a future one.

You can shake me around like a snowglobe anyday for a free cruise.

Post Edited (04-17-05 21:34)

Crown Princess - Southern Caribbean 10/27/2007

Freedom of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean 2/24/2008

Radiance of the Seas - Hawaii Circle Cruise - Fall 2008

Past Cruises:
Grand Princess - W. Caribbean - Jan 2006
Carnival Conquest - W. Caribbean - Jan 2005
Radiance of The Seas - September 2006 - 14 nights R/T Los Angeles to Hawaii
Old April 17th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Capt Matt

C'mon people......yes that is a big wave but only two windows broken and only four people injured out of some 1500+ passengers and 800+ crew that is a very good ratio. As far as sixty two cabins being "flooded" that is probably nothing more than water running along the carpet and nothing more. I seriously doubt cabins were "submerged" or stuff was "floating around". I'm sure the experience was uncomfortable and somewhat scary to most passengers however the majority of the crew and officers have experienced gale conditions and are prepared. As far as detection goes good luck. If you have a large sea state to begin with it's very hard for a radar unit to detect a single large mass of water. It's known as "sea clutter" and while there is an adjustment on the radar for it, it is not a perfect science so don't expect precise forewarnings for such conditions. The bottom line.......Norwegian Dawn is a ship and she did exactly what she was designed to do....dish out the conditions given to her and arrive SAFELY at her destination which she did...period! For those who think they need to sue NCL for some type of negligence then I say you're a bunch of crybabies and to get a life. Nothing is more important to a cruise line than your safety and NCL did their job. People should stop for a minute and take a moment to thank those responsible for keeping them safe instead of deciding on who to blame first. If that's the case then you better find an attorney who's going to take God to court....after all it's His ocean....lol.
Old April 17th, 2005, 11:02 PM
Mr_Moto

Kind of makes those inside cabins all that much more attractive. Low cost, quiet and no worries about a 70' wave smashing through your balcony door.
Old April 17th, 2005, 11:04 PM
Bill Adams

I wonder if there were any other smaller boats out there when that wave hit?
Old April 17th, 2005, 11:12 PM
newmexicoNita

According to a person from another board who is on the ship, the staff has acted in the most prefessional way, NCL is offering a very good compensation and the damage, although bad from the flooding standpoint not as bad as the medai would want everyone to think: there goes the media again. The Dawn has been repaired and is on her way to NY. As for 70 foot waves, how many of you have spent much time near water? Just think how high 70 ft is? Yes I know that is the report. NMNita
Old April 18th, 2005, 12:06 AM
Passenger

I was looking for information about rogue waves. Found some at www.Answers.com
under rogue wave. It explains what they are and that they are unpredictable. Check it out if interested.

Post Edited (04-17-05 23:09)

Carnival Legend

Nieuw Amsterdam 12/92
Sensation 3/02
Inspiration 3/03
Soveiegn of the Seas 8/03
Inspiration 3/04
Miracle 3/05
Glory 3/06
Legend 3/07
Old April 18th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I can tell you that when I worked for Holland America back in 1993, one December on the Statendam we diverted our usual course for a four day round-trip from Ft. Lauderdale to NYC (a charter of some kind). Outside of NYC we hit very rough weather and by the time we sailed into NYC harbor (one of the most beautiful sites I have ever seen) we had snow on the decks.

We lost our anchor the night before, and everything was so rough I had to go into the theater and anchor several things down. I could see all the stage-lights above the audience seats swinging back & forth and one that looked like it might fall. I posted messages on door for people not to enter the theater.

Keep in mind - ships do encounter very rough weather sometimes and as a matter of course they ride it out as all ship captains are trained to do. It doesn't happen a vast majority of the time, but with about 200 cruises under my belt I can tell you I have seen a fair amount of bad weather.

Of course, normally the weather does not also involve a rogue wave, but they do happen. Cruise ships encounter them sometimes (I recall QE 2 was hit by one in the 90s). Thankfully, there was little damage and injuries were minimal.

I don't know about you, but if being on the "high seas" didn't have at least a wee element of danger it wouldn't be nearly so much fun. Though I do always carry the sea-sickness pills because I don't like getting nauseated.

And let's not bash the NCL bashers unless they actually say something negative.

Personally, I really admired NCL for taking this step to initiate cruises year-round out of NYC not long after 9-11. It showed real individual thinking, and their dedication to promoting cruising within the US market -- and I was aware of the potential pitfall because of my HAL experience. Things like high seas are a part of cruising in my opinion (for the bashers who classify us as over-eating, lazy sun worshippers) and it gives it a real sense of adventure. Just my opinion...

Old April 18th, 2005, 08:24 AM
Jamiegunter

They said this morning on good morning america, that it hit at 6 am. So everyone was at least in their cabins. Lady that was on ship said it had been very rough all night and that no one could sleep. I would have been very scared But wont stop us from cruising.
Old April 18th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Iceman

Hello all you must remember we are in a world now of media that likes to make things worse than they are. I have been watching my local news here in NJ and you see the same 3 people interviewed one guy saying and I quote " they were playing the TITANIC song on the panio and we felt like we were on the Titanic". Get real here. Why do you not see any interviews with passangers that say NCL did a good job under the given problem. I would love for the media to take a survey of all the passangers coming off the ship and see home many would go on another cruise. I am sure it will be a high number. I can't wait to see the afternoon news I am sure there will be happy and sad people and lots of LAYERS lined up giving out cards.

Iceman NJ
Old April 18th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Lappy

Ships like the dawn were built to withstand waves that harsh. The people on board may tell you otherwise, but ask the captains who regularly sail. Despite news reports that these huge waves are "Freak," they happen all the time.

Within the last four months in the Pacific and Mediteranian.

Iberojet's (Spain) VOYAGER (ex OLYMPIC VOYAGER, OLYMPIA VOYAGER) was battered by 30-foot (10 meter) waves in the western Mediterranean leaving the ship without power. With 480 mostly Spanish passengers and 296 crew on board, the ship (sister to EXPLORER, which was also recently left powerless by a Pacific storm see below) was departing Sardinia on a voyage between Tunis and Barcelona. A French-led rescue operation was reportedly under way to reach the stricken ship, about 100 km (60 miles) from Menorca. There were reports of minor injuries and the crew were battling to restore engine power. A liquefied gas tanker, GIMMI, was standing by after receiving the VOYAGER's distress call sent just after 0900 GMT February 14. A large wave smashed the bridge windows at about 0800 GMT, damaging electronics and causing the loss of power. The distress call said it was taking on water, the coast guard reported. Two tugs were on their way to the scene and several aircraft have also been sent to the scene.

The 591-foot Explorer, with 990 people aboard -- 681 students, 113 faculty and staff, and 196 crew members -- was about 650 miles south of Adak, Alaska, when the giant wave tossed the ship around in heavy seas, damaging engines and injuring two people.

Adak is in the Aleutian Islands about 1,300 miles southwest of Anchorage. The 100-day voyage began Jan. 18 in Vancouver. The Explorer was headed to Korea and Japan.

Since Sept 11th many people are afraid to fly, so cruise lines moved homeports north to accomodate those people. Guess what folks!!! The Atlantic is ROUGH!!! The reason most ships are homeported in South Florida is because the water is smoother and quicker to the Caribbean.

I just watched a couple on the news saying how could this have happened? Storms pop up in the spring all the time. That is just nature. Sorry that you all got slammed with that bad storm.
Old April 18th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Ginamarie

Why must everyone bash the admiralty lawyers at a time like this! I work both in admiralty and personal injury law, and neither myself nor my colleagues would ever be standing outside of a ship giving out cards. For everyone's information, lawyers have no need to go looking for clients who are looking to make a buck.. it's those potentially "injured" people who seek out the lawyers themselves.

Additionally, the attorneys in NY have little interest in this particular matter, since any cause of action passengers may have against the cruise line would be governed by a forum selection clause (meaning that you wouldn't be able to sue in New York State, even if you wanted to sue the cruiseline for some reason).

All I'm saying is that people shouldn't immediately assume that attorneys are bad or wrong, just like people shouldn't immediately assume that a cruiseline is bad, or that someone's opinion of a cruiseline is bad. There is a time and a place where personal injury lawyers are important: in helping people recover for injuries that were caused by someone else.