Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 27th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Passenger

Default Does NCL provide "box lunches?"

I will be travelling on NCL Majesty late June to Bermuda. It's such an expensive destination, I was wondering if anyone knows if you can order box lunches to take off the ship? If not, could I order sandwiches thru room service? I could pack zip-lock bags and a small collapsable cooler. Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2005, 10:01 AM
kcusick

Default Re: Does NCL provide "box lunches?"

We've been on this cruise before and are going again this Sunday. I've heard that they will, but we've never tried it. It doesn't hurt to ask. That said, if it's a no-can-do, my suggestion would be to pay a visit to the buffet before you go on shore. I remember that at the very least, they offered fresh fruit, which can easily by thrown in your bag and you don't need to worry about refrigeration. Muffins and breakfast rolls/pastries would be good. They also have those little boxes of cereal that would keep. Collect some cookies from the luncheon buffet from the day before, and whatever else you think will work. The ship also offers vouchers you can buy (some will be in your cabin upon arrival) that are good for certain restaurants in Bermuda. However, after a rather unpleasant experience with these vouchers last cruise, we'd never go that route again. Our plan is to eat hardy before we leave the ship and come back hungry. Enjoy your cruise!
Old April 27th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Does NCL provide "box lunches?"

kcusick, I would love to know the details of your bad experience, as we are a party of 10, and it could be a HUGE hassel if we tried to use them with problems. As it is, we are starting out with conflicting info, as my TA inquired on two different occasions directly with NCL, and she was first told the vouchers were unlimited, and then secondly told that each passenger could only have one. Also, I guess they won't issue them to kids under 12, which doesn't make sense to me. The kids in question have paid the same rate - it's not like we got an age discount (ages 10 & 11), and they will be ordering full meals off the menu. It seems a bit unfair. Assuming we might only get one each, we were going to use them on Weds night somewhere in Hamilton. Thanks!
Old April 27th, 2005, 03:54 PM
kcusick

Default Re: Re: Re: Does NCL provide "box lunches?"

Okay. Here goes. We went to Hamilton and decided to go to lunch at one of the restaurants on the list. They handed us a menu with only one thing to choose from (very limited). We're vegetarians, and that one item was meat. So we went to another restaurant. Same story and only one choice on the menu. By now we're starved cause we're walking all over town in the heat. We tried another restaurant. We still only had one choice, but it was grilled tuna so we stayed. They tried to seat us at the worst table in the restaurant--next to the kitchen. We politely asked to get another table (plenty were available). Reluctantly, we were seated at the next table over (not much better). Service was painfully slow. The meal was fine. But our waiter never checked with us again once we were served and it seemed appropriate that when we were ready to leave, we'd see him again. But after waiting 20 minutes, we really want to leave, so I finally got up and went over and found him. I said, "okay, we're ready to go now. We're all set." He says, "well, so, you had a voucher didn't you. Just go!" Rude, rude, rude. We were so turned off by the whole experience, we'd never do it again. On the other hand, and to be fair, I've hear some folks say they had a possitive experience. But 3 restaurants and all the hastle we went through just wasn't worth it to us. And it really was the only negative on the entire cruise. So that's about it. Hope you enjoy your cruise!
Old April 28th, 2005, 12:42 AM
American Pride

Having worked that itenerary last year, my advice is to turn the vouchers back in unused at the reception desk for a credit on your account. Yes, most everything in Bermuda is a bit expensive, but come on! your on vacation! Live a little!!! Hamilton has some wonderful resturaunts and most of them are well worth the money. If you like Italian I highly recommend Portofinos in Hamilton. In St. Georges the Waterfront Cafe cant be beat for a meal or the night life. Also in Hamilton for lunch there is a little bistro right up the stairway across from where the ship docks. Great sandwiches, great atmosphere for around $10 per person.
Old April 28th, 2005, 11:50 AM
kcusick

I agree with American Pride--turn in the vouchers and just plan to pay a little more if you want to eat ashore. We did do just that after the voucher experience, and it's true there are many great restaurants in Bermuda. However, as a personal choice, we didn't find anything superior to what we could have had on the ship, included in the price of our fare, and would just as soon save on that expense. It just wasn't that important to us to eat ashore. Again, have a great vacation!
Old April 28th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Bruce Chafkin

Even if you do get box lunches, most countries have very strict regulations about what types of food can and cannot come off a ship. Then the US Public Health Regulations prohibit many types of food that can spoil in the heat and make you sick.
In the end there isn't much that the cruise line can give you that is legal.

But you would be absolutely amazed at how many minutes a human being can survive without eating - especially after the five meals (plus snacks) you just had in the previous 12 hours.