Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 29th, 2005, 11:40 PM
Beginner

Default Cheaper balcony rooms... should I beware?

I'm planning an Alaska trip on the NCL Star and am wanting a balcony room. On deck 8, the four forward-most balcony rooms, two on each side, are cheaper than the ones before on the same deck. Is there any reason why they are cheaper? Does the front of the ship impose some form of obstructed view? Am I being paranoid?

Balcony BE, rooms 8512, 8516, 8012, and 8016.
You can see them here:
http://travel.travelocity.com/ecruis...129&deckId=887

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2005, 07:02 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Cheaper balcony rooms... should I beware?

I've never had one of those rooms but I think I have read that the balconies at the very front like that can sometimes be very windy and not that pleasant to use if the weather is not perfect.
Hopefully you will hear from someone with personal experience to verify or refute that fact.
Also some claim being at the front of the ship makes for a bit rougher ride if you are worried about being sea sick.

Post Edited (04-30-05 07:09)
Old April 30th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

Probably, it's just that mid-ship is the smoothest ride and also most conveniently located position on any deck. If you don't get motion sickness and don't mind the extra hike if you want to go aft, then take advantage of the savings. As the other writer pointed out, anything forward will be into the headwind and less desirable in bad weather. Otherwise, go for it.
Old April 30th, 2005, 01:17 PM
First Mate

Have you tried pricing this through cruisecompete or cruises-n-more? Travelocity has never been the cheapest out of our 7 cruises, and I'm thinking you may even get a better category through one of the other websites. Also call cruises-n-more, as they sometimes offer cabin credit for group bookings that aren't advertised on the internet.

I just did a quick search of my Jun 1 departure on the Golden Princess, cruises-n-more is showing $1476 for a mini suite and travelocity is showing $1699.

Post Edited (04-30-05 13:27)
Old April 30th, 2005, 01:29 PM
gojo

Just went on the star in Feb. The Balconys are different in front of the ship, They seem to be smaller and more boxed in with siding around them. We were on Deck 9 toward the front...we had a balcony the ride was fine as far as roughness, but it was a little noiser with the water hitting towards the front of the ship, if you plan top have your door. open.
Old April 30th, 2005, 02:00 PM
newmexicoNita

the front will be a bit windier which isn't all that great for Alaska, but if the price is a big discount over the other balcony cabins go for it. The mid part of the ship is always more desirable and usually, therefore more expensive. NMnita
Old April 30th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Richard Nelson

We cruised on the Sun in a mini-suite, which is supposed to be a lot like the Star...our cabin was forward, but we suffered no ill effects there. Only noticed how forward we were when we leaned out ! Just sitting on the balcony or looking out the window we really didn't feel "lopsided"! Enjoy!
Old May 1st, 2005, 08:41 PM
shoreguy

Hey what this poster is asking about is not forward facing balconies but the the BE on the Star. They are port and starbord facing forward on the ship. They like the BDs on deck 8 have a solid balcony wall instead of glass that will block the view when sitting.

Other then that they are the same as any other balcony cabin on the ship.