Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 12th, 2005, 11:19 PM
Beginner

Default ID marriage certificate on DAWN question

Hello all,

I have a group sailing on 5/15 on the Dawn. My husband and I have run group cruises annually since 1991 - but this is the first time we have ever encountered this problem.

My question is this: Have any married women who have recently sailed on the Dawn - or any other NCL ships, been asked to show their marriage certificate and has anyone else had a problem with this type of thing?

We have been told that in addition to a birth certificate all women need their marriage license/certificates as prove of ID.

Here's the thing - in a few cases - where the women have been divorced and remarried they need TWO proofs of marriage. My Mom was married to my father 34 years ago in a small cermony in Maryland - we are a 2 hour drive away in PA. She has been re-married to my step-dad for 28 years now. She's got her birth certificate - and used that on cruises before, her divorce papers from my Dad (no maiden name on them though), and her marriage certificate to my step-dad.

We have been told she'll be ok with this after our TA's assistant talked to the cruise line - but she's worried about getting to the peer and having a problem to work through. We just found out about this all during the past two days - needless to say we are NOT happy with our TA right now. Had we known this in advance we would have taken care of it and the place she was married doesn't even have computers .... the records are still by rolodex (!) so a fax is out of the question.

Thanks for your input!
Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2005, 12:24 AM
American Pride

Default Re: ID marriage certificate on DAWN question

It's the new regs put out by the department of homeland security. However I have never heard of requiring marriage certificates for every marriage. We usually ask for a passport or 2 forms of government issued id with one of them having a picture on it. However, very soon the government will be requiring all US citizens to have a passport when re entering the country. My advice would be to solve all problems by getting your passport before the next trip.
Old May 14th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

American Pride is correct... Get a passport.. You are going to have to have a passport next year any way.. So, all cruise people should get one now before the rush and belive me there is going to be a rush as the deadline gets near.. Save yourself a lot of trobule and get a passport.. OM
Old May 15th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

This has always been required but rarely enforced. You should always have the paper trail of any name changes from your birth certificate to your current name. It is too bad that more Travel Agents don't inform people about this requirement. Then again, on the boards we tell people this and there are 10 replies afterward from people that they have 40 cruises and have never had to produce this documentation thus negating the right information. People like to believe the easy way out.

From now on it will be easy for you mother because she will have to take that paper trail and send it in and get a passport. All cruisers will need them after 12/31/05.

The passport will eliminate all future problems.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 17th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Kathey

I have the same problem...divorced 30 yrs ago, remarried 28 years ago to current husband. I was told by my TA about the new rule about marriage certs but he wasn't clear and neither was Norwegian, as to whether I would need my first marriage cert. Like your mom, my maiden name isn't on the divorce decree either. So, I called immigration, and they told me that I would need a copy of my original marriage certificate, so that my name changes could all be traced. It's a hassle, but luckly we have moved back to the same county where I was originally married to my first husband. In my county, they keep marriage certs from 1964, but you may have to call and order for earlier years.
Old May 18th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Formerfuzz

My wife & I had this come up several years ago, before 9/11 and were surprized by the request for a previous marraige license and divorce decree. We had been on a dozen cruises before and never been asked for it. They let us board, but it was a hazzle. We obtained our passports as soon as we got home. This was on Carnival. What a problem for those married multiple times!