Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 17th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Dan B

Default Norwegian Jewel

This may be a stupid, first-timers questions, but what are the risks of booking a new ship? My wife, three children and I like the Jewel's itinerary and are thinking about booking Feb 2006. Is there information available somwhere that would give us comfort that they will launch according to schedule? Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Haze

Default Re: Norwegian Jewel

We have just booked a cruise on the Jewel. It is the first time we have also been on a new ship.We are booked Sept 18 out of New York on Canada new England cruise.
The ship sails the first time in August so we feel the problems should be worked out of it by then if there are any problems.
We are looking forward to it.
Old May 18th, 2005, 10:38 AM
shoreguy

By Feb. the Jewel will be more like an old ship. NCL is moving some of it's best staff from existing ships to get things off to a solid start. Since the ship is a sister to the Dawn and Star most of the existing processes can be used.

I will be on the Jewel for the crossing in Sept.

They have started the hull art, they plan to float the ship out June 10th, and crew comes onboard starting June 17th. Here is a link to the webcam:

http://www.meyerwerft.com/main.asp?id=1221&lang=e
Old May 18th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Admiral

We'll be sailing on the Jewel (western) late in November '05, and again (eastern) in March '06. I figure that all the bugs should be out by then. We've never elected to cruise on a maiden voyage or thereabouts, because we know that there are bound to be a plethora of small problems to be ironed out on a new ship. We've sailed only once on a vessel in its first few months on the seas (Paradise), and everything was just fine.

The Jewel will launch and take sea trials in June/July, and will start sailing European itineraries in August. The first cruise out of Miami will be on November 6th, I believe.

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old June 3rd, 2005, 11:35 PM
JohnInSeattle

Default Re: Re: Norwegian Jewel

I will be on the 2nd sailing of the Jewel out of Dover this August. This wil be my 4th sailing on an inaugural or 2nd cruise of a brand new ship. Never had a problem at all - the crew seems excited about being on a new ship and seem very eager to please and mend any little problems that may arise. The hotel manager on the Jewel is a seasoned veteran and is one of the best!!!!
Old June 10th, 2005, 07:02 AM
Stephen B

You could have a look at the state of development, of the ship:

http://www.meyerwerft.de/main.asp?wh...id=1221&lang=e

You're not sailing until Feb of next year.

There will have been 20+ sailings before that!

I'm sailing on the Jewel on the 23rd of August 2005, and I'm not concerned at all about her being ready.
Old June 10th, 2005, 09:50 PM
newmexicoNita

though I would never encourage a client to book a new ship I have to admit we really wanted to sail the Jewel from England back in Sept. Cetainly by Feb any bugs will be gone and the ship should be in top form. We sailed the Sun when she was just about 6 months old: best of 16 cruises!!!! NMNita
Old June 16th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Paul Gladwell

She is afloat!!! There is a thread on the kroooz-cams forum with a few pictures just to prove it. Good job too - we are going on a taster cruise to Amsterdam from Dover on her in early August. About time we got some benefit from being British, sorry English and certainly not European!
Paul