Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 23rd, 2005, 01:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default NCL Dream

I read in another cruise chat room that the NCL Dream was in dry dock last month in Alabama getting work done with stablizer, new paint,carpets and bedspreads. Has anyone else heard this? I will be sailing on her in Nov. out of Houston. Would love to hear any comments about her, if you have sailed on her. Have been feeling a llttle nervous with all the negative post here and there.

Monarch of the Seas Jan. 2005 Baja Calif.
NCL Dream Nov. 2005 Western Caribbean
Monarch of the Seas Mar 2006 Baja Calif.
NCL Star Oct. 2006 Mexican Riviera
NCL Pearl Nov. 2007 Southern Caribbean
Mariner of the Seas May 2009 Pacific Coastal
Mariner of the Seas June 2009 Mexican Riviera
RCI Radiance of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Formerfuzz

Default Re: NCL Dream

Cruzfever,

We have sailed on the Dream before itr was stretched, to Bermuda. We enjoyed the ship and are also booked on the Nov 26th from Houston. Curious to see the differences. She is in Alaska now. We sailed from New York to Bermuda and had a great trip. encountered rough seas on the return and it was pretty rocky, but we managed okay.
Old May 26th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Papillon

Cruzfever,

I was on the Dream last OCT. out of NO. I was a great ship and NCL is the best as always. I was even upgraded to a mini suite for being a lattitudes member. The ship is a little difficult to find your way around since it was stretched but we really had no problem. The food is great and I think we were treated like royalty. (My middle class is showing) I have been on 8 cruises and count this as one of the best so far. Going on the Sun in OCT.

Lisa
Old May 27th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Admiral

We sailed on the Dream last year (Baltic), and we thought she was just fine. Although the ship was reportedly operating on less than full power, we experienced a smooth and otherwise enjoyable cruise. The food was good for the most part, and we loved the Freestyle dining concept. We took all of our breakfasts in the Sports Bar (buffet) and, despite some negatives we've read from some malcontents, we found it a great place to enjoy a liesurely breakfast.

We also enjoyed the entertainment offered, especially an American concert pianist named Michael Chio. He also played nightly in one of the lounges, and displayed the most talent that we've ever seen on our 15 previous cruises. It's too bad that his gigs are only performed on European cruises. Maybe NCL can persuade him to work the Caribbean runs.

Now that her crankshaft problem has been fixed and other upgrades have been made in drydock, I'm sure that the Dream will be an even finer ship. And you'll just have to get used to walking through the Stardust Lounge to get from one part of the ship to the other.<G> Enjoy!

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old May 30th, 2005, 11:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you all for replying. Seems like everyone really likes the freestyle dinning. That's one thing that I was a little concerned about. After cruising on Celebrity twice and RCI, dinner was always a highlight of our shipboard experience each night. We had such great waiters and looked forward to seeing them every night.
I'm starting to feel a little more relaxed about choosing NCL for this cruise and the price was unreal. Thanks again for replying, can't wait to cruise again!

Monarch of the Seas Jan. 2005 Baja Calif.
NCL Dream Nov. 2005 Western Caribbean
Monarch of the Seas Mar 2006 Baja Calif.
NCL Star Oct. 2006 Mexican Riviera
NCL Pearl Nov. 2007 Southern Caribbean
Mariner of the Seas May 2009 Pacific Coastal
Mariner of the Seas June 2009 Mexican Riviera
RCI Radiance of the Seas
Old May 31st, 2005, 08:51 AM
David Starkey

Don't expect the food on the Dream to be up to the same quality as Celebrity....because it just isn't.... Not that you couldn't have a good time, but keep your expectations modest when comparing the Dream to the Celebrity dining experience.
The ship also has a reputation for sewage/ plumbing problems(oder) that has not been resolved for several years. (fyi)
Sorry......the plumbing issue has kept me off the vessel the last few years.
Old July 4th, 2005, 11:27 PM
Micki

If you can change your plans, do so. Just returned from Alaska and will never take an NCL ship again.
If the ship was in drydock, they sure didn't fix one of the main problems with an engine. We were not able to make our stop in Sitka because of this. Had this been a very recent problem, I could have accepted it. My research so far takes me back to March, 2004 with this problem. For many onboard, having Sitka on the itinery was the reason we booked with them. The only rebate we received was a $50 credit.
The ships Captain and a few staff members were very nice, pleasant to converse or deal with, most were unhappy and rude. The food, don't worry, this isn't a line where you have to worry about gaining weight. The cabins with balconies were ok for the size of the ship and stateroom attendants very nice. Because of a stretch done to the mid section of the ship, there is not a smooth flow to the ship and you may find yourself using a lot of steps.
I wish I could give you more positive info but it would be difficult. I took NCL Sky 2 years ago and said I would never take NCL again but I let their itinery convince me otherwise. I will not make that mistake again.
Best of luck to you.
Old July 5th, 2005, 09:25 AM
MagnoliaBlossom

I've done the dream twice. Once from N.O. (W. Carib, 7 day) and once from Dover (Baltic, 12 day) and had a very pleasant time. Certainly the ship has some drawbacks but we found the staff to be equal to that of staffs on our 22 other cruises. This ship was not designed for freestyle so food service can be a bit rough during peak hours but the secret is to dine early.

We did not experience bad food, sewage odor, or rude staff but every cruise is different and staff composition changes on a regular basis. Or maybe my expectations aren't as high as some others.

I think if you are a flexible and reasonable person you'll enjoy the Dream.
Old July 5th, 2005, 10:24 AM
nmmita

I think the most important thing we can rememvber is: she is not a new ship and will not offer all the amenities that you would get on say, the Sun, the Dawn or the newer ships being introduced by other lines. You also have to remember you are not paying the same prices. As for the food, we did find Celebrity a little better and RCI not quite as good overall. Food is subjective and what one thinks is gourmet others will compare with Micky Ds. Food just isn't what it was 10 years ago when a huge ship held maybe 2000 people. As Magnolia said, you need to be flexible, not fret the little stuff and look at the overall picure, you are picking a ship that has a great itinerary, freestyle dining which is gaining in popularity and won't be fighting the crowds when you embark as they are the only ship that sails out of Houston. Micki had a bad experience and is going to take every opportunity to blast, also made the comment they only got $50 back for missing Sitka, she forgot to mention that was $50 per person and many lines do nothing for you if you miss a port.

NMNita
Old July 5th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Happy Camper

Does the Dream have a centrum since the stretch??? Thank you, Debbie
Old July 8th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Micki

Default Re: Re: NCL Dream

nmmita,
I think one point you are missing is that we didn't have a chance of seeing Sitka before the ship set sail. That is my agrument with NCL. When the ship has had a problem for over a year, NCL should not set a schedule it knows can't be done. NCL had plenty of time to notify people that booked last year that a change would have to be made. It would have given those of us that did want to visit Sitka a chance to make our own choice as to whether we wished to remain on that cruise or take another.
NCL made the choice because they looked at the bottom line............ money, their money. I looked at the bottom line too. For what it cost me, paying for 3 adults and 2 children, in 2 balcony staterooms on Deck 8, $200. was not a good return. FYI: $50. pp, 3 in a stateroom, $100. I don't deny any business the right to make a profit but I do expect to get what I pay for unless it is a recent problem. Something dating back a year is not recent.
I am not just routinely "blasting" them. NCL is responsible for how I feel. I am not new to cruising; I know things happen. I was on the Westerdam the day after the Tsunami. Most of the service workers were from Indonesia. There were many incidents of short tempers, sad faces, and inconsistant service. Not one person, that I know of, complained. Many of us wanted to tell our wait staff to sit down so we could take care of them. Several crew members and even some Officers that were not affected by the Tsunami stepped up to help where they could and not one person was rude, something that can't be said about the Dream. A majority of the passengers made a donation onboard the ship to the relief effort to show our appreciation for what they did under extreme circunstances.
I have never complained to corporate headquarters or gone onto a website to make others aware of any problems on any ship I have been on and not all of them were perfect, including missed ports. I feel the passengers booked to sail on this ship have the right to know their chances of stopping in Sitka are slim to none.
nmmita, you and I will never agree on how NCL handled this. I hope you enjoy many years of happy cruising with them.
Old July 9th, 2005, 02:19 AM
American Pride

Really funny to know there has been a problem so large that it would have to miss a port and the company would let it go on for so long. Even funnier when you think that the company wouldnt fix it while the ship was in drydock. Missing ports happens to every line all of the time. Not fixing problems such as maneuvering or thrust issues causes lost revenue and lost revenue causes bankrupcies and lost jobs. I don't buy this one. I believe you missed your port & I believe it ruined your life, but I dont believe NCL didnt fix their ship when they had the ship in for its bi-annual drydock. After all thats why they bring them in on a regular schedule for upkeep and repair.
Old July 9th, 2005, 03:26 AM
Micki

Default Re: Re: NCL Dream

American Pride,
According to the Captain, the parts were not available when the ship was in for repairs.
It did not ruin my life but it certainly ruined a big part of my vacation. Tell me, American Pride, if you paid for a new car, would you expect to receive a whole car or would you settle for one that had no transmission? I paid for a cruise that had Sitka listed and expected every effort would be made to go there. With the ship having engine problems for so long, NCL knew it was not going to make that stop. Just as you might expect to receive a letter that a transmission is not available, I expected NCL to notify passengers of its change.
Believe me or don't believe me, I don't care. NCL handled the problem wrong, in my opinion and as a proud American, I am intitled to that opinion just as you are to yours.
My concern was for people that may have had special plans in Sitka, such as I did, to know that they may not make that stop.
I did not care for your implication that I'm a liar, I have no reason to lie. NCL was not upfront with the passengers about the ships problem.
Old July 9th, 2005, 09:30 AM
nmmita

Micki, no we will not agree I am sure and never having sailed the Dream i am in no position to judge how good or bad she is, I do say that missing a port, no matter what one it is should not ruin a cruise nor should anyone take a cruise just to visit one port as things do happen. As I said it has happened to us more than once, we were never compensated in any way and we never expected to be. We realize Stuff happens. We know our upcoming cruise may have problems as it will be the first transatlantic cruise for the ship and an unusual route, but that is the main reason we have chosen her. that being said, if we miss a port or two we will make the best of it. I am sure I will enjoy many years of sailing on NCL as well as the other lines. We are doing Celebrity again in December.

I guess I do have trouble understanding some of the negatives as I try to roll with the punches. When I think about major issues like what happened in London, about the Aruba fiasco, when I see families loosing young children or I remember 9/11 I know a less than perfect vacation is just that; For many of us, if we get home, unpack, let everything settle down, those little things fad away or become a memory to laugh about years later. I broke my foot on a loose step 5 minutes after getting to St Maartin several years ago: it was the hotels fault, I wasn't very happy with them, they did absolutely nothing and guess what? Not only did I survive, I had a good week and have stories to tell about that vacation. Did I go back to the same hotel? Not on your life, but I did get over it and I actually never went out of my way to blast the hotel. We all look at things in a different light I guess. NMNita
Old July 9th, 2005, 09:52 AM
ute_fan

I've never been on the Dream, either, but according to posts on the cruise critic board, the Dream WAS able to stop at Sitka earlier in the season. It is unfortunate that the engine problems have forced them to change their itinerary. Claiming that "With the ship having engine problems for so long, NCL knew it was not going to make that stop" just isn't quite telling the whole story.
Old July 9th, 2005, 08:24 PM
American Pride

And it is impossible to believe that teh parts were unavailable. The Dream has the same make of engine that is in 80% of the cruise ships afloat today. The parts are readily available, plus....I have witnessed NCL extending a drydock by as much as 2 weeks to ensure that all repairs were made and inspected by all of the governing bodies. Which brings up another BIG point. The insurers and Bahamian Maritime Agency ( who governs ships carrying the Bahamian flag) would never allow a ship to sail out of a dry dock with ANY kind of mechanical problem. And since the Dream has been in drydock within the timeframe you claim it makes it much more difficult to believe.
I truly am sorry you believe your vacation was ruined. Try another company or another type of vacation. Remember what vacations are for....to relax...and forget the worries of the day. Even though I seriously doubt your story, I dont discount your feelings. Read my past posts on other threads and you'll find I try to be fair and defend my company when they are right, but I will also criticize them when they are wrong.
Lifes to short, relax and enjoy it. Remember that you're not the center of the universe, just a very small special part of it