Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 15th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Beginner

Default NCL Sun v Carn Victory

We are planning a January 7 cruise. Our choices for about $100 difference are between NCL Sun out of New Orleans doing a Western Caribbean cruise or Carnival Victory out of Miami doing the Eastern side. We are torn because we have done two Carnival cruises and would like to see what another line has to offer, and the Victory is a megaship - which we were kind of against. However, we have been to all of the destinations that the Sun is going to, and we haven't seen any of the places the Victory is going to.

Anyone have experience with both? We are getting a balcony cabin for 5 if that helps at all.

Thanks for all info.

Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2005, 11:58 AM
nmnita

Default Re: NCL Sun v Carn Victory

Patty, I have not cruised the Victory but have toured her and she is nice. The Sun is my favorite ship and yes, it is a good idea to try other lines. Freestyling is one of the many things that brings us back to NCL. If you are planning on shopping at every port the eastern Caribbean would be much better, if you like awesome beaches and great snorkeling the Western would be better. I think the service on NCL is 100% better than on Carnival but the Carnival cabins will be a little larger. I am not going to comment on food as it too subjective of a subject. Don't know if I have helped you but I have given you a few things to think about. NMNita
Old July 15th, 2005, 06:26 PM
First Mate

I've never cruised Carnival so I can't say a word about the comparison. However, we cruised the Sun last month (and the Sun's sister ship - the Sky - in 2000 before it was reflagged). We thoroughly enjoyed the Sun. Also, the Sun's itinerary out of NO looks great, especially with Belize and Honduras, which are two places we want to visit.

On the flip side, we love the eastern Caribbean - mainly St John (USVI). Beautiful beaches, including our wedding beach.

Sorry if I didn't help any!! Dangit - the Sun should just do a 9-day eastern Caribbean out of Houston so I can drive there and have an extra day at sea in both directions to account for the extra mileage.
Old July 15th, 2005, 07:13 PM
newmexicoNita

Mandy, they do a 9 dayer and I will cruise her once a year. Seriously, I do wish some of these ships going out of Galveston and NO would find a way of sailing over to the eastern side. I love the Sun, I do like Roatan and Cozumel, but we have done it so many times now we need a change. NMnita
Old July 16th, 2005, 07:44 PM
First Mate

Thanks, Nita!! I'll keep my eyes open for that.
Old July 17th, 2005, 03:43 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: NCL Sun v Carn Victory

I have only been on the Sun( and I liked her very much) BUT personally I would go for a change in itinerary ( I love doing ports that I have never seen before).
Old November 16th, 2005, 11:52 PM
Beginner

Default carnival victory

I sailed on the Victory a few years ago. I have to say it was a beautiful ship...a megaship yes. Tons to do and see. I never got tired of walking around. However, if freestyling is what you are about I would lean to the ncl sun. No, i have not sailed on the sun but sailing on ncl has showed me that the pressure part of getting ready to eat a a certain time EACH night was gone and i loved that option. on the victory we only ate or two nights in the main dining room.
enjoy
Old December 15th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Passenger

Our last cruise was on the Victory. We'd have chosen Carnival again for this year if they had a 10 day out of Miami. If for no other reason - the pumpkin soup!!
I'm sure it's too late now - so make sure you post which you chose and how you liked it. We'll be on NCL for the first time Jan 22. I'l write and compare when we get back
Anni
Old December 17th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Its a toss up but I prefer the traditional dining service so my vote is Carnival. Not that the food is better, just that I like the service in the traditional setting better.
I just honestly feel the service is better(the waiters learn your likes and dislikes).
As far as food taste or quality, NCL was more enjoyable thatn my last Carnival sailings.