CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Norwegian Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/)
-   -   ANY PERSONAL REVIEWS ON THE CROWN OR SPIRIT?? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/220219-any-personal-reviews-crown-spirit.html)

cinderelli July 15th, 2005 10:21 AM

ANY PERSONAL REVIEWS ON THE CROWN OR SPIRIT??

We are trying to plan for a cruise next July, and two itineraries out of NYC/NJ are on the Norwegian Crown and the Norwegian Spirit. I have read mixed reviews of both ships on travelocity, and I was wondering if anyone personally had been on either of those two ships.

We just cruised on the Carnival Triumph to Canada and had a wonderful time. This was a 101,000 ton ship and our cabins were about 185sq ft for inside, and 225 for outside. How do these other ships cabins compare? Any information appreciated!

Jodi Meyers July 16th, 2005 10:49 AM

Re: ANY PERSONAL REVIEWS ON THE CROWN OR SPIRIT??

We were on the Spirit a few months ago, we had a inside stateroom 100009. It was about 160 sq feet, it looked very small when we entered and we thought a mistake had been made because we had booked for a family of 4 (2 adults 2 teenagers) however the cabin did fit us all, amazing how the beds fold out... :)

There is alot of storage space and shelves etc. Bring some extra hangers, I had been warned and brought my own and was glad I did. It was cramped but we never were in the room long enough for it to be a problem, too much do on the ship.

The staff was wonderful and I would go on the Spirit again. Hope this helps Have fun on whatever ship you decide on :)

cinderelli July 16th, 2005 01:04 PM

Thanks for the info Jodi! There will only be two of us in a cabin, so hopefully it won't feel too cramped.

How was the rest of the ship? Were there alot of dining options; was it freestyle or set dinner times in an assigned dining room? Was the ship large enough to roam around? How big is the pool area and was it crowded? Thanks for any info!

SeaGhost July 18th, 2005 11:23 AM

My family just returned from the Crown and had a great time, loved the ship. They said the rooms were larger than on other ships they had been on and they liked the fact that the ship was smaller because there were no crowds and thought they received better service. They are going to post a review in the next few days....

Jodi Meyers July 20th, 2005 09:34 AM

There were quite a few dining options, first day at lunch we ate at the buffet Raffles. It was alright great for a great snack but there are much better restaurants on board.

Try the Blue Lagoon for a quick snack or a INCREDIBLE hamburger , open 24 hours a day good noodles and soups OMG GOOD.

Windows and Gardens are good also. We ate two night at La Bristo and Shogun, between 5-6 they had a two for one charge. For my husband and I we dined alone at La Bristo, it was the wonderful. The next night we ate at Shouguns with our teenagers, they loved it and had lot of sushi, the food at both restaurants was outstanding.

We made ressies at the Bristo and Shougun and just showed up at the others but never had a problem getting a table for four. In fact we never had to wait long to get a seat anywhere, however we usually ate around 6 and ate breakfast around 8ish . The food overall was not GREAT but for all the mass feeding they are doing it was good. We certainly ate ALOT and drank a fair bit too ;)

We were on a cold LA to Vancouver trip so the pool area was never crowded, however the hot tubs (4 I think) were FREEZING) the pool was much warmer small but warm. Try the current pool in the spa area (inside) so much fun!!!

The staff was very very nice and certainly went out of their way to make you feel pampered.

I would go again

cinderelli July 20th, 2005 06:17 PM

Jodi,
Thanks for the review of the Spirit! It seems like the Spirit has been making the Alaskan Cruise but for next summer is it scheduled to do the Bahamas. Hopefully the weather will be nice enough to use the pool.

We are new to cruising, only having done one cruise to Canada on the Carnival Triumph, which is not freestyle. We loved it! What would you say are the best times to eat if you don't want a long wait. It looks like it will be 4 of us for sure, but it could be 6 of us altogether. We had the late 8pm seating on our last cruise, and much to our surprize, liked eating that late. What type of cabin did you have? Was it big enough for your needs? Any suggestions appreciated!