Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 19th, 2005, 05:38 PM
DrVal

Default NCL DREAM was a NIGHTMARE!!!

So, we just got off the phone with Alice Cain-Moore, the Manager of NCL Customer Relations. This is the second time we have spoken with Ms. Cain-Moore.

Our first contact was with Colin Veitch, President and CEO of NCL, three hours after he received our letter. In his email to us, he called our experiences atypical and unacceptable and said he would forward the matter to Customer Relations. He relayed that he wanted to contact the ship so that they could identify and correct any deficiencies that led to our problemS.

We accepted this and gave them the time to investigate our claims. Again, we have some incidents on videotape and have photocopies of correspondence that we exchanged while on the ship. One document is a 4 page letter to the Captain, that the Captain requested on videotape, and then ignored. We were on deck with other cruisers, who videotaped the encounter and we later transferred the images.

Ms. Cain-Moore offered us a 50% credit toward a future NCL cruise to settle our claim. We did not ask for a credit and we did not accept it. We requested a partial refund of our cruise fare, plus Sitka port charges minus any taxes or fees actually paid on our behalf. In the alternative, we requested passage for 2 in 2006 to Alaska only if it came with assurances that we would not be subjected to the hardships we endured on the Dream.

We did not use the $100 cabin credit -- in fact -- we didn't make a single charge to our shipboard account. The Dream cruise was not a pleasant experience and we mitigated our damages by staying onboard.

We have just sent a follow-up email to Colin Veitch in the event that he was not aware of Ms. Cain-Moore's offer. As we stated earlier, we will accept nothing less than we originally requested. Our demands were extremely reasonable based on our experiences.

We will continue to keep you posted.

FYI: When we asked about adding Sitka back and reducing port times in wasted ports like Whittier or Prince Rupert, we were informed that it was a Corporate/Marketing decision not to stop at Sitka.

Unfortunatley, this hurts the 10 day cruisers more than the 11 day cruisers. The 11 day cruise stops at Seward, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan and PR -- really 4 ports in 11 days, while the 10 day cruisers are stuck with Whittier, Juneau, Ketchikan and PR -- really only 2 ports in 10 days.
Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2005, 11:01 AM
nmnita

Default Re: NCL DREAM was a NIGHTMARE!!!

Why do you say really only 2 ports? I would rather do PR or even Whittier than Seward? This is your opinion, but maybe not the opinion of all cruisers. BTW, I am really not sure anyone can give you any assurance you won't again have problems. Hope you get your free cruise and your port charges and government fees refunded, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

NMNita
Old July 21st, 2005, 04:45 PM
Happy Camper

No offense but I don't hope you get them. If everyone wanted a refund for everything on every problem then there would be no cruises or the prices would be sky high. I have heard too many people complain and complain. It sounds like they did try to help with their offer and they did not have to do that. In the brochure it says they do not have to make the ports - for any reason - it is their discretion. You went on board knowing this -and it includes mechanical difficulties. Debbie
Old July 21st, 2005, 05:43 PM
newmexicoNita

Debbie, I really made my comments, tongue in cheek as I don't think there is a snowballs chance in #### that she will get what she wants. I am not certain she will necessarily tells us what she really gets, but I pretty much doubt she actually will get a totally paid for cruise with an assurance nothing will go wrong. What after that, another one if things don't go her way? I am sure she will keep us posted as she has from board to board. NMNita
Old July 21st, 2005, 10:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

What exactly was your problem. We set sail on Aug. 11th for the 11 Alaskian Cruise.

How were the temps.? What kind of Jackets did you take.?
MB
Old July 22nd, 2005, 11:33 AM
Happy Camper

NMNita,

I sure would like these posts to disappear. I'd like to learn more about NCL that are not complaints. I haven't sailed on them in 6 years but now have their credit card and look forward to trying them again expecially the free style dining. Hopefully soon too. Debbie
Old July 22nd, 2005, 12:21 PM
newmexicoNita

Peresonally, I think they have improved since purchased by Star lines in the Orient. We have always had a good time on NCL but with the new ships and class of service, plus adding freestyle I can't understand the negatives. I just think some people expect perfection at all times. If I had to find a less than positive feature it would be the service isn't quite as good as in days past. Certainly acceptable, but just a 1/2 step down, that being said, I have found the same thing with all lines. Food and service isn't what it was 20 years ago.

NMnita
Old July 23rd, 2005, 11:28 AM
Delores

Sounds like mountains have been made of molehills. I think she needs to "get over it". No cruise is ever going to be perfect, because people aren't perfect!! Now, saying all that, I haven't sailed on NCL & don't intend to.
Old July 24th, 2005, 10:20 PM
mary1111

Where would I be able to find the email adresses for the customer relations people from NCL, I need to get in touch with them and cannot find any phone numbers or any email addresses. Thank you in advance for any help from anyone.
Mary
Old July 25th, 2005, 11:35 AM
First Mate

Dr Val.

Not to have ship-board charges must mean that you removed your Auto-tip. Did you stiff the entire crew, or tip certain individuals privately who served you well?

So much ado about salad dressing. Lettuce move on please.

Barb
Old July 26th, 2005, 11:47 AM
nmnita

Barbara, Pretty clever play on words: I look forward to our next message from the Dr? I am willing to bet she tipped no one, but we will never know for certain. NMNita
Old July 28th, 2005, 01:46 PM
First Mate

Why didn't DrVal post this thread on the Cruise-Gripe board?

She'd get some great answers there.

My-in-laws own a wonderful Italian restaurant in Worcester, Ma. The salad is yummy.

Gonna leave now.

Barb
Old July 28th, 2005, 01:51 PM
J Benton

Well, I see shes at it on this board also.......give us a break....quit beating a dead horse...
Old August 2nd, 2005, 06:22 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to geoff

DrVal -- get over it -- I know that the wrong salad dressing can be a shattering experience -- and I applaud you prescience in knowing to keep your video camera running so as to be able to document the various outrages to which you were subjected. I would ask one favor of you - please alert the rest of us of any future cruises you plan - on any line: I am certain that many of us would prefer to avoid sailing with you.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 07:15 PM
immargaret

Barb.......which restaurant in Worcester MA?
Old August 2nd, 2005, 10:23 PM
First Mate

Viva Bene, on Commercial St.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 10:50 PM
immargaret

I've driven by that location but haven't had a chance to try it yet. I'll have to try it in the near future just to see if I can get my salad dressing on the side.......
Old August 3rd, 2005, 07:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

Having read the full report, it does seem there was quite a bit more to the story than salad dressing.
Old August 3rd, 2005, 11:39 AM
newmexicoNita

Maybe, maybe not. I too have read the "rest of the story" it is interesting that now the salad dressing issue becomes a non issue!!!

NMNita
Old August 3rd, 2005, 01:02 PM
Micki

No, it wasn't just about "salad dressing" it was about the REPRIMAND! Where most people can see this clearly now, one person keeps missing that point.
I will state again........ RUDE is RUDE, no matter what kind of spin you wish to put on it.
Old August 3rd, 2005, 02:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

And it really seems at odds with NCL being perhaps the most enthusiastic line with the gay full-ship charters. Certainly one of the first.

As soon as DrVal said NCL wasn't blowing her off, I figured there had to be some merit. If it's something that the execuatives are taking seriously (and they should be), it's clearly not the salad dressing.
Old August 3rd, 2005, 08:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

As she posted on another message board, she wasn't upset about the salad dressing. There was a litany of things that upset her, including the attitude of the waiter with the salad dressing. It was never the salad dressing itself.

I understand people who like to defend their favorite line, but to me, the discussion has crossed the line from skeptical into mean.
Old August 3rd, 2005, 10:03 PM
newmexicoNita

I can 1/2 buy the rudeness issue, but to assume it was because of her lifestyle tells me she is unfcomfortable with it or overly senseitive. We still don't really knwo what was offered and my guess is she didn't get much. There is never an excuse for anyone to be rude, yet when I read her report on another board I have to think twice about what really happened. The capri issue alone makes me wonder. I have worn capris on 3 different lines and never been questioned. As for her lifetime decision, I have known others who are gay, working in the travel and hospitality business many of my friends are gay, including my very favorite and loyal clients. I do not judge anyone regardless of their color, religion, political views, sexual orientation or any other life choices. What I do wonder about is: what may she have done to create a situration? Did she flaunt her lifestyle, was she obnoxous or just a victom of a bunch of jerks? Most of us, if we think about it have been discriminated against: I have and I just laugh it off and consider the sourse. One time my husband could have sued a company for age discrimination: he probably should have as this was our livelyhood. Would I cause any kind of trouble because I was not treated with respect on a vacation? NOPE!! But that is me.
NMnta
Old August 4th, 2005, 04:39 AM
DrVal

Default NCL DREAM was a NIGHTMARE!!!

You, "Nita," should be ashamed of yourself. You have NO IDEA what you are talking about.

The end of the Story:

My partner and I received a letter from NCL dated July 27th. It included an apology and a limited “explanation.” It also included a credit that was not 50% off a future cruise.

We’ve decided not to post our letter to Colin Veitch in its entirety, but we will answer the questions posted by the membership. We are domestic partners. When we arrived in our room, we put the twin beds together and asked for a full size flat sheet. We disembarked without that sheet. NCL could not explain why we were mistreated. They called our experience “atypical.” From their response, it seems sometimes we were singled-out and sometimes we were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. To answer your questions…

1) there was a horrible smell in our stateroom when we boarded and we immediately called housekeeping and asked for an air-freshener/disinfectant.

2) the diaper was found on the top shelf of our nightstand near our paperback books. it is an open shelf. although it was soiled, it was not full.

3) the salads on our cruise came dressed, although the “salad incident” had nothing to do with the dressing and everything to do with the reprimand.

4) on the second day of the cruise, we wrote a complimentary letter to management. we hoped our initial problems were an aberration.

5) when we continued to have problems, we tried to limit our staff and crew interactions. we did not make any charges to our onboard account and after the third day, we declined turn-down service.

6) based on the information we received from this board, we packed casual khaki capri pants, dress capri pants, blue jeans and black jeans. one night, when the dress code was “resort casual, ” we were humiliated in front of a line of cruisers and denied admission to the restaurant by the hostess based on a violation of the dress code. we were wearing khaki capri pants and a collared shirt. we had actually returned to our room just prior to the incident, to change from a casual t-shirt into a collared shirt to conform to the dress code. there were many people in the restaurant in capri pants and blue jeans. we believe this happened because we asked for, and volunteered to wait for, a table for 2. we had had a problem earlier in the cruise with the same hostess. we went directly from the restaurant to reception and were informed by the crew member on duty that our attire did not violate the dress code. we knew this was true – we only packed capri pants and jeans. when the receptionist called the hostess, the hostess still refused to admit us. reception called the restaurant director. when the restaurant director arrived, rather than offering an apology, he insisted that our mid-calf capri pants were “shorts” and “shorts” were not permitted after 5pm.

7) we interacted with some horrible staff and crew members and some excellent staff and crew members. we mentioned both in our letter to colin.

8) after one uncomfortable encounter with a crew member, we spoke to his boss, who intimated that they knew of problems with this individual. the boss asked us to submit a written complaint for his file.

9) in addition to the above, we submitted comment cards about some, but not all, of the incidents.

10) since eating in the restaurants became increasingly uncomfortable, we ate most meals in the sports bar. the food in the sports bar was comparable to a high school cafeteria. we did not mention food quality in our letter to colin.

11) i am trained as an attorney, and although there were legal issues, i informed colin and NCL from the beginning that we had no intention of filing a lawsuit.

This should answer most of the questions. There were incidents specific to us that I did not mention. NCL apologized, but provided no explanations.

We chose this cruise because of Sitka and its “resort causal” atmosphere. Unfortunately, the thing that NCL supporters like enjoy the most about NCL is an issue that caused us grief. Might the situation have been different if my husband were standing beside me while I was wearing my capri pants? Maybe. I guess we’ll never know.

We were asked on numerous occasions by crew and other cruisers if we were sisters and we always answered honestly. As I’ve stated, we are educated, articulate and polite women. We are respectful and expect to be treated with respect and courtesy, especially when we are on vacation. The crew of the Dream did not reciprocate on our June 20th cruise.

In defense of NCL, within 1 month, they have responded via phone, email and US Mail. The NCL website now states: “Ladies Capri Pants, which are a length between the knee and ankles, are acceptable in all fine dining rooms as long as they are not blue jean capris.”

Our intention was to post a warning… BEWARE… with NCL, what you see, is not always what you’ll get. That was true for us. We read good and bad reviews about the Dream and NCL before we cruised. We had problems with basic and essential services. We attributed the crew’s insensitivity to poor corporate management. Now our story is out there. Will our experience help other cruisers in our situation? We hope so. And, we will continue to read the reviews of the cruisers after us.

More info. than any of you need: We waited in line at the Four Seasons Restaurant. We actually chose that restaurant because we knew from lunch in the Sports Bar that it was the only one serving lemon sherbert and we knew that if we went somewhere else, some overworked staffer would have to run to that restaurant to get it for us... so, when it was our turn in front, we said "hi, table for two, please" and the hostess (who had mistreated us earlier) says, "would you mind sharing" or "is a shared table ok" (something like that) and we say, very politely, "no, thank you... we'd actually prefer to wait for a table for two." At that point, said hostess responds by looking from us to her seating chart, back to us, back to her chart, back to us and decides at that moment that my capri pants are not proper attire. If that is not discrimination, then I'd be curious to read your definition of discrimination.

******The service staff on the Dream that deserve recognition for as close to 5 star service as was possible: 1) Irina - Hostess Trattoria 2) Elena - Waitress Phillipines 3) Neno - Asst. Maitre D and 4) Iuliana (sp?) - Asst. Maitre D. ****** If you have the pleasure of interacting with any of them, your experience will be enriched.

Again, 'Nita, I'm incredulous.
Old August 4th, 2005, 05:15 AM
Micki

Default Re: Re: NCL DREAM was a NIGHTMARE!!!

I see the capri issue is here now. Of course, someone has now realized that DrVal was not the only one told to change or she wouldn't be seated. (info gained on another site) Then goes on to wonder what she did, flaunt it, etc. Why is the truth so hard to accept. NCL did not give her half the cost of that trip just for the heck of it. They basically gave DrVal what she requested so their investigation must have found some truth in her report of what happened.

NMNita...You wish to paint a picture of all's perfect with NCL and the Dream. Any company, at any time can have management, employee, discrimination, and yes, even customer problems. In this case, I don't believe that the customer was the problem, JMO. Please, look at the whole picture. If one of your gay friends came back and told you any one of the things that happened to Dr had happened to them, be it at sea or on land, how would you feel? Would you pick apart every word they used? You relate everything to what you see or that something never happened to you. Sometimes the world is not a pretty place and sometimes bad things happen to good people. I am not trying to pick on you but I would like you to understand that just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it hasn't happened.
The good thing and in my opinion the most important, is that NCL looked into it, made changes where warranted, and hopefully will not have the things that happened occur again. NCL is to be commended for that. Can NCL assure anyone that this will not occur at some other time...... no, but hopefully they and their employees will be better able to deal with any issues that may come in the future.

Starri...... You are a man of few words. They are usually the right words.... JMO.

Punch_Drunk....... why bother, there are no words. Your statement is just plain mean!
Old August 4th, 2005, 10:15 AM
newmexicoNita

Micki, I don't think you are picking on me, but rather expressing your feelings and that is what these boards are about. Personal insults, which you have not made are one thing, difference in views are another. I have said, I do believe there was some rudeness. I do not think the Dream is necessarily a dream, but I guess I have lived long enough to 1-believe about 1/2 of what I read, believe 1/2 of what I see and am so sick of people claiming discrimination. As I said before there are 2 sides to every story and real discrimination that does affect livelihood, health, or those types of situations are one thing, being treated with less that respect is something totally different. Please don't think I have no feelings, as this is not the case: I do and I would never treat anyone rudely, knowingly, that is, but there are still parts of this picture that do not quite fit. Now, at least as far as I am concerned it's a done deal and probably time for us all to move on. DrVal seems happy with her settlement, we all know her story, NCL, I am sure has put this behind them, nothing more can be said to change anyone's mind, mine or anyone elses. We all have our opinions which is fine, but before it does get nasty I think we should find some other subjects to discuss.

NMNita
Old August 4th, 2005, 02:15 PM
First Mate

DrVal:
I have NO doubt you were rudely treated. My only issue is your attributing it to
"discrimination". I cringe whenever I see that word in connnection with a simple issue of rude service. As a person of a non-dominant ethinic minority, I have seen REAL discrimination and believe me rude service is just rude service. (Having the cr* kicked out of you because you are the "wrong" colour or are a homosexual or being denied a job because you are the "wrong" sex - that is discrimination. It angers me to see it trivialized to the point were a snippy hostess with a thing against capris is the equivalent of the SOBs who beat up the boyfriend (gay) of a good friend of mine). As was pointed out on another board, others have been turned away from the dining room for wearing capris (I doubt they were all gay). I am glad to hear that NCL has clarified this on their website - since it has obviously been creating problems for some people. It also sounds like the dining room hostess was not applying this ban on capri wearers to everyone - obviously it is not fair that one pair of capris are Ok and another are not - so you were right to complain. Most people have experienced at one time or another rude and unfair treatment from service people. Most of us chalk it down to rudeness and report the incident to the person's superior. It sounds to me like NCL Head Office DID make an effort to make up the rude treatment. Judging from the incidents you chose to report their response seems adequate. However if you do not feel this way, then the solution is simple - as with any other dissatisfied consumer you should take your business elsewhere.

Post Edited (08-04-05 15:55)
Old August 7th, 2005, 12:09 AM
JL

good for you for posting.....I wish I saw this before my entire family went on this ship this week....the ship is basically a mess....they are trying to cover up the illness factor but many guest are coming down with virus.....US Government should get involved...yes everything you mention about staff rudeness etc...is true!!!! my family there are 10 on this ship are cruise people...we have anywhere from 4 to 20 on about 6 ships a year....this one is the worst in years.....dont let people nit pick you for telling the truth about bad experiences!!!!
Old August 7th, 2005, 01:48 PM
newmexicoNita

Cheapflossy, I agree with what you say about choosing Radisson if you want the best there is, or other top lines, I also agree most of the time you get what you pay for, but I do not totally agree with the remarks about NCL being at the low end of the mainstream lines, nor about the prices. This holds true with their older ships and yes you will get Holiday Inn experience as well. As long as passengers know this there shouldn't be so much griping. We stay at Hiltons most of the time and expect good service and nice facilities. When traveling across the country we often stop at Holiday Inns and Best Westerns. We do not pay mid or top prices and as, you said don't expect top service. My point is: the newer NCL ships are every bit as upscale as any mass marketed product and the price often reflects this. Example we will be on the Jewel out of Dover in Sept and are paying quite a bit more for a 10 day cruise, lowest outside cabin cat then we would have paid had we chosen a 14 day transatlantic cruise on Celebrity for a top outside cabin. I really put Carnival, NCL and RCI in the same cat now days, with Celebrity and Princess up a bit. Again, I do agee in theory with what you are saying. NMNIta
Old August 7th, 2005, 01:55 PM
newmexicoNita

JL, I can guarantee you if there is an honest breakout of the Norwalk or a similar virus NCL will not hide it, they will want it reported to the Government. As for your family being cruise people, are you saying they all take 6 cruises a year, or some of the group cruise, some of the time. That is a heck of a lot of cruising. I can't speak for the rudeness issue, but on another board you mentioned the missed port, it amazes me that for a family that cruises so much they were not aware of this prior to sailing. If they were and still choose to cruise, I don't understand how this could be an issue. The cancellation of Sitka has been all over the boards, travel agents notified their clients, NCL notified those who booked through them, thus the family should have, somehow been made aware of the engine problem. I do hope the virus situation isn't epedemic as this could be the start of the same on other ships. I was thinking, just a few days ago about how little we have heard of the virus so far this season, now this comes up. If it is true you can be certain other ships will soon be affected.

NMnita