Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 21st, 2005, 01:13 PM
Passenger

Default Beware - Luggage Fiasco

For all future NCL passengers,

Completed my cruise, handed luggage to NCL contracted bus driver, arrived LAX, no bag, driver told me to wait - he would come back when last rider for LAX offloaded, waited 2 hours, called for 3 hours locating mgr from Shore to Sea, found driver took my bag and someone else's bag back to Pier (20 miles away) drove away. After much haggling, Sea to Shore Mgr agreed to Fedex my bag to me. Fedex delivered bag but with outside damage to all zippers, got letter authorizing me to file claim with Fedex, after more haggling got $79.99 of the original $119.99 cost from Fedex. I asked Sea to Shore to reimburse me the remaining $40 and just a few minutes ago I learned from Justin at Sea to Shore his boss said NO they are not going to pay me $40 to replace my luggage.
The reason Justin gave me was since Shore to Sea is a “company” the rules that Fedex says “if you do not package the luggage properly and ship it anyhow, Shore to Sea accepts responsibility” does not apply to them. Fedex says this applies to anybody. I have waited since July 7, 2005 for Justin to call me back as he promised, so called him back today (July 21, 05) to be told his “boss” said NO not their problem. “Sound familiar?” By the way my cruise ended about 2 months ago. I paid NCL to take care of transporting my luggage from LAX to the pier, then from the Pier to LAX in the amount of $40, so now I am out $80. If this happens to you and the driver refuses to empty all the baggage compartments until the last passenger is offloaded FOR ANY REASON, get back on the bus and MAKE him do it right. It is a shame that NCL, along with Shore to Sea, are willing to lose two regular cruise passengers over $40, but they have indeed lost two passengers who cruise at least two (2) times a year. Be aware and be careful of NCL and Shore to Sea at the Los Angeles, CA Pier...

The main reason I wanted the $40 is the luggage they tore up was it was NEW - first time used... At least NCL and Shore to Sea won't get another shot at me...

Again - beware...
Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2005, 01:42 PM
newmexicoNita

Default Re: Beware - Luggage Fiasco

It is hard to believe they would let a good passenger choose another line, as you say, over $40. I do imagine there is small print somewhere to cover for things like this. you really can't say you were out $80 though as part of what you paid was to get you and your luggage from point A to point B and back to point A safely. 3 or the 4 were accomplished. i don't blame you for being upset. We had a similar situation with an air line when we went to Spain several years ago. They damaged a suitcase (huge rip) and all they would do was attempt to stict it up. Thanks a bunch!!!! NMnita
Old July 21st, 2005, 06:50 PM
Pata

Thanks for the warning and taking the time to post your experiences. Hopefully, this will save someone else such a headache.

Pat
Old July 21st, 2005, 07:46 PM
Elwinnie

Thanks for the heads up about the "Shore to Sea" which I'm not sure what it is & since we are taking the Ncl Star to Mexico & flying into LAX I wanted to be eductated on everything. How do you suggest we get from LAX to the pier?
Thansk for your help, Ellen
Old July 22nd, 2005, 06:49 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Beware - Luggage Fiasco

I would suggest simply taking a taxi, at least you know where your bags are. In my case my bag was in one of the compartments, but not readily visible when we reached LAX and the driver "would not" unload two compartments to find where my luggage had fallen behind. Unfortunately Shore to Sea is the baggage handlers at the LAX pier, and they say they do not have to comply with the Fedex rules which state if they did not put my luggage in a box they accept responsibility. Justin at Shore to Sea said that rule does not apply to them because they are a company. Additionally, Justin refused to give me a number so I could speak with his boss. So, I am resigned to the fact that I received $79.99 reimbursement for a $119.99 piece of luggage.

Beware... take a cab... shuttle, or ??? Do not let the contracted busses that Shore to Sea (specifically Sunshine busses) touch you luggage...

bobst
Old July 22nd, 2005, 06:57 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Beware - Luggage Fiasco

The way I perceive it I am out $80, I paid $40 for the safe and secure transportation of me and my luggage to and from the Pier and LAX. True I was transported safely and securely, but was without my luggage for about 10 days and the luggage is rendered unuseable due to three of the four zippers no working - can not unzip them. PLUS, I was reimbursed $79.99 out of !119.99, so being the recipient of this fiasco I consider I am out $80.00. To be picky I guess I can take some % of the $40 transportation I paid 2 months ahead of my cruise and say I am out $50 or some such amount. And remember I received the $79.99 at least 2 months after Fedex delivered my torn up luggage. Justin at Shore to Sea told me yesterday that the Fedex rule about if you do not package something properly you the shipper accepts responsiblity, does not apply to Shore to Sea because they are a company. Futher, Justin refused to give me a number where I could reach the VP who decided they owe me nothing... Justin agrees with me that somebody does owe me the $40, but he said he is sorry his boss has made his decision -- so have I - no NCL or Shore to Sea in the future... By the way I "unclicked my proposed cruise with NCL in the fall... yep over $40...
Old July 22nd, 2005, 08:58 AM
newmexicoNita

bob, I didn't mean to downplay your experience, I was simply saying I don't totally agree with the total of your loss as you got to and from safely. I also don't know I would have gone so far as to cancel a cruise, but I certainly do understand your feelings. Several years ago we used NCL transfers from airport to ship. We had purchased cowboy hats for western night and our daughter accidentally left them on the bus. We realized it within 15 minutes, had NCL notify the driver who was on his way back to pick up more passengers. You guessed it: never did the hats show up. It wasn't the end of the world, they were very inexpensive but I sitll remember it and don't feel anyone really did much to help. Of course in this case it was our own fault. On the same cruise, returning from the ship we hired a taxi. We got to the airport, within about 2 minutes our daughter noticed she was missing a suitcase, (by the way, she was a grown daughter, not a kid) tried to get the attention of the cab driver; he was gone, so was the suitcase. Whether it was left at the curb outside of the San Juan pier or in the cab we will never know. Stuff happens. BTW, that cruise was one of our very favorites even with the absent minded 40 year old with us.

Nita
Old July 22nd, 2005, 03:44 PM
Pata

Once again sorry about your experiences, but in all fairness I have to agree with Nita that I would not let that sour me on NCL completely and cancel a cruise. IMO I think this type of thing could happen with any cruiseline. These types of things probably happen more than we realize and no one takes the time to post about it. Thanks again for sharing . I would probably write a short note to NCL customer service describing what happened . They will probably give you an onboard credit or such to compensate your loss. Of course, you would have to take that cruise to get it!
Old August 2nd, 2005, 09:14 AM
Passenger

For anyone who has read my original posting, I will add this comment and it is based on contact I had with Justin at Shore to Sea, the contractor who handles the luggage for NCL. After failing to call me back for over two week as he promised, I finally called Justin back at Shore to Sea. He first stated that he had talked to his boss who is in Vancouver and his boss had said they probably would not pay me the $40 I am still short. After quizzing Justin about why he just left me hanging he said he did not call me back because he was waiting on a final decision from his boss in Vancouver. After more prodding, Justin said his boss said they definitely were not going to pay me anything. I asked Justin for his bosses name and phone number so I might call and plead my case, and Justin said "I can not give you that information". I said then,"so you are covering up for him and shielding him from me contacting him, is that correct", to which Justin answered "Yes it is, that is the way it is". So I no longer assume I know for sure Shore to Sea does not care... Final note: Justin said I should contact NCL's Lost Baggage department even though my bag is not lost and even though Shore to Sea is responsible for my bag in relation to the Fedex rule that they did not package the luggage correctly and therefore accept responsiblity for any damages. Justin said that Fedex rule does not apply to Shore to Sea. I know they are on a pier close to the end of land as we know it, but I had no idea that Shore to Sea "WALKS ON WATER".
Old August 2nd, 2005, 09:16 AM
Passenger

For anyone who has read my original posting, I will add this comment and it is based on contact I had with Justin at Shore to Sea, the contractor who handles the luggage for NCL. After failing to call me back for over two week as he promised, I finally called Justin back at Shore to Sea. He first stated that he had talked to his boss who is in Vancouver and his boss had said they probably would not pay me the $40 I am still short. After quizzing Justin about why he just left me hanging he said he did not call me back because he was waiting on a final decision from his boss in Vancouver. After more prodding, Justin said his boss said they definitely were not going to pay me anything. I asked Justin for his bosses name and phone number so I might call and plead my case, and Justin said "I can not give you that information". I said then,"so you are covering up for him and shielding him from me contacting him, is that correct", to which Justin answered "Yes it is, that is the way it is". So I no longer assume I know for sure Shore to Sea does not care... Final note: Justin said I should contact NCL's Lost Baggage department even though my bag is not lost and even though Shore to Sea is responsible for my bag in relation to the Fedex rule that they did not package the luggage correctly and therefore accept responsiblity for any damages. Justin said that Fedex rule does not apply to Shore to Sea. I know they are on a pier close to the end of land as we know it, but I had no idea that Shore to Sea "WALKS ON WATER". They are the only entity in the free world who is excluded from Fedex shipping rules. Ask yourself how well this represents "Customer Relations"...

Again Beware Shore to Sea Baggage Handling -- Take a taxi...

bobst
Old August 2nd, 2005, 10:26 AM
newmexicoNita

You have warned us and though I still do not think NCL is to blame, I would take your advise and not use Ship to Shore. I guess you can't force this Justin character to give you the name of his boss, but something just doesn't sound right. Whether I completely understand where the $40 loss in coming from isn't the issue, the issue is good PR and I can't imagine why the company would not re-imburse you. I too am tired of "it isn't my fault" attitude and the least Justin could have done, if he didn't want to talk to is was send you a letter explaining the company did not feel they were responsible.

I still wouldn't hold this totally against NCL. Even if they do contract with this company I am not sure they are or should be held responsible.

NMNIta
Old August 2nd, 2005, 01:34 PM
American Pride

I tried to stay out of this one, but after reading this and talking to some friends who work on the Spirit and the Star I cant keep quiet. Shore to Sea is one of the largest providers of pier support services in the country. And they don't have much competition unfortunately. But regardless, Shore to Sea usually gives good service according to my friends. The real power behind Shore to Sea is a guy named Paul...sorry I dont' know his last name.... I can only tell you of my experiences in the 2 times I have docked in LA.No luggage was lost, no busses were late and no passengers were left behind. However good luck in dealing with this Paul guy as from what I saw from his dealings with the NCL staff and his own staff reminds me of Hitler. I saw him reduce one girl to tears as I was walking through the terminal.I'm sorry you had the loss and I think is reprehensible that Shore to Sea wont stand behind their service, but never cruising NCL again because if it is the same as me saying I will never visit Mexico again because I caught Montezumas revenge from a taco stand by the beach.
Old August 7th, 2005, 03:09 AM
Admiral

I notice that the complainant here doesn't mention a thing about the cruise itself! It's all about something that happened long after he had disembarked. While I can sympathize to a degree with the difficulties he had with his luggage, I find it hard to understand how a person would decide never again to travel on a cruise line for the reasons stated here. If I elected to avoid ever again sailing on every cruise line on which I had a minor problem, grievance, etc., then I probably would never cruise again. And to my way of thinking, this is certainly a "minor" problem. I don't think that the executives at NCL are going to lose any sleep over this gentleman's decision to forego ever sailing with them again. No offense intended, but that's just the way I see it.

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old August 8th, 2005, 06:43 PM
First Mate

This reminds me of a TV ad, which states, "The Answer is Always NO." BTW, wouldn't travel insurance reimburse for damaged luggage?
Old August 20th, 2005, 04:01 PM
ray b

I think I paid $15 from LAX to Carnival pier in Long Beach last May. Shared the Shuttle Express with 3 other people heading to the city or the pier.
Great service and cheaper than cruise line transfer.