Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 21st, 2005, 08:49 PM
newmexicoNita

Default Re: NCL Dream

Brian, first I lack integrity and now I am a bully. It seems pretty clear that we differ on many things. Maybe I am just a lttle easier to please as life has been good to me and I do not let many things bother me. I have cruised 18 times on all but one mass marketed line. In fact a few that are no longer in business: I have traveled to Europe, the Orient and throughout Mexico, central America and the Caribbean. Before I became an agent I was in management for a major hotel chain with an excellent reputation. Did we have complaints? of course we did. Have I been on cruises, taken trips or stayed in hotels that were not quite up to what I expected? Sure, but this doesn't mean I did not have a good time. When you say things like the ships were adiquate but nothing more, what did you expect? I know one ship was the Dream and what was the other? All lines have good and bad. It seems to me that you are expecting the Waldorf and are paying for the Holiday Inn. AS for emailing me directly that was a comment in regards to the name calling, not disagreeing. I have never backed down from criticism unless names were called, I also have never called another poster a name or tried to degrade anyone. We do not have to agree, but obviously you find attacking the person, not the subject as the way to handle things. There is no reason to continue this pissing match. I do hope you will find it in your mind or heart to think before you blast anything or anybody in the future. BTW, I can almost guarantee you what is said on these boards rarely influence anyone's decision on what line to cruise. NMNita
Old August 21st, 2005, 09:18 PM
Brandon_Marsh

OK so lets just end this rediculous post here and now. You just enjoy that 35.00 a day agent rate on the Jewel that has clouded your judgement. Its your generation of Travel Agents that have ruined this profession to the point that there is barely anything left for the younger generation interested in persuing it as a profession. You appeasing the cruise lines when they are clearly wrong is really doing nothing to help the situation. I hope you enjoyed eating all the fruit off that tree you have left bare for the future generation of travel agents. I suppose you can also somehow justify the airlines no longer paying commission.
Old August 21st, 2005, 09:42 PM
newmexicoNita

Brandon, we can end this but before we do, my $35 per day rate is $1299 per person for the lowest outside catagory. There will be no agent discounts on her for awhile as she has been sold out with the exception of inside cabins for the next few sailings. In fact we had originally planned on sailing the Galaxy Trans Atlantic in Oct for less than 900.00 per person, deluxe outside, 14 day because the Jewel was sold out. Suddenly someone told me the Jewel opened up. Because my husband wanted to do the Viking route so badly we changed our plans. You might find this hard to believe but I have never used a TA rate. If you had tried very often you would know the $35 rates are almost non existing now days and have to be booked not more than 30 days out as a rule. Because we are lucky enough to have 2 daughters working for airlines we use the interline rates if we can. Often we can't even do that. As for my generation, the only thing I can say about that is I am glad I will not be in the business 10 years from now. It isn't my fault or the agency's fault we are stuggling, it has to do with the little machine we are using right now. Techology is wonderful but has certainly changed the world. We are all out there struggling to keep clients and gain more. That I agree with you on, but not for the reasons you think. NMNita
Old August 21st, 2005, 09:49 PM
newmexicoNita

Brandon, one more thing about agents like us: we all went to travel school, we learned before we started selling, we know how to give customer service, we return phone calls and we are not only order takers like many of today's agents. I am not saying you fit into this catagory as I have seen some dedicated younger agents. We did not go into the business for money as we knew we wouldn't get rich, nor did we for the glamour of it all. Most of us care about our clients and that is why they come back over and over. I have one client who has cruised 3 times this year, has 2 more booked and called me about another one for January; BTW none are on NCL. He cruises Princess when he wants to do mass marketed, but normally does yatch types, Seaborn and river cruises in Europe. Then I have my newest client, They are a middle aged couple, never cruised, he doesn't swim so he's a little nervous, he likes to party and they do not have lots of money. They want to try a 4 day cruise: guess where I will put them? On Carnival, not my favorite line but just what is right for them. I do learn my clients needs and personalities before I suggest anything to them. NMNita
Old August 21st, 2005, 10:53 PM
Brandon_Marsh

OK well I apologize for insulting you. I just get so frustrated when I see people defend this cruise line. I have had nothing but trouble with themover the past few years. I work in an office with 22 other agents and "here we go with NCL again" seems to be a mantra. They seem to have way more issues than most of the other cruise lines but it really isnt about the fact that they have issues. Its really more about how they handle them. Its almost as they wait to see just how much they can get away with instead of doing the right thing right from the beginning. So they look bad, we look bad and the customer is disgusted with both of us. It is true that we have problems with other cruise lines from time to time, just seems like NCl keeps surfacing as the problem child that causes the most problems. Anyway, I do apologize for being so rude. Just seems like everytime I decide to give NCL another chance by suggesting a cruise on them i get burned, in this case it was the 2 people I put on the Dream. They were truly devestated by this major change to the itinerary and I had to take the blame because I am the one that suggested it to them in the first place.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 05:40 PM
newmexicoNita

Brandon, apology accepted. I do understand and yes, you are not the only one who has had troupble with a praticular line. As I said earlier there is a line I have trouble with. Not the worst line sailing, in fact a good line, I have just had many run ins with them. these things happen.

All is ok, now let's see what we can do to give good information to our clients and consentrate on constructive criticism.

Nita
Old August 25th, 2005, 01:27 PM
GreggH

Default Re: Re: Re: NCL Dream

Sadly, this message board had degenerated into a ***** session between two travel agents, rather than a discussion about NCL's lack of disclosure and customer service. Despite assurances from others posting to this board, the fact remains that DeeL and myself and several other passengers aboard the July 21 sailing of the Dream were neither informed of the problem nor offered any compensation. Letters to NCL have been ignored and calls have yielded no satisfaction. It will be interesting to hear reports from those who return from the current sailing. We and several friends have been frequent NCL cruisers and always satisfied with our experience. We even sailed the Dream in the Baltic a few years ago and had a great time. But NCL's callous approach to the current problem with the Dream has probably cost them any future business with us or many others.
Old August 27th, 2005, 11:41 AM
R&S

Well said Gregg and I totally agree. It was the Dream that has cost NCL any future business with us as well.

Old August 27th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Passenger

Can anyone tell me what time it starts getting dark in Alaska? We're going on the Dream Sept. 1.
Old August 27th, 2005, 08:45 PM
newmexicoNita

LM, you will see full daylight until at least 10pm. The good news, if you get tired, the curtains in the cabins are really fully darken ones. We would go to bed about 11pm and close the drapes. It seemed like midnight everywhere. Hope this helps a bit. NMNIta
Old August 28th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Linnea

I was on the Spirit in early August when I saw the Dream being towed into Ketikan. I thought it was strange that it was being towed in by a tugboat.
Old August 31st, 2005, 11:55 PM
Maria Woo

I will be sailing on the dream Sept 12th and was wondering if anyone knows the latest status on the Dream (American Pride) or anyone else.
Needless to say I'm very nervous!
Old September 1st, 2005, 10:42 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: NCL Dream

I read on another board that on the most recent cruise it seems to have managed to get to Ketchikan and to be back in Seattle on time. If so it sounds as if at least one of the two damaged engines has been repaired and things are getting better. Hopefully you'll get a report from someone actually on that cruise soon.
Old September 1st, 2005, 09:07 PM
Maria Woo

Thanks Gardencat
If anyone has sailed on any later sailings please let us know what to expect!
I have my T.A. trying to get us some compensation. I think the travel agents handling the passengers going on this ship should threaten to Boycott them and see if that helps their passengers get compensation!
Old September 1st, 2005, 09:26 PM
NeverUnderstand

You people act like these companies even care about your business! Get a clue! They could care less if you come back or not and the TA's aren't going to boycott the people that pay them commission. All big business is the same whether its WalMart or NCL. There are so many people out there looking for their product your little letter on these boards probably wont make them lose a minutes sleep. Come on people I know I'm cynical, but if you look at things like the CEO's of these companies do you see profits way up, activity way up. As long as there are jobs there will be vacations. As long as there are vacations there will be cruises and life goes on. I was in a taxi in NYC last week and we had a flat. I missed my flight to Minneapolis. Now if I would have told the driver I was going to sue him if he didn't make it up to me by giving me a free ride, do you think he would care? NO! Not only because its not his fault the tire blew, but most importantly I was only one of the hundreds of riders he will have this week! NUMBERS people! THEY DON'T CARE!!! If you dont like the rules dont play the game.
Old September 3rd, 2005, 08:45 PM
NJDream

Default NCL Dream - Credits - Hogwash

That NCL is giving credits to everyone is pure nonsense.

NCL knew the 8/1/2005 sailing of the Dream would not make all the ports, and never told anyone in advance and they did not offer anyone on-board credits.

NCL is a terrible company to do business with, unless you like standing in line.

The Dream should be renamed NIGHTMARE
Old September 3rd, 2005, 08:48 PM
George_East

Default NCL Dream is a Nightmare

I agree ... cancel as quickly as possible.

Even if you lose a few dollars, at least you dont waste your vacation time.

NCL does not care about customers' opinions!
Old September 3rd, 2005, 09:11 PM
NeverUnderstand

Well my friend my parents wer on the Dream and got 300 in credits and 10% off a future cruise. Also on this board there are severral who not only recieved credit but got noticies from both the travel agency and NCL telling of possible problems and giving them opportunity to cancel with out losing their money.