Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 19th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to MysteriousVxin
Default Mini Suite vs. Balcony

I am interested in 2 Cruises for my honeymoon - The Sun or The Star. There seems to be a 1200 difference in price between the mini suite and the balcony. I was wondering if it is worth it for the price difference. I have stayed in a Balcony room on the Dawn, so I don't really know how much more room I'm missing out on!! Any feed back would be much appreciated!

Thank You

Post Edited (08-19-05 13:33)

Past Cruises:
Sept. 5, 2004 - Norwegian Dawn
July 18, 2004 - Carnival Legend
Sept. 4, 2003 - RCCL - Serenade of the Sea
July 13, 2003 - RCCL - Nortic Empress
Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Dallas22

Default Re: Mini Suite vs. Balcony

MysteriousVxin ,

The mini suit is not worth the money in my opinion. You have two people and the balcony is more than enough. The only real differance is the extra footage.

Have a great trip.

Dallas22
Old August 19th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Passenger

Mini-suites have an actual tub -- not just a shower stall. They also have access to the concierge service for reserving restaurants, shore excursions and VIP tender tickets. I think you might also get the upgraded bath soaps and maybe bathrobes too.

Virtual Tours:
http://www.virtualtoursusa.com/NorwegianStar_vt.htm

http://www.virtualtoursusa.com/norwegiansun.htm

Post Edited (08-19-05 15:43)

Norwegian Dawn, 11-Day Western Caribbean
Old August 20th, 2005, 03:52 AM
First Mate

Our price difference from top category balcony to AE mini-suite on the Sun this summer was $65 each, so that was a no-brainer for us. However, $1200 would not have been an option for us financially.
If traveling with a group, and this being one of the few balcony cabins for a scenic cruise such as Alaska, then maybe worth considering. However, a honeymoon - spend the money on couples massages, excursions, etc. Just my opinion.
Old August 20th, 2005, 10:45 AM
shoreguy

I would not invest the 1200 to move from a balcony to the mini on the Star. If you are thinking about the Sun look into an AF Mini Aft facing, That is a great cabin and usually a good value. I think it was about 200pp more then the BA and the same price as a BA on the Star when I booked it.

I would consider the upgrade if it was closer to $200 pp.

I think the Minis are better on the Sun. Much fewer and you get some of the suite treatment you will not get on the Star. No VIP tickets on the Star or suite check in. There are just too many mini suites.

I moved from a H outside on the Dawn to an AE for $1000. The AEs are great cabins and I loved it but you could invest that money into some of the great excursions in Alaska that are not cheap. You can easily spend as much on those excursions as you paid for one of you to cruise,
Old August 20th, 2005, 01:58 PM
venice

IMHO you have two ways of looking at your situation..1) you are on your honeymoon, go for the mini suite..or 2) you are on your honeymoon, you'll be "busy" honeymooning, so it's not worth the $1200 price difference that you could use the extra cash for other things

either way good luck
Old August 20th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to MysteriousVxin

Thank you all ... you have been very helpful! I think we might book the balcony and use the extra money towards our excursions, drinking, and their "deluxe honeymoon package!" :0)

Has anyone been on either the Star or the Sun, or even both? If so, was it a nice experience, and would you suggest that for honeymooners?

We sailed the Dawn last Sept., right before we became engaged, and I have noticed that the Star seems the be the Dawn's sister ship; it is almost identical. So i was wondering also if you would suggest us sailing the Sun b/c the interior is different. (I'm so torn!)

Again all feedback is much appreciated!!

And thank you again for your responses! It has helped alot! :o)

Past Cruises:
Sept. 5, 2004 - Norwegian Dawn
July 18, 2004 - Carnival Legend
Sept. 4, 2003 - RCCL - Serenade of the Sea
July 13, 2003 - RCCL - Nortic Empress
Old August 30th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Dallas22

The Sun was a great ship and the balcony was nice. We paid an extra $250 for a last minute upgrade. The Sun was a good size and not crowed. I also found the mid ship balcony to be close to the sports bar (quick draft for the cabin) and buffet for my kids to get food fast. I also liked the mini fridge in the cabin.

If you workout like I do, the gym was top notch. The pool options were excellent and you have alot of options for dinner. They cook nice steaks/ribs of the back of the ship for a more relaxed time and always have music and activities at the pool. My recent trip on the Sea was a little lacking in the pool activities. My wife was more bugged by this than I was.

Have a great time!

Dallas22