Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 20th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Bruce MurrayOnHawaii.com

Default Pride Of America - Passenger Exit Interviews

Aloha, Just got back from Pier 10 where I interviewed passengers as they exited the Pride Of America this morning.

I'll post the details of the interviews on my websites early next week. As with the Pride Of Aloha I interviewed these groups separately so that they didn't overhear one another, I also tried to make a random selection of couples/families, young/old.

Almost everyone loved the concept of seeing the Hawaiian Island by cruise ship. The bulk of the passengers liked Maui then Kauai the most. Every family with kids raved about the children’s program, the kids loved it. They also stated that getting on and off the ship was very smooth.

The ship appears to be having engine problems, second time in a month. They arrived 2 hours late into one port, causing problems with excursions, and had to change the itinerary in order to get back to Honolulu Harbor on time this morning. A variety of issues came up that all seemed to be generator related, a power outage, no air-conditioning at times, hot water problems, and toilets sometimes wouldn't flush. I've got a call in to my NCL PR contact to see if I can get some details.

The situation on this ship is nowhere near as problematic as it was last year on the Pride Of Aloha. Only one group that I interviewed had an enjoyable cruise and didn't experience any problems. As for the rest, one passenger put it best, a senior executive in charge of operations with Macy's department stores stated "It's about service, they just don't get it".

Everyone loved the ship, It’s a beautiful new ship. And everyone loved the Hawaiian Islands and it's people. Problem appears to be a lack of staff and the consistency in staff and their training. Long waits for meals in the main dinning rooms. Most were seated quickly, but dinner could take 3 hours. Common complaint was how long it took to get a water/tea glass refilled. No complaints about dirty rooms, some room stewards were very attentive and hard working, others were not. (Note: about 30 temp workers boarded the ship this morning to help the crew clean/prepare cabins.)

It also appears that the many of the hardworking members of the crew are getting tired of the other non-productive crew members and voiced their dissatisfaction directly to passengers. I was surprised at the amount of "inside"/crew information some of the passengers were aware of. They spoke of vast numbers of crew members who had quit, romances and drama between crew members, and employee contract details.

Many who had cruised before had four common comments, the rooms were small, service was uneven, they felt overcharged for onboard services, and they wouldn't cruise with NCL again. First time cruisers seemed to enjoy the cruise more, but even most of them wouldn't recommend the Pride Of America to family or friends. FreeStyle cruising got a 50/50 response.

One woman as so disappointed that she called home to a friend and told them to cancel their cruise that was scheduled for later this year.

My conclusion is that if your looking for a convenient way to visit the Hawaiian Islands this is a great way to do it, by cruise ship. But don't expect much from the staff of the Pride Of America.

I'm headed out to board a helicopter to photograph the WORLDS LONGEST HULA DANCER LINE on Waikiki Beach this afternoon. They have tried this before, but this time it is an "officially" sanctioned record breaking attempt. Sunday Morning I'll be greeting the Pride Of Aloah and updating my articles about that ship.

Mahalo,
Bruce MurrayOnHawaii.com
Sponsored Links
Old August 21st, 2005, 05:07 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Pride Of America - Passenger Exit Interviews

Hey folks I am a travel agent who rarely recommends NCL, but dont pay any attention to this one. The ship is beautiful, the islands are beautiful. The sfatt needs improvement, but remember Americans haven't done this work for a long long time. There is no real talent pool to turn to. Given time this product will ba as good as any out there.Still its well worht the money if you take all things into consideration. Mr Murray is well known in the industry for his one sided bashing of companies that make him unhappy and none of us really pay him any attention.For the real scoop just read the posts good and bad and make your own decisions.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 01:52 AM
Bruce MurrayOnHawaii.com

Chopper shot from yesterday of Pride Of America in Honolulu Harbor. Bruce

Old August 22nd, 2005, 08:23 PM
Bigfoot88

Yes, I can understand what the travel agent that can't spell says. Mr. Murray's web site is a NCL bashing site. I have been on 4 NCL cruises with one ONE issue and that was fixed when I advised the managment.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 09:15 PM
First Mate

Oops!....When I read what I typed I went right out and bought a new keyboard...lol. Seriously spelling is not my best subject, but my keyboard was 4 years old and most of the letters had worn off.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 10:08 PM
Bigfoot88

Sorry, that was not right of me. NCL is OK. I am going on the Majesty on the 28th, this is the third time in four years. Yes, this is a older ship but, being from Boston, this is nice, no planes needed to get away on a cruise for seven days, and St George, Bermuda is nice
Old August 23rd, 2005, 02:17 PM
First Mate

Bermuda is my favorite place to go. I just love the waterfront cafe between where the Majesty and the Crown dock.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 04:22 PM
Bruce MurrayOnHawaii

Aloha,

My Pride Of America exit interview results are online at www.cruiselines.us

Mahalo,
Bruce
Old September 3rd, 2005, 09:07 PM
NJDream

Default Dear CruiseLover

In your post, you did not explain why your rarely recommend NCL!

NCL ships do seem to break down more than most. It seems like NCL is having engine troubles more and more to save on fuel as the keep the "docking" fees.
Old September 6th, 2005, 10:40 PM
mlr

we just returned from the POA - and concur - never again with NCL. Guess what? Engine problems, leaving 2 hours early and arriving late in port. From your review, nothing has changed. Excited crew, but inexperienced - poor service. Lack of non-smoking public areas, which was very bad for me due to allergies and asthma. The crew did not even start to know the smoking policy and despite the assurance of the assistant bar manager, who not only promised to inform his bartenders and staff but to get back to a group of us who demanded a meeting with him on the results, no one ever heard back from Dustin.

We were very concerned with the step back in time that the POA made, not only failing to provide smoke free facilities for guests, but the crew was also vocally complaining about their lack of smoke free living and entertainment facilities.

So, it's back to Royal Carribean for us, where we all, smokers and non-smokers alike, were treated Royally.

Smooth sailing - mahola.