Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 24th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Diane Koerner

Default Pride of America

My husband and I cruised on the Pride of America from August 6 2005 thru August 13, 2005. If we had to do it over again, we would have stayed on one island, either Maui or Kauai. The cruise was very lovely in sight, but that is where the wonderful experience ends. After previously sailing on Royal Carribean, we got a little spoiled as to what a quality cruise line was all about. It is the little touches that makes the cruise so special. It is the little touches and more that is missing from the Pride of America. Housekeeping was pathetic, even after we complained to the Head of Housekeeping for the entire ship, things got even worse. We had 3 people in our cabin but only received service for two.
Food is mediocre and the extra $15 per head to dine in the "speciality restaurants" didn't change the terrible service that was already rampant throughout the ship. Food portions were small. The best place to dine was in the Aloha Cafe, which is buffet style dining.
I spoke with several passengers that sailed with us and didn't find anyone that had anything positive to say about their experiences on the Pride of America. Only passengers that seem happy were first time cruisers.
If I had to do it over again, would not have wasted the time or money on the trip with Norweigian Cruise lines and would advise anyone elset considering booking a trip to the islands lwait until Royal Carribean comes to the islands.
Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2005, 06:26 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Pride of America

Well I was on the same cruise and didnt have the same experiences. Funny how people can experience the same things and view them differently. The POA certainly has a long way to go before they meet the same standards of the international flagged ships of the other lines, but if you look at the fact that there have been very few Americans with cruise ship experience then things start togain some perspective. Over all I would rate the cruise a b- but it is a great way to see the islands and I would do it all over again. And you will be waiting a long time before any other cruise line does what NCLA does. In order to do the same itenerary the other companies have to first have an American shipyard build a ship and then find and train an American crew. This is an American law that it has to be that way. So if you stop and think about it, the other lines would probably experience the exact same issues that NCL is right now.
And as for myself and my family, we have learned in the 24 years we have been together that a vacation doesnt have to be perfect to be great. As long as we are together and away from the stress of our hectic lives we are happy. So we are able to overlook havin to use the same towel twice or wait for 30 minutes before we can be seated for dinner or even stand in that awful line at embarkation....lol
Maybe more of us Americans ought to take the advice of the rest of the world and relax and enjoy the precious little time we get away.
Old September 8th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Novice

My husband and I returned on Sep. 3rd from the POA cruise. We thought the trip was great, with a few MINOR exceptions. Overall, the ship is new and clean, the balcony room more than adequate, our interactions with all staff were positive, the food acceptable (baked good could have been a little better, Jefferson Bistro and Little Italy very good). We loved seeing the different islands, unpacking once, and having more than enough things to do on the ship. Would recommend this cruise to anyone. Thanks to all for making it so enjoyable.
Old September 8th, 2005, 06:33 PM
First Mate

Just one question:
what do you mean:
"We had 3 people in our cabin but only received service for two."
Just trying to figure this out .
Thanks
Old September 13th, 2005, 11:26 PM
Beginner

We sailed Pride of America 08/27-09/03 and what a waste of money. VERY disappointing. THIS is the ABSOLUTE worst way to see the islands. awful. I thought this was to be a class ship and it sure wasnt. Save your money and do Hawaii on your own, like we usually do and will continue to do.
Old September 15th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by karma
We sailed Pride of America 08/27-09/03 and what a waste of money. VERY disappointing. THIS is the ABSOLUTE worst way to see the islands. awful. I thought this was to be a class ship and it sure wasnt. Save your money and do Hawaii on your own, like we usually do and will continue to do.
Comments like yours are of zero value when you aren't specific about what disappointed you.

Rich
Old September 15th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Beginner

WEll maybe what i didnt like was the activity director RICH

is that specific enough???????

[post edited for nasty word] - ed
Old September 20th, 2005, 08:31 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I believe CruiseMates' articles about these ships have been more than accurate. It isn't your normal cruise experience, but it is what it is and it is a great vacation.

Our articles say specifically, "if you are going just for the "cruise experience" of plenty of food & onboard activities like Bingo then go to the Caribbean" but as an active vacation with beautiful destinations, lots of days in port (every day actually), good food (our portions were enormous, btw), and yes, a few service problems (I can live with that, I don't let the little things spoil my day), then you can't beat these ships for a great vacation and a way to see Hawaii.

After one day in Maui, spending $15 for a mediocre burger & fires, I'd opt for a no-charge meal on POA anyday. And the surcharge restaurants were excellent in my opinion. You'd pay $100 for a meal like on the islands.