Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 31st, 2005, 09:27 AM
Passenger

Default New Orleans Departure in Oct?

Just wondering if I will be going on my cruise on Oct 23rd out of the Port of New Orleans.... As soon as the emergency agencies can get in and check things out, how soon will I know if the cruise has changed?

Ecstasy May 04
Diamond Princess Mar 05
NCL Sun Oct 05
Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2005, 10:05 AM
shoreguy

Default Re: New Orleans Departure in Oct?

Getting the port open for cruise ships is the least of the worries. They may not even have power in the city in October. Plan on cruising from some other port.

The navy is on it way to begin the process to clear the river and hopfully open it for ship traffic to bring in emergancy services and supplies.
Old August 31st, 2005, 09:27 PM
Jenne

Our TA said NCL will be using Galveston now for all ships that are supposed to leave out of New Orleans. I think that port won't be used again until they can rebuild the city, if they rebuild it. Sorry.
Old September 1st, 2005, 12:22 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: New Orleans Departure in Oct?

Didn't want to lesson the magnitude of this event by asking about changes to the port for our cruise. Feel deeply for those affected by this disaster. Thanks for the info. Just trying to get flight and hotel arrangements rearranged as soon as possible. Which port we depart from isn't important to me, just need the facts to make decisions. God bless all those affected by Katrina.

Ecstasy May 04
Diamond Princess Mar 05
NCL Sun Oct 05
Old September 2nd, 2005, 08:00 AM
newmexicoNita

According to my boss NCL will hope to make a final decision sometime today. As of last night they were undecided what to do about the Sun. Let's hope it's Galveston and let's hope NOLA returns to normal sooner than expected. We have been away since this happened thus getting our information via the BBC or second hand. We are still getting amazing coverage, but not as much as the rest of you. I can't even imagine what the people in NOLA are doing. Our daughter is in Orlando and almost freaked last year. this is 100 times worse. NMNIta
Old September 2nd, 2005, 07:33 PM
Admiral

Hi Nita,

Hope you are having a good time.

As of now (7:15 CDT) NCL has not changed their website except that the "specials" on the Sun are gone. If you do "search for a cruise" the NOLA cruises are still there.

I also hope they change to Galveston. If they do, they'll probably drop Key West, but that's okay with us. We just want to cruise!

You may not be getting as much coverage as we are, but that may be a blessing. I had to make myself turn off CNN, as I was getting terribly depressed. The devastation is just unbelievable.

IMO, they will have the port up and running ASAP for the freighters, but I'm sure the cruise ships are the least of their worries. There's no way to drive into New Orleans at this time. The last I heard they were going to have to inspect everything and probably have to dredge the channel to allow any ships of any kind in.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014