Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 31st, 2005, 10:29 PM
Mychka-tsunami

Default Port of New Orleans

With over 80% of New Orleans under water
without power
without food
without accomodation
probably with limited airport facilities
i wonder if NCL will dispatch a news bulletin soon in regards of the SUN departure/arrival from New Orleans in October
Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2005, 01:24 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Port of New Orleans

Our travel agent said she is supposed to get word from NCL on Friday.

Ecstasy May 04
Diamond Princess Mar 05
NCL Sun Oct 05
Old September 1st, 2005, 08:45 AM
Formerfuzz

Carnival has posted changes on their web site for their two ships.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 08:56 AM
newmexicoNita

My boss said they hoped to know by today as well. I have several clients booked in Nov out of NOLA.

NMNIta
Old September 2nd, 2005, 09:42 AM
Andy Boytim

I think its was apparent on Tuesday that the port of New Orleans as well as the city of New Orleans will not be ready for visitors much less cruise ships at least befire the New Year. I am booked on the Sun for Nov 13 and have had no luck with either NCL or my travel agent in clarification of this impossibility. Why are they dragging their feet? Could someone plaease give me an email address for NCL. I have other committments associated with this cruise and need info ASAP.
Thank you for any help
Old September 2nd, 2005, 11:02 AM
newmexicoNita

Andy, I am sure you are frustrated as everyone is right now, but it appears to me NCL has a bigger problem than other lines as they do not normally cruise out of Galveston. Carnival and RCI already have ships leaving from this port. All NCL has is the very small port in Houston which would not be easy for them to add another ship. Mobile can only handle so much as well. Like everyone else we are eager to learn what the future holds for the Sun, yet, I am sure there are more pressing issues right now. Let's hope by the end of today we will have some answers.

NMNIta
Old September 2nd, 2005, 05:05 PM
shoreguy

Andy

Go to your refridgerator. Pour a glass of ice water and chill. 10,000s can't. The Sun is not due in the area for 6 weeks. I sorry you have committments associated with this cruise but the world is not going to turn around you.

Not easy to change ports and plans for 2500 passengers a week for the rest of the winter season. I am sure they are in fact just dragging there feet to make your life difficult.

Carnival had to something now they have ships operating in area today.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 08:10 PM
mychka-tsunami

I do not know what the port of Houston looks like, but if it can handle a 700' ship from NCL, i am certain that it can handle THE SUN, all the infrastructure logistics and supply capabilities are already in place for one ship, i think it is the NCL DREAM that uses this port and it has a Saturday departure and return, while THE SUN is on Sunday's, one other point also good to mention there is more accomodation in Houston then Galveston, so i believe that at least until the beginning of 2006 Houston could be use, it is only 320 miles from New-Orleans so cruisers having air fare could easily reach that destination, Galveston is a longer drive from the IAH airport to the port. Just a thought
See you all cruisers on Oct 16th.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 08:16 PM
Andy Boytim

Default Re: Re: Port of New Orleans

I used the message board to attempt to get an answer to a question, not a wise crack answer from some bore. Please if you have nothing to offer, don't.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 10:44 PM
shoreguy

No wise crack - dead solid serious - give everyone a chance to focus on the big issues and then they will get to you - sometimes you have to wait in line.
Old September 3rd, 2005, 08:52 AM
newmexicoNita

Shoreguy is just trying to put things in perspective. Personally, I would guess they will re-locate to Houston, but Andy, do calm down and give it a few more days. Now with that said, I am off to the airport in Krakaw to London and on the bus to dover tomorrow.

NMNita
Old September 3rd, 2005, 09:42 AM
mychka-tsunami

For Andy...
It takes longer to turn a big ship around than a small one, things happen for a reason, i am sure everyone has other commitment relative to this cruise maybe not has life treatening like yours might be but still commitments. Your departure is in November, be assure that long before then, they will have given you all of the answers needed for your commitments, for now i deeply wish you a peaceful and relaxing day, GOD BLESS!!!
from an OCTOBER CRUISER!!!
Old September 3rd, 2005, 10:33 AM
Familiar Face

We are booked on the Sun for Oct. 16. I know that they will let us know from which port we will be sailing in plenty of time. It's been 5 days since the tragedy. They will need time to evaluate the options. We're talking about commitments for months. My friend is with the Port of New Orleans. I will pass along any info that I can find as soon as I can reach him.

Please pray for the victims of this terrible disaster. Many have lost everything!!

God bless.

Clay
Old September 3rd, 2005, 11:58 AM
shoreguy

Look at it this way you could have been booked on Carnival - They just leased 3 ships to FEMA - You get a refund and a $100 obc if you rebook on another carnical ship
Old September 3rd, 2005, 08:49 PM
Mary Harper

I have contacted NCL about this situation 2 times already, We are on that cruise also. All Iwas told that if there is a change we will be notified. I sure would like to know what's going on.I would like to change flights to where ever we are going to port. I know it's not their fault for the storm but I think they could be a little more considerate for their passengers. If you here anything please let me know and I will do the same.
Thanks Mary
Old September 3rd, 2005, 09:01 PM
NJDream

Default Port of New Orleans

NCL communucation something in advance .... do not hold your breath
Old September 3rd, 2005, 09:06 PM
NeverUnderstand

Isn't this typical. A natural disaster of biblical proportions occur and all you can do is whine. I tell you what why dont you unzip and poke your head out and donate the money you spent on your cruise to disaster relief. People like you are the reason the world is in the shape it is!
Old September 4th, 2005, 02:23 PM
cruiseallot

Spoke with NCL today and they said they will know for sure on Tuesday what is going to be going on with New Orleans
Old September 6th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Bandman

Posted on NCL Website today

September 6, 2005 - MIAMI, September 6, 2005 - Norwegian Cruise Line (“NCL”) announced today that Norwegian Sun will move to Houston beginning October 16 to operate its exotic Western Caribbean cruises through the January 8, 2006 cruise. The ship will then reposition to Miami to sail one four-day cruise to the Bahamas on January 17, 2006, and sail a series of alternating seven-day Eastern and Western Caribbean itineraries beginning January 21, 2006 through April 16, 2006
Old September 6th, 2005, 10:28 PM
bandman

For those guests booked on Norwegian Sun sailings beginning January 21, 2006, NCL
will offer a series of alternating Eastern and Western Caribbean itineraries out of Miami, the details of which will be announced shortly.

Guests booked on Norwegian Sun beginning in January can choose an itinerary out of
Also found on NCL News Today
Miami or transfer to Norwegian Dream out of Houston. Norwegian Dream’s itinerary out of
Houston features calls into Cozumel, Roatan, Belize City and Cancun.

Norwegian Sun guests booked as of September 1, 2005, who elect one the ship’s
revised sailings from Houston or Miami, will receive a $50 per person onboard credit ($100 max per cabin). Moreover, guests booked on Norwegian Sun’s January 15, 2006 sailing, which has been cancelled, can choose a Norwegian Dream sailing out of Houston or a Norwegian Sun sailing out of Houston or Miami and receive $50 per person onboard credit.

Guests booked with NCL’s Air/Sea program to or from New Orleans will be rebooked on
flights to or from Houston and Miami/Fort Lauderdale. Passengers who made independent arrangements to join their NCL cruise should contact the travel agent or airline who made the travel arrangements for the departing cruise for updated information on flight service and schedules.

Guests who elect not to sail and who advise us by September 30, 2005 can cancel
without assessments of cancellation fees
Old September 15th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Passenger

Well thanks bandman, what a humanitarian thing to do, alieve someones fears and post some really usefull information rather than sit in judgement of someone elses concerns.