Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 1st, 2005, 10:44 AM
emmjay

Default Dawn dress code enforced?

I'm planning an eastern caribbean cruise on the Dawn, new york departure in october. In the NCL booklet it states, "we do not allow jeans, teeshirts, shorts in any of the restaurants at dinner". Are they kidding - I thought this was freestyle? Do they actually enforce a "dresscode" and turn you away if you are wearing a teeshirt or jeans to any of the restaurants for dinner?
Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2005, 03:26 PM
Bill Gallagher

Default Re: Dawn dress code enforced?

You bet! This is certainly not a rigorous dress code. But it is not enforced at the buffet, so you can eat there if you like. And it is only for dinner.
Old September 1st, 2005, 04:12 PM
Bootscooter

The term 'freestyle' refers more to the lack of formal dining times and choice of restaurants than attire. Certainly people were turned away from the restaurants on NCL Spirit last year when wearing shorts, jeans and t-shirts. As previously stated, the buffet is fine for casual wear at dinner. Whatever you wear you will enjoy the food. Have a good cruise.
Old September 1st, 2005, 08:37 PM
NeverUnderstand

If you see what people wear out and around the ship on some of these cruises you would understand why they have a dress code. My family and I have been cruising for years and our experience shows that dress codes are a good thing. We were on the Pride of America a couple of weeks ago and after what we saw from some of the passengers the need to take the stars and stripes off the side of the ship and paint something like "RV... AMERICA'S WAY TO TRAVEL" Becuase it was just like an episode of the Beverly Hillbillies! ***remarks edited***
Old September 3rd, 2005, 08:10 PM
NJDream

Default dress code enforced?

My experience is the dress code is R A N D O M L Y enforced.

One day you can walk in black jeans, the next day you can't.
Old September 6th, 2005, 07:17 AM
emmjay

Has anyone had an;y experience with wearing jeans and a nice shirt? Nowadays, you can spend $200.00 on a pair of designer jeans, hardly the scruffy look. Living in manhattan, this is what the majority of people wear out anyway.
Old September 6th, 2005, 07:42 PM
mlr

We just returned from POAmerica - and the dress code applied to the dining rooms, but not the buffets - and yes, it was enforced.
Old September 7th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to geoff

Jeans are jeans - regardless of the price. I cannot believe that anyone able to spend $200 on a pair of jeans is incapable of affording a reasonable skirt or dressy slacks, and is also so uncouth as to be insensitive to the requests of their host. YES, PRINCESS, THE DRESS CODE APPLIES TO YOU TOO!
Old September 8th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

Like previous posts jeans are jeans. The crew does not know or care about how much money you spent on them. I'm from NYC and believe me there are so many different looks for a casual dinner other than jeans that would be appropriate for dinner on a cruiseship.
Old September 16th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Admiral

I didn't make an effort to check everyone who entered the dining room each night, but I did see only one person wearing jeans and that was the last night of the cruise. We just got off the Jewel Wednesday. Freestyle does not mean anything you want goes, and the price you pay for something has nothing to do with acceptability. If you want to wear jeans, fine. Eat in the buffet, the Blue Lagoon or one of the other places, but not the dining rooms or the speciality restaurants. NMNIta
Old September 19th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Beginner

Default dress

I traveled on the Crown. They are not kidding. Freestyle allows you to enter the buffet as long as your genitals are covered, but you won't be seated in the other dining rooms in jeans, bathing suits, sandals, shorts, etc. That doesn't mean you have to get all dressed up - chinos and a golf shirt will do.
Old September 20th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to nycruiser

I just returned from the Dawn a week ago and I did wear jeans some nights in the restaurants (Aqua, Impressions, Venetian, Salsa, Tratoria) and they allowed me in. I know that many people disagree with this and I understand but I have to say if you buy a nice pair of jeans which I have a few paired with a very nice collared shirt along with some nice shoes it really looks sharp. Of course that is my opinion. Other nights I did wear khakis (spell?).

I think if jeans are worn nicely they should be considered. I am from the NYC area and I have to agree with one poster that you will find people do dress in jeans at night in the city. In fact when I was in Rome earlier this year (it was my 1st time in Europe) an overwhelming majority wore jeans (designer, I can tell!) out to dinner in the evening but they of course wore them with nice shirts and shoes - not sneakers.
Old September 20th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Beginner

Default Dress Code

Our experience on 5 NCL cruises is the dress code is strictly enforced. We've witnessed a couple of situations, and the only exception was made for a 6 yr. old in dress shorts and golf shirt, and he was told to remain seated, with his shorts out of view of other guests in Le Bistro.
Old September 20th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Administrator
Admiral

This does not apply to the Dawn but on the Star on 9/4 to 9/11 Alaska cruise they did turn people away from the specialty restaurants who were in jeans and t-shirts. In Le Bistro they turned one couple away who were in fairly nice jeans and the man was in a fairly nice Polo shirt. We also stopped to change our reservation time in SoHo and I was in jeans and a polo shirt and the young lady politely reminded me that jeans were not allowed in the restaurant. I smiled and said " I clean up nicely."

I did see jeans allowed in the main dining room (Versailles) on the first night and the evening in Victoria. On the evening in Victoria there was almost no one in the Versailles at around 7:00 PM. The person in jeans was right before us at the entrance and was going to go to shore right after dinner.

Also there was one person at the table with us at lunch, in Versailles, who was asked by the Maitre 'D to remove his baseball cap. No one at the table had mentioned anything but he was still asked to remove it.

It's Freestyle but not completely free.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 20th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Admiral

The fact still remains, the dress code is just that! How difficult is it to bring a couple pair of docker type pants? We all know nice jeans look very neat, but they still are not the accepted code. Bring your jeans and your dockers. Wear the dockers to dinner, head back to the cabin and put on your jeans. We did see one person in nice jeans on the Jewel this past few weeks. It was the last night of the cruise which is a little different as many have pretty much done their packing by then. I think, as best said by a cruiser on our Jewel cruise: jeans can look great, but they can also look like HE**. Where do we draw the line between acceptable and non? NMNita
Old September 21st, 2005, 08:40 AM
Beginner

Come on, it wont kill you to wear a pair of slacks. It part of the experence of cruising to look out in the dining rooms and see people dressed to the nines. NCL doesn't force you to wear suits to dinner
Old September 21st, 2005, 09:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

It's Freestyle not SLOB
Nile Romance Nile River 5/90
QE2 Transatlantic 8/95
Norwegian Crown Western Caribbean 4/97
Celebrity Zenith Panama Canal 04/98
Carnival Jubilee Southern Caribbean 03/99
Renaissance R3 Tahiti 11/99
Dawn Princess back to back Southern Caribbean 04/00
Norwegian Majesty Bermuda 09/00
Norwegian Wind Western Caribbean 12/03
Norwegian Spirit Southern Caribbean 12/03/04
Celebrity Horizon Western Caribbean 03/25/05
Coral Princess SB Alaska 6/18/05

Old October 30th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to poetic license

Freestyle doesn't mean free-for-all. Freestyle refers to the TIME you dine.

Costa Atlantica 3/03
Celebrity Century 11/03
HAL Oosterdam 3/04
Celebrity Century 11/04
MSC Opera 2/05
Celebrity Constellation 11/05
Celebrity GALAXY 1/06
NCL Norwegian Dream 2/06
Celebrity CENTURY 4/06
Celebrity Summit 9/06