Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 13th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Beginner

Default Norwegian Dream's Engine Problem??

Does anyone know what the status of the Norwegian Dream's engine problems. We are booked on the 15 Oct 05 cruise out of Houston TX to the Gulf of Mexico and Western Casrib. I'm wondering if she'll make it to Houston from Alaska
Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2005, 05:44 PM
First Mate

Hi,

Yep...she's still limping along at less than full power capacity. NCL has to wake up and take a hint here: either you drydock the thing for the full cycle of a sailing , fix it properly and resume with RELIABLE itineraries.........OR : continue what they're doing now and it will simply addup to more and more and more peeved guests who have to put up with delays, skipped ports , the dissapointments, the insult of a puny ship board credit ''in lieu of '' for which many of them have to fight for, etc etc.....and what about the '' bean counters''??? Don't they get it by now ???
The mechanical malaises affecting this ship are costing them tons of $$$ already !!!

Penny-wise, pound foolish.

Cheers
CG

Nest up: CENTURY June'08....B2B Norwegian Fjords/Artic/NorthCape & Scandinavia/Russia

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G
Old September 13th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

I was wondering the same thing. I'm sailing on her in Nov.
I hope she is in good shape for your cruise.
Monarch of the Seas Jan. 2005 Baja Calif.
NCL Dream Nov. 2005 Western Caribbean
Monarch of the Seas Mar 2006 Baja Calif.
NCL Star Oct. 2006 Mexican Riviera
NCL Pearl Nov. 2007 Southern Caribbean
Mariner of the Seas May 2009 Pacific Coastal
Mariner of the Seas June 2009 Mexican Riviera
RCI Radiance of the Seas
Old September 13th, 2005, 10:56 PM
Beginner

I am so glad you asked, Jud, I was wondering the same thing. My family booked the same cruise you are on, even after I told them about what I had read on here about NCL and Norwegian Dream. I am still looking forward to it, this is my first time, but I am afraid it will turn out to be a nightmare!
Old September 14th, 2005, 12:44 AM
Familiar Face

Hi All!

Now don't quote me, but.....I called NCL and asked about the engine problems. I am sailing on the Dream in March 2006. I was told that one itinerary has been cancelled and the engines will be fixed. I didn't ask when...or where, but the agent added that when in the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico, the ports are not very far apart, so even at less engine power, there is little chance of changes in schedule.

We'll see!!!

Howard
Old September 26th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Beginner

We are also on the October 15th sail of the Dream. I have been advised that the Dream will be in the Houston Port on October 8th and will be dried docked for the week before the 15th. I have also been told that they are waiting on a part to come from Germany that has delayed the fixing of the engine. One of the sales reps for NCL said that the engine was being fix as we speak. I guess only time will tell.

The Randall Family
Old October 23rd, 2005, 07:11 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Norwegian Dream's Engine Problem??

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldsailorJud
Does anyone know what the status of the Norwegian Dream's engine problems. We are booked on the 15 Oct 05 cruise out of Houston TX to the Gulf of Mexico and Western Casrib. I'm wondering if she'll make it to Houston from Alaska
Old October 23rd, 2005, 07:14 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Norwegian Dream's Engine Problem??

Well most of you probally already know all the problems but yes they are still there and we were told that they will continue to take the ship out un fixed as long as the engine will last......So here is what I have been posting on all forums with my experience....

I would suggest a full refund or to be able to sail at a later date......

OK we just got back from the 10/15/05 dream cruise (nightmare) that was a 7 day 4 stop ports. Of course we only got to go to one scheduled stop of cozumel and they changed Belize to Progresso. This has been the worst trip of our entire life. PERIOD!!! The service was horrible the staff was the rudest I have ever seen. On one occasion me and my husband were walking down an aisle and three employees were walking side by side with bags of laundry and didnt bother to even move a little bit to let us walk by cause the bags to swipe my leg and I went flying forward right on my face and they laughed and kept walking. No sorry no let me help you up or anything. The food was so bad I lost 8 lbs by time I got home. The shows were horrible. The room service took over an hour to get your food and half of the time the staff had no idea what was being served and they were standing right by the buffett line. We spent 40.00 on a coke promotion that gave you free coke throughout the trip. Of course you were only allowed to order 1 coke at a time and some of the waitresses refused to give you the can in case you wanted to drink it in your room later. All the events were canceled so the only thing you were able to do was to lay out period!!! I also heard they doubled the price of the drinks. You paid $7.00 for drinks and they use to be $3.50 and here is the mose frustrating thing......We paid 155.00 each to swim with the dolphins and sea lions and snorkle but since the boat was late, they cut out the snorkling and the sea line show and said we were still responsible for paying it in full price reguardless off the excursion being cut by 1 1/2 hours. I could go on and on with other things that did happen. But overall I would have never gone out in a boat that had only half its engine in the middle of a hurricane. This cruise ship put all of lives at stake and refuse to compensate us for any of our losses in this whole nightmare. Please dont waste your money it is so not worth it.......

Brandie
brandie73@sbcglobal.net
email with any questions we are trying to help everyone out that was on this trip and trying to get some type of compensation!!!! I have a relative that is pretty high up in the political world and Im working on some big news stations to help and do a real good piece on the ship we took lots of video of the ship and the way the staff acting. Plus we got charged 20 a day even though we never had room service come to our rooms and they never once changed our sheets or pillow cases they had the same stains from day one!!!!!! Nice HUH
I promise I am not going to let this cruise line get away with this and believe me I keep my word......
Old October 28th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Beginner

I need to reply to the previous post. My family and I were on the same 10/15 cruise and had a great time! The only people who had a bad time were the ones we saw all week complaining and trying to get the petition signed. They needed to get a life and enjoy the cruise, then deal with the problems after they returned home. The food was very good and the service was excellent in all areas. Entertainment was very good, especially the comedian and guest singer. Missing ports was disappointing, but in real life you make the best of it. Yes the Dream has engine problems but it has been reported for months online. It is not running at half-speed. We cruised at 13 - 15 knots with the published top speed only 18 knots. Anyone who complains about any alleged bad service probably is only looking $$. Some events on deck were cancelled, but only due to windy/rain conditions. To even suggest that when only 1 of 4 engines is out of service is putting passengers at risk is very irresponsible! The engines are there to generate electric power which in-turn power the 2 props. Too bad some people cannot enjoy the vacation and have to be miserable all the time!
Old October 28th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Admiral

I thought this was a dead subject but I will put my 2 cents worth in at this time. I totally understand the disappointment that some felt after cruising the Dream last week. I also want to ask Brandi a couple of questions: 1-when were the drinks $3.50 on NCL or any other ship? 20 years ago? Yes, they have gone from $3.95 to about $5.00 for a basic cocktail. This has been an increase this past year. Celebrity has the same prices. We have sailed NCL twice in less than a year, the prices certainly are not $7 per drink unless you are order primium brands or fru fru drinks. Wine has gone from under $5 per glass to about $5.50 and up depending on the brand: like other ships. You ordered soda cards and were only allowed one drink at a time: did you stop to think about what would/could happen if you were allowed 2 or 3 at once? Why would anyone choose to have more than 1 at a time unless you were sharing with someone else?

Where did you get the idea the ship was running on 1/2 power? it only has 1 engine affected. No you were not put in harms way, no matter what you think. Had you been able to go to all the ports scheduled you would have been in danger.

As for a full refund: the brochures are very clear and this goes for all lines: they guarantee you a place to sleep for x number of days, agree to get you to and from a location and serve you 3 meals a day. That is all. If you choose not to cruise NCL again, is your decision and if the food and service was as bad as you say, no one would blame you. Do you deserve any refund?: NOPE. I am surprised you didn't like the entertainment or the food or the service, but sometimes people are not satisfied and they have a right to express your opinion.

I just have one more question? Did you not know about the engine problem prior to sailing? It seems odd you would never have read any of these websites before you sailed and yet suddenly you find them so you can let everyone know how bad your cruise was.

There is no excuse for bad service, rude crew or some of the other problems you encountered. What did you mean by the staff didn't know what was being served and they were standing right by the buffet line? I don't mean to pick your review apart but there are so many holes in it. I have to wonder how many times you have cruised on boats that most experienced cruisers refer to as ships.

NMNita
Old November 1st, 2005, 11:30 AM
Beginner

Amen to that......not one positive thing to say...hmmmm
Old November 12th, 2005, 01:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

Well, it looks like it still hasn't been fixed. On the NCL website under NEWS
dated Nov. 10, 2005 they are still having an "engine issue" and will not be going to Roatan, replacing it with Progreso. Bummer, I was so looking forward to the "canopy tour" or well, maybe another time, another cruise line. I'm just so excited my cruise is just two weeks away.
RCI Radiance of the Seas
Old November 14th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Beginner

The most recent Nov 10 post states that there is engine problems and Roatan cannot be reached.
NCL has not posted that the engine is fixed.
Roatan is back on the itinerary for 11/19 and future. this was just changed. Is she now able to reach this port?
Old November 24th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

Rumor has it on the "other cruise forum" that the engine is now fixed. Sailing on the Dream this Sat. Will let you all know if this is true when I get back.
RCI Radiance of the Seas
Old November 24th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Admiral

cruzfever is reading the same thread I am; yes, it does appear to be fixed. NMnita :o
Old November 25th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
cruzfever is reading the same thread I am; yes, it does appear to be fixed. NMnita :o
Then, why were there views of open ocean such as I saw all day Sun and Mon and again Thur and today, Fri? These views suggested "at sea" days for the first 2 and last 2 days of the Dream's Nov 19 cruise.

I thought if the engine had been fixed, then there would have been at least 3 stops on the Nov 19 cruise, namely Belize, Roatan, and Cozumel (Cancun still not open) and fewer days at sea (3 instead of 4). Then again, I could be wrong...
Old November 26th, 2005, 01:54 AM
First Mate

Hi,

My toughts precisely !!!!!

Cheers
CG

Nest up: CENTURY June'08....B2B Norwegian Fjords/Artic/NorthCape & Scandinavia/Russia

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G
Old November 27th, 2005, 12:35 AM
Passenger

According to a pax on the 11/19-11/26 sailing, the engine has been fixed (the Capt. sent a letter out stating so) and they went to Cozumel, Roatan, and Belize!
Old November 27th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Beginner

extra day at sea because they dont go to cancun. If you look at the weekly ports of call the ship is always in port when it says and at sea when it says. I have been watching it non stop to see and it was nice to see it stop in cozumel
Old November 27th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Admiral

Yes they went to all three ports, the engine is fixed and Cancun is not. NMNita
Old November 29th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Beginner

We just returned from a marvelous cruise on the Dream (11/19 - 11/26). All engines are fixed and sea-tested. We went to Cozumel, Roatan, and Belize. You probaly saw "sea" some days because Cozumel and Belize have no piers. The ship must anchor and use the tendering service.

Cancun is not ready for ships, and it will be a while.

This ship and staff is awesome.

It is sad, sad, sad, that NCL sold many itineraries with the undisputable knowledge that they could not be completed due to engine problems. We were extremely lucky that the engine was fixed prior to our cruise, or we would have also been one of the ripped-off passengers. Now they are doing the exact same thing with another broken vessel. And they give the booked passengers no opportunity to change vessels or sailing dates, even though they could do so.

It seems that the whole cruise industry is lacking integrity when you still see many posted itineraries that include Cancun, as they have stated that it will be quite a while before ships can stop there.

It's not an issue of whether the cruise ship itself will be enjoyable regardless of ports called upon. We know that it will. A lerge portion of any cruiser's decision-making is ports of call. And one poster said it best when he said that he spends much time researching the activities, sights, and cultural marvels at each port so that he can make the best decisions regarding excursions, only to end up spending the entire day at sea or to have little or no time to research anything when the cruise line has not been up front and you get a whole new itinerary once on board. Also, no one wants to make a decision and plop down thousands of dollars only to find out that there was no way that what they were sold could ever have been completed, the seller knew it, and protected himself with legal crap instead of making it right...
Old November 29th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Passenger

Dumb guy -

Do you know which ship the "other broken vessel" is?

We're sailing for the first time on the NCL Wind Dec. 28 - It's not only our first cruise but also our honeymoon. Just curious.
Old November 29th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Admiral

It's the Star, as far as I know the Wind is just fine at this time. it is interesting, the Wind is the sister ship to the Dream. NMnita
Old November 29th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Admiral

It's the Star, as far as I know the Wind is just fine at this time. it is interesting, the Wind is the sister ship to the Dream. NMn ps happy honeymoon
Old November 29th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

I can't believe that they still have that problem! We were on the Dream in March and they told us that excuse then.

We have friends who are on a cruise on the Dream this week. Maybe that is why they paid only $199 each for the cruise.

-Jim
Old November 29th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Passenger

Thanks, NMnita
Old November 29th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Admiral

Jim, I am surprised to hear you say March? The first most of us heard about any serious problem was late June in Alaska. Regardless, the engine has been fixed. The delay seemed to revolve around the length of time it took to order and get the part. NMnita 8)