Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 15th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Passenger

Default Why are NCL cruises generally less expensive?

While researching a cruise for February 2006 I have consistently found NCL to have less expensive cruises than Carnival and Royal Caribb. 2 in particular are the "Texarribean" cruise, and the Mexican Riviera cruise. Does anyone know why this is? Any info would be helpful to decide. We went on a 5 day CCL Imagination cruise last winter. Would NCL be bigger, better etc? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Just make sure you compare apples to apples:

Seven day to Seven day:

Equal size ship to equal size ship
Equal cabin to equal cabin.

You will also pay less on an older ship that has fewer balconies. Norwegian does run their older ships on some of their Texaribbean itineraries. It also runs the Star and Dream on the Mexican Riviera. The Star is a newer ship but the Dream is about 13 years old.

I just got off the Star and it is a great ship and one that I would recommend to anyone. You can read my mini-review a few posts down.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 16th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Admiral

as just mentioned you need to compare apples to apples: the newer NCL ships are not less expensive, in some cases they are higher. We just did the Jewel, 10 day transatlantic, we could have done the Celebrity, Galaxy, a much higher catagory for much less than we spent for the Jewel. We did the Connie 2 years ago, balcony for less than the Sun was getting the same week.

NMNita
Old September 18th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Passenger

Jaymah2005,

The price on my cabin on the STAR for FEB 21st just went down again this weekend for the second time since I booked in June. I did this same cruise last April and the prices were higher then but I'm definitely taking advantage of the lower costs.

Old October 3rd, 2005, 04:57 PM
Beginner

jaymah2005,

I just returned from an Alaskan cruise on the Norwegian Star. I initailly purchased this cruise because the price seemed so low for a 7-night cruise. However, at the time I purchased it I was uneducated about NCL's "Freestyle Cruising".

I since have learned that the "free" food (which is included with your cruise price in the buffets and main dining rooms) is quite mediocre. Other cruise lines, in my experience, have much better food in their buffets and main dining rooms. NCL, however, has excellend food available in their specialty restaurants, but there is a surcharge of $12.50, $15, or $20 per person depending on the restaurant.

I got over my initial disappointment and resentment of the process, and chose to spend the extra money to dine in the specialty restaurants. In the end, i had a lovely cruise and some magnificent meals. Some others I've spoken with can't get past the idea of these extra charges, so "Freestyle" may or may not be for you.

In every other way, the cruise was excellent. The service, the stateroom, and the ship were all wonderful.

Just be careful when doing you apples-to-apples price comparison to factor in those extra charges if you want the best dining. (Other cruise lines have some similar "surcharge" options, but I think they are the exception rather than the rule.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 06:41 PM
Admiral

Food is a very subjective subject as we all know, but if you read reviews on other boards as well as this you will find overall most think NCL offers as good if not better food than RCI for one. All lines are adding specialty restaurants and most charge quite a bit more than NCL: Carnival: $25 and Celebrity $35.00. As for the main dining experiences quality on all lines has gone down over the past 10 years as have cruise prices. As for pricing, I just did a price comparison for a client sailing in Novemeber out of LAX. Princess: $599.00, Mexican Riv: 7 nights: NCL, 8 nights, $709.00, pretty similar I would say. Pricing also depends on so many things. Jay asked about Texaribbean cruise on the Dream, it is hard to compare the Dream with one on RCI's newer ships or even Carnivals. Also sailing out of Houston, Galveston are sometimes less expensive. gseagler mentions up to $20 surcharge: this must have been for either the Habachi table or Steak and Lobster. The normal charges are not $20 on any of NCLs ships. Another feature to remember is: no other line gives you the obtions NCL has, up to 10 reataurants to choose from, with 7 having no additional charges. When mentioning buffets, I have yet to have a really good buffet on any ship. I like the breakfasts better on NCL, but the lunches are not much. The sandwhich bar and outdoor bar-b-ques are outstanding. pizza better on Carnival. This is just my opinion. Some people no not like freestyle cruising and it is not for everyone, but as for food quality, I still see very little difference. We did find the overall presenation on Celebrity better than any other line and the service on RCI and Carnival lacking. Again just my opinion. NMNita
Old October 3rd, 2005, 09:45 PM
Beginner

I have to say I was a bit disillusioned with Freestyle when I found that while the Sun does have 9 restaurants, only about half were free. There were two main dining rooms, a buffet, an outdoor cafe and a lighter fare restaurants that were free. Most of the ships on other lines that I've been on had that number of free restaurants. Since the only 'extra' restaurants (over & above other lines, that is) were pay, I thought Freestyle was a bit mismarketed. At least on Sun. Had only one or two been pay restaurants, I would have thought Freestyle superior to traditional cruising. Instead, I found Freestyle anything but free!
Old October 4th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Admiral

I think I am a bit confused; freestyle never meant choices of 9 or 10 restaurants. freestyle refers to open seating, the flexibility at debarkation, more casual dress code on formal nights as well as a few other choices. The alternative dining options were started by NCL back in the early to mid 90s with Le Bistro. Since then most other lines have added specialty restaurants for extra cost. The only mass marketed line we have not sailed is Princess, none have offered as many choices as NCL, however I really don't think that is the point, I think smcur misunderstood the meaning of Freestyle and thought he/she would get more free than was offered. NMNita
Old October 4th, 2005, 12:56 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
I think I am a bit confused; freestyle never meant choices of 9 or 10 restaurants. freestyle refers to open seating, the flexibility at debarkation, more casual dress code on formal nights as well as a few other choices. The alternative dining options were started by NCL back in the early to mid 90s with Le Bistro. Since then most other lines have added specialty restaurants for extra cost. The only mass marketed line we have not sailed is Princess, none have offered as many choices as NCL, however I really don't think that is the point, I think smcur misunderstood the meaning of Freestyle and thought he/she would get more free than was offered. NMNita
I agree with nmnita on this. "Freestyle" does not mean 9 or 10 'free' restaurants. It means - no set seating times (you dine when you want), no set tablemates (with who you want) and where you want (one of the dining rooms or a pay-extra restaurant or the buffet or an included restaurant (like Pacific Heights on the Sun).
Old October 4th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Beginner

Perhaps I am the one who is confused, but if so, chalk it up to NCL's marketing--Eat where you want, when you want, and with whom you want. And newer ships are marketed as built for Freestyle with an emphasis on 10 restaurants. I don't really see it as a plus that a cruise line might have double the restaurants other lines have when none (maybe 1?) of the 'extra' restaurants are included in the cruise fare. I see it as NCL having approx. 50% of their restaurants as pay-to-eat compared to 25% of other ships! But that's just me.
Old October 4th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
I think I am a bit confused; freestyle never meant choices of 9 or 10 restaurants. freestyle refers to open seating, the flexibility at debarkation, more casual dress code on formal nights as well as a few other choices. The alternative dining options were started by NCL back in the early to mid 90s with Le Bistro. Since then most other lines have added specialty restaurants for extra cost.
These are major points of Freestyle cruising and things I really enjoyed and made my cruise more enjoyable. The ability to stay in my cabin during disembarkation and being able to have a leisurely breakfast was an added plus. On other cruise lines there have been times I have felt like a head of beef being herded into a waiting area in preparation of being herded off the ship.

On the Star of the main restaurants: Le Bistro, Cagney's, Soho, Ginza are extra charge. Endless Summer, La Trattoria, Versailles, Aqua and Market Cafe were no charge. There is also the Blue Lagoon that serves food 24 hours a day. I found that food in Aqua, and La Trattoria was very good and lunch in the Market Cafe was quite good if you made your selections. The menu is basically the same in Versailles and Aqua. We ate at Aqua two nights and enjoyed and our party of six never waited for a table.

The specialty restaurants were excellent and I will admit that I tried them all. I never did eat at Endless Summer.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 4th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Admiral

smcur, first of all, with 10 restaurants, 3 having extra sur charges my math does not come out to 50% plus yes, NCL does advertise, eat where you want, when you want etc, but anyone who has read that much certainly must have known about the extra charge restaurants. If you book through NCL, a qualified TA or you read these website or check a brochure you would know they offer specialty eateries with extra charges. Even if you choose not to eat in the specialty restaurants and many do choose not to you still have many more choices than most cruise lines. It is beyond me how anyone could not see the advantage of so many choices. On the Jewel we could eat in Tangos, the Tex Mex restaurant, Blue Lagoon for breakfast, lunch, a lighter dinner or late night snack, or we could opt for a nice Italian meal plus the buffet or either of the two main dining rooms with no extra charge. This gave us 7 choices without paying extra. Why would that not be an advantage? As I have said, if freestyle isn't for you because perhaps you prefer traditional dining times I understand, many feel that way or if you didn't find the food that good, well food is subjective but to not see the benefit of so many choices doesn't seem to make too much sense. NMNita
Old October 5th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Beginner

Quote:
smcur, first of all, with 10 restaurants, 3 having extra sur charges my math does not come out to 50% . . . Even if you choose not to eat in the specialty restaurants and many do choose not to you still have many more choices than most cruise lines.
As I mentioned in my first post, I was referring to my cruise on the Sun. I stated that the Sun didn't have more 'free' dining rooms than non-Freestyle ships I had sailed on, and it didn't!
Old October 5th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Admiral

you don't think they do, I have to totally disagree, I know of no other ship that offers 5 free choices, but this debate is going nowhere: you certainly have your ideas and were not sold on NCL. That is fine, I differ from you, but think it is time to end this debate. NMNita :o
Old October 6th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Beginner

Quote:
you don't think they do, I have to totally disagree, I know of no other ship that offers 5 free choices, but this debate is going nowhere: you certainly have your ideas and were not sold on NCL. That is fine, I differ from you, but think it is time to end this debate. NMNita :o
I never said I wasn't 'sold' on NCL, just that I found that Freestyle wasn't what I thought it would be on the ship I was on. I thought it would be a great thing having a variety of restaurants to pick from. I liked everything else about Freestyle, but didn't hadn't realized that so many of the restaurants were pay-for-use. I didn't post to debate with you. I posted to help keep anyone else from having the misconception I had about the Sun so that they wouldn't have the slight disappointment I had. Maybe the next person will be able to say they loved everything about their cruise.
Old October 8th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Passenger

I did not read all replies, but I have been on new and old NCL ships, dating back to the late 90's, which is when they started free-style. At that time, it did apply to flexible seating in dining rooms, and only 1 specialty restaurant. 2 years ago we were on the Sun, and there were 4 or 5 specialty restaurants, most with charges as mentioned, and there were no formal nights. Also, as previously mentioned, their older ships like the Dream and the Wind (which I think was re-named), are less expensive.
Old October 8th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Admiral

robin, you are right except for a couple of points: the Sun as well as the other newer NCL ships only have 3 specialty restaurants with extra, minimum charges. The are Le Bistro (offered on all ships) either an Italian eatern or Cagney's steak house (depending on the ship) and an Origntal choice. All the other alterntive dining restaurants are included in the price of the cruise. Freestyle actually started in early 2000 and the formal night options has always been part of freestyle. On our last cruise almost everyone dressed in more formal attire for both formal nights, but we did see very few tux. On the Sea, the cruisers dressed down pretty much: It depends on the ship, but we have been on 4 freestyle cruises now and I would say, about 60% do dress up to some degree, few dress to the nines. Yes, the Dream, Magjesty and Wind are much less expensive: the newer ships can run as much, if not more than any other line. I think it is very important to take the product as well as the company into consideration. Years ago, many would say, Kenmore products are made by Whirlpool so are the same qualtiy. I don't know if they were better, worse or the same, but just because Whirlpool made them does not mean they were identical in every way. Same with anything: of course an older ship will not be identical to a brand new one regardless of the company. Now, I think it's time for me to go to the Moose lodge and have a drink. I have said about all there is to say on the subject. NMNita
Old October 8th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Beginner

Sun has four pay restaurants: Le Bistro, East Meets West (changing to Cagney's), Ginza, and Il Adagio.
Old October 9th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Admiral

sncur,

Can we just drop this rediculous one uppsies? Ginza and East Meets West are basically the same restauratnt just like on the Jewel, but Ginza is the small habachi part of the restaurtant. NMnita
Old October 9th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Passenger

I guess that your correction of what I had to say, (which I said most, not all) were for pay. We were on the Sun in February of 2004. There was no true formal night. We were on the Wind in February of 98 or 99, and that was the first experiment with free-style, and it was totally different that it is now. So, if you did not sail at those times on those ships, I guess you don't have that much to say. They actually ran one of the regular dining rooms as an Italian style restaurant, and the Le Bistro was separate and for an extra charge.
Old October 9th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Admiral

Robin, yes, you are right about Le Bistro: NCL started the specialty dining in about 1995 or 96. They were the first line to offer atlernative dining: at that time the charge was $5.00. I think the overall food and experience in the specialty restaurants has greatly improved through the years. The Italian alternative dining did come into being in about 1999 if I remember correctly. Many of my clients loved the concept and were very anxious for the real freestyle to be put into place. Freestyle as a marketing tool, offering the choice of where and when to eat and the choice of formal optional was introduced in early 2000, but took about 2 or 3 years to be fully inplemented with the Sun and the Star being the first 2 ships to use it to it's fullest advantage. The Sky also offered choices. Of course we all know it is just now being fully accepted with other lines jumping on board. There will always be those who prefer traditional dining and always be lines that will not switch over. That is what makes cruising so interesting, there is something for everyone. NMnita
Old October 9th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Admiral

Zeno, I was going to email you personally about something but lost your email address: if you want to you can email me.

Later, Nita
Old October 17th, 2005, 08:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

You get what you pay for...............there's a reason its cheaper. If you have never sailed a medium priced line and freestyle dining is your style....you should be fine.

Watch out for mechanical problems on the "older ships" such as the Dream or Wind.

Best Wishes
Old October 17th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Admiral

Cookie, you are so right about the Dream, not so much the Wind even though, basically they are sisters. As for getting what you pay for, NCL is not less expensive overall. We have booked three times on Celebrity for the rates. All three times the rates were less for comparable cabins. One was Galazy versus the Jewel which is not a fair comparison, but 1 was Dream versus Zenith and one Connie versus the Sun. I think everyone agrees with you about freestyle dining. It isn't meant for everyone. That is why you can now choose traditional dining by requesting a certain eating time and wait staff your first night on the ship. In some ways that is even better as you are not limited to only two dining options, but can pick the best time for you and your family to dine and take it from there. NMNita
Old October 23rd, 2005, 07:43 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Why are NCL cruises generally less expensive?

As said before you get what you pay for here was our experiance on the Dream ship on 10/15/05........

OK we just got back from the 10/15/05 dream cruise (nightmare) that was a 7 day 4 stop ports. Of course we only got to go to one scheduled stop of cozumel and they changed Belize to Progresso. This has been the worst trip of our entire life. PERIOD!!! The service was horrible the staff was the rudest I have ever seen. On one occasion me and my husband were walking down an aisle and three employees were walking side by side with bags of laundry and didnt bother to even move a little bit to let us walk by cause the bags to swipe my leg and I went flying forward right on my face and they laughed and kept walking. No sorry no let me help you up or anything. The food was so bad I lost 8 lbs by time I got home. The shows were horrible. The room service took over an hour to get your food and half of the time the staff had no idea what was being served and they were standing right by the buffett line. We spent 40.00 on a coke promotion that gave you free coke throughout the trip. Of course you were only allowed to order 1 coke at a time and some of the waitresses refused to give you the can in case you wanted to drink it in your room later. All the events were canceled so the only thing you were able to do was to lay out period!!! I also heard they doubled the price of the drinks. You paid $7.00 for drinks and they use to be $3.50 and here is the mose frustrating thing......We paid 155.00 each to swim with the dolphins and sea lions and snorkle but since the boat was late, they cut out the snorkling and the sea line show and said we were still responsible for paying it in full price reguardless off the excursion being cut by 1 1/2 hours. I could go on and on with other things that did happen. But overall I would have never gone out in a boat that had only half its engine in the middle of a hurricane. This cruise ship put all of lives at stake and refuse to compensate us for any of our losses in this whole nightmare. Please dont waste your money it is so not worth it.......

Brandie
brandie73@sbcglobal.net
email with any questions we are trying to help everyone out that was on this trip and trying to get some type of compensation!!!! I have a relative that is pretty high up in the political world and Im working on some big news stations to help and do a real good piece on the ship we took lots of video of the ship and the way the staff acting. Plus we got charged 20 a day even though we never had room service come to our rooms and they never once changed our sheets or pillow cases they had the same stains from day one!!!!!! Nice HUH
I promise I am not going to let this cruise line get away with this and believe me I keep my word......
Old October 24th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Beginner

Quote:
sncur,

Can we just drop this rediculous one uppsies? Ginza and East Meets West are basically the same restauratnt just like on the Jewel, but Ginza is the small habachi part of the restaurtant. NMnita
I'm very sorry you choose to see this as a game of oneupsmanship. I am only trying to correct what I perceived as incorrect information. I really wish you did not take this personally. I got my information from the cruise line's brochure.

Let's come to a meeting of the minds: I promise not to correct you again if you promise not to post any incorrect or misleading remarks.
Old October 25th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Admiral

ok smcur, it's time to drop this whole thing; I said it is a technicality and it is; you call it 2 separate eateries, many think of it as one; both are right. NMnita .
Old October 27th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Beginner

Have just come back from New England On the 'Jewel'.
Very pleasant holiday.
The cruise was not expensive and the ship all right with excellent food and service.However we are now looking for much smaller ships.
Jewel far too contemporary and very noisy and intrusive.

Went on the Dream to South America -very good

Kind regards,

Tony
Old October 27th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Admiral

Tony, isn't it amazing how we see things; different size ships, eating choices, singing waiters versus quite dining: we all look for something special. I am not crazy over the larger vessels either, but must say we did love the Jewel and DH, who doesn't get excited about decor etc loved the contempory design of her. As a TA, I get lots of travel magazines and am amazed at what some lines are doing with size. 4000 and more passenger capacity on some of the ships to hit the water in the next few years.

As much as I do miss the smaller, more intimate ships I have to admit to liking the dining choices etc that can be offered by the larger ships. I guess we have to give a little to get a little as the old song said. NMNita
Old October 27th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Beginner

Thank you nmnita

We are booking with Seabourne for 2007.
We have done the Minerva-lovely smallshish ship but passengers too snooty ( mainly British ) and some otherships with around 450 passengers, but found the Jewel too intrusive. It appeared to us to have no character also very difficult to find a comfortable seat in one of the lounges. But as you said it is ones perception. Many of the Americans said to us they would go on again.Didn't like all the intrusive announcements-bingo the rather dubious art auctions etc but a very enjoyable cruise.

kind regards
Tony.