Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 9th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Passenger

Default Majesty info please

Majesty out of Charleston is a driving to port for us. We were thinking of sneaking a easy cheaper vacation to a warm climate this winter. 7 days W. Caribbean. I know this is a really small ship in camparison . Any opinions .comments, advice etc on this ship.
Our only other cruise was the small RCI Empress of the Sea , I know Majesty is a little smaller so in our minds we are comparing that. husband main concern is food

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Passenger

Hi! I new here. We sailed on the Norwegian Dawn around Thanksgiving 2003 and our second cruise will be on the Magesty in January 2006. I realize that this is a smaller and older ship...I am hoping that we won't be disappointed. This cruise will be to the Western Caribbean with stops at Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Key West. We will be departing Charleston on Jan. 14. Should we anticipate rough seas? I am planning to have seasickness medicine with us in case we need it!
Old October 13th, 2005, 11:56 PM
Passenger

Hi Smg- Nobody's answering us but maybe can help some with yours. We sailed a small ship about this same size, my husband cant ride amusement park rides and can only drive not ride in a car. We took Bonimine 2 days before we left and on the first 2 days of the cruise at bedtime. One day we had up and down really rocky ,c ouldnt walk straight day, but neither of us felt sick at all , it rocked us to sleep about all day. we were aft cabin too . People say the braclets are the best. I bought hubs one but he never used it at all. Other than that one day we didnt feel the rocking motion It was around the hurricane Rita time so think we had some of that effect.

Good luck
Old October 14th, 2005, 03:02 PM
First Mate

I have cruised aboard the Majesty twice, on her Boston-Bermuda run.

Although she's smaller & older, the crew keeps it well maintained. The ship is very clean, food is above average in the Main dining rooms. The crew & staff of this ship work hard to make your vacation a memorable cruising experience.

Because of the smaller size, it is very easy to navigate your way around. Within a day I knew where everything was.

You will not find skating rinks and rock climbing walls on the Majesty, but there are two pools, two hot tubs (I each for adults only). A spa & gym.

Our cabin was an outside on the 4th deck. The lower decks feel less bounce. Bonine according to direction worked well for me.

I had no regrets about cruising aboard the Majesty, & hope to sail on her again before she's retired.

Hope that this was helpful.

Barb
Old October 17th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Beginner

Default Norwegian Majesty

HI,
I'm new to this site and would just like to say that my girlfriend and I JUST returned from Bermuda on the Majesty yesterday.

The ship is beautiful, well cared for and the staff gets an A++++++++++

This was our 1st cruise ever, but, we were totally impressed and had not one complaint at all!

The cruise Director Pedro has got to be one of the best!
Very funny hard working guy!

All of the staff were very good and catered to every need.

The food was very good, I myself am not usually into trying alot of new things, but, on this trip I did!
Lamb, Duck, Lobster, Oysters, CAtfish, Calamari, Escargo, Mahi-Mahi just to name a few! lol

Were were so impressed with this ship and crew that we booked ourselves for the 15 day Caribbean cruise out of Charleston, SC on April 22, 2006 on the Majesty again!

We had a group of 48 people from NH who most of them have taken the Majesty to Bermuda 3 years in a row and if there wasn't a party going on, we made one!

The Norwegian Majesty is HIGHLY recommended in our book!
Old October 17th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Beginner

I have to say that my husband and I actually flew home from Bermuda rather than sailing at the end of Sept. It might have been a one time problem, but the boat smelled like sewer and the smell got worse by the day. We decided to leave when the smell pemeated the cabin. If great food is what you want I would definitely NOT reccommend this ship. It is my belief that the food actually made multiple people in our 40 person group sick.
Old October 18th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Passenger

Hi! Thanks for the different views. I will have motion sickness meds with us just in case we need it. Our cabin in on deck 9, outside.

Hopefully they cleared up the smell in the ship. Sorry to hear that your vacation was ruined because of that.

We are easy going folks and will make the most of the trip, even if problems arise. Actually on our last cruise on the Dawn, we had rough seas on the last day and a lot of the passengers and crew were sick. But, all in all, we had a fabulous time and am really looking forward to this trip. Also, I wanted to add, we will be flying into Charleston, SC the day before, can any of you recommend a motel/hotel, especially ones that have a shuttle from the airport to the hotel and restaurants nearby?
Old November 4th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Passenger

We sailed on the Norwegian Majesty out of Charleston last December for a family cruise. We had a blast. In fact we are sailing her again for a New Year's cruise in just under two months! But who is counting? We are!!

Yes, NM is an 'older ship' built in 1992 and is smaller, but still a classy lady. My understanding is that she has undergone a refurbishment earlier this fall. She does not have all the glitz and flash that many of the newer ships have, but that is not all that we cruise for.

Pedro, if he is still on board, will entertain you in many ways and the staff were all very professional and courteous. We found the food in the dining rooms quite good, the buffet is a buffet, adequate but not outstanding. If you want a quick meal, they do a good job. Splurge one night (or two) and spend the $15 upcharge for LeBistro. It is a bit cozy, but worth it. The chocolate fondue alone is worth the cost. And that is coming from one who prefers all costs to be included in the base price.

We have done eight cruises previously on Carnival Celebration (our first), through HAL Maasdam, Veendam, Zaandam and Zuiderdam and Princess' Coral Princess, as well as Norwegian Majesty. We have enjoyed them all! Any day at sea beats the best day on land!
Old November 5th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Beginner

We went on the Majesty to Bermuda 2004. We hadn't heard much about her so we had few expectations. We were pleasantly surprised. The dining room meals were average and rooms a bit smaller than some lines. The ride was rougher than any we have ever had. A stirred up Atlantic Ocean would account for that. All in all we enjoyed the little ship. What we found to most unexpected was the daily buffet food. A much smaller ship, the food seemed fresher and well presented. We even opted for a meal there in the evening instead of the dining room a couple of nights. It is a nice looking older ship overall. My wife likes a walk around deck and the majesty has one! My biggest disapppointment (but I don't spend a great deal of time there anyway)was the fitness area. It was very basic, limited, and the equipment was also old. We have been on a number of lines but RCCL isn't one of them - no help to you there.
Old November 7th, 2005, 01:40 AM
Passenger

Thanks for the info. Booked the cruise for February, Hope to feel some warm Caribbean sunshine.

Love to walk laps and lay and read. So I'm set , if the food is good for hubs , he's set.

My only question is the free style dining. Not counting the pay restuarant & buffet. But the others , is there a wait? I really like the set time and place dining, it was easy and gave us something to look forward to.
Old November 9th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Passenger

Default My husband was sea sick

We did the Boston to Bermuda in Sep of 2002. The seas were rough, and he was sea sick until we landed in Bermuda. This means I had to go to formal night with friends without him. If you have a weak stomach, this ship is not for you. It was rocking so bad, it was hard to walk down the hallways. It wasn't as bad coming back, but he was still bothered with sea sickness. In spite of all that, I did have a wonderful time. Bermuda is the most beautiful place I've ever been. We had a suite, and the room was nice, and had no problems as far as service, food, or anything else goes.
Old November 9th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Passenger

We booked cabin 955, should we anticipate a lot of movement?
Old November 10th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Beginner

Default Majesty

We walked up to one of the main dining rooms one night with a line. We only waited about 5 minutes. Never a long wait. Early or later is never a problem.
Old November 14th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Passenger

Cabin 955 should be fine. We had 943 last time (Dec 04). This time 940, for New Years!
Old November 17th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Passenger

Thanks Steve. We're looking forward to this cruise and hope to have a good time!
Old January 7th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to dczemen
Default getting motion sickness medicine

I don't know many of the over the counter meds, but if you get sick easily, call your doctor and let them know you are going on a cruise and for how long...then ask them for scopalomine patches. That way if you are nauseated or vomiting, you don't have to worry about the medicine coming back up with vomiting. These are just patches that go on your skin and lasts 72 hrs.