Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 27th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Beginner

Default NEED HELP FIRST TIMER Children cost

I want to go on a cruise and take the family but I don't want to break the bank. I thought maybe a 4 day from Cape Canaveral on NCL and take the cheap rooms.

Questions.

1.) I have 5 children 15,11,10,8,6 how much does it cost for them?
2.) I will need two state rooms
3.) extra money? how much
Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Admiral

Generally there is not much of a break for children unless the line is running a special. NCL also doesn't offer many if any short cruises. I wish they did. Carnival and RCI are known for their 3 and 4 dayers. Celebrity is doing some 5 day cruises out of Miami. As for the two cabins, I would suggest, if you want to save money there are 2 ways to do this: either get an outside and inside cabin or 2 inside ones. If you stay away from heavy cruise seasons there will be a discount for the 3rd and 4th person in the cabin. Some of the cabins especially on Carnival can handle 5 so you could get one for the two of you and 1 cabin for the kids.

As for additional costs: you will have tipping for everyone, less for the kids under 12, and of course the soft drink thing: most kids, maybe not yours love sodas; you can certainly bring your own onto the ship. Yes, they are heavy, but it beats paying a fortune on the ship. Most lines have juice available someplace on the ship at all times> Other extra charges: excurtions on land, extra tips for the child center councilors if you use them, of course as I mentioned drinks, both adult and kids. It is up to you how much you spend. A four day cruise is an ideal way to find out if cruising is for you and offers a great vacation without totally breaking the bank. No matter, it won't be cheap. I hope this helps, if you have any other questions I will try to answer them. NMNita
Old October 28th, 2005, 11:48 PM
Beginner

This will give you "an estimate" as we just booked a Spring cruise on NCL's Jewel. I got 2 adjoining cabins.

We have a family of 5.

Persons 1,2 $1175 per person
Person 3--- $650
Persons, 4, 5 (and above) again another $1175 per person.

You need to factor in gratuities also. On freestyle cruising, they add it in automatically. The specialty restaurants, there is a surcharge. Also, consider price of shore excursions. We generally run about $75 per person for an excursion (avg. cost) while in port.

If you drive into Port Canaveral, I believe there was a parking charge of $10/day payable up front.

Oh, and also. Our room was at the lowest deck. To go any higher for us would have pushed the cost up higher. We rarely spend time in the room, and would rather put the money in our port excursions.

Hope this helps...however, call a company and get a quote. Prices change all the time!!! Good luck
Old October 31st, 2005, 02:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

If you can possibly stay away from summer time it will be a lot cheaper. Thanksgiving is probably the cheapest holiday when the kids are out followed by Spring Break and then the Xmas and New years cruises. If there is any possiblity of cruising in an off times when kids are in school it can be about 1/2 as much as what was mentioned above. If they can avoid soda for the week that will save a lot too and then research the ports and tour on your own.. We went on a shoe string budget the first cruises so I know you can... Debbie