Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 14th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Passenger

Default wind to hawaii

We're traveling on the Wind to Hawaii Dec. 28 on the 10 day cruise. We're debating how much money to actually spend on shore excursions - Does anyone have any input on which ones are worthwile?
Sponsored Links
Old November 14th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Admiral

absolutely no one can tell you how much to allow, but I can say, we almost always book our tours via the net and not through the cruise line. We get better cruises for less money which enables us to take more excursions. We also normally plan to tour about 1/2 the ports and just relax at the rest. These are all individual preferances which only you can decide on. I would check the excursion information on the website as well as ports a call and even try searching island by island on the net to get ideas of what's available. You can plan from there. NMNita
Old November 15th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Passenger

Default Re: wind to hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickle
We're traveling on the Wind to Hawaii Dec. 28 on the 10 day cruise. We're debating how much money to actually spend on shore excursions - Does anyone have any input on which ones are worthwile?
We really enjoyed the "Volcanoes and Waterfalls" helicopter tour we took with Safari Air. It was quite a bit less than NCL charged for their tour and an awesome experience. We enjoyed it so much that we tried to book a helicopter tour with them on Kauai too, but they were booked up.

My other favorite was the Napali beach excursion on Fanning Island. We ended up staying from the first tender over to the last tender back! I just wish we had brought snacks because we were starving by the time we returned to the ship.

All the other islands we just rented cars and did our own thing. So overall we spent very little on excusions.

Julie
Old November 15th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Passenger

Default napali beach

Thanks!

Did you book the Napali beach excursion before you went on the cruise, or did you do it once you arrived? I ask because I've read that it books up quickly, and I'd be afraid to miss it. Also, do you happen to know if they issue refunds if you don't go on a pre-booked excursion? I'm just thinking that if we book now so we're guaranteed a spot, what if the weather is bad or something?
Old November 16th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Passenger

Default Re: napali beach

Quote:
Thanks!

Did you book the Napali beach excursion before you went on the cruise, or did you do it once you arrived? I ask because I've read that it books up quickly, and I'd be afraid to miss it. Also, do you happen to know if they issue refunds if you don't go on a pre-booked excursion? I'm just thinking that if we book now so we're guaranteed a spot, what if the weather is bad or something?
We did book our excursions online before the cruise. We had booked the Napali Beach excursion Am departure, I had booked the Barracuda Reef Snorkel, and we had all booked the Body Glove Snorkel in Kona. After watching the info show on excursions while in the room one day, I decided to cancel the Barracuda Reef excursion. It was only recommended for very strong swimmers, and I prefer to relax and snorkel, not swim hard the whole time. I just had to cancel about 24 hours in advance, which probably won't help you if weather is the issue. We had a beautiful, slightly overcast day, so the temperatures were pleasant and a nice breeze kept us refreshed. It did rain at the end of the day, but we had a great time anyway!

By the way, when you get off the tender at Napali Beach there is a large group of school kids singing. They are really cute! We had brought a ton of school supplies, books and small toys from the dollar store and were able to leave them right there and didn't have to cart them all over the island. They also have bicycles, kayaks, small sail boats, etc. that you can rent fo the hour or day if you get bored laying in the sun or floating on mats in the water! I am so jealous, I wish I was going back!!!

Julie
Old November 16th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Passenger

One more thing I should probably warn you about. There are no restroom facilities at Napali Beach.

Julie
Old December 2nd, 2005, 02:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

We just returned from a cruise on the Wind last week. We were glad that we did not pay to go to Napali Beach on Fanning Island for the following reasons:
1. The food and restrooms were on the other side of the island where the free tenders dropped us off
2. There was a beautiful beach which was good for swimming and snorkeling.
3. The sight-seeing on Fanning Island was incredible. There was an open-air market with real handcrafts made by the people from the island, not made in China or the Philipines like everything else. There were tours available on a van for $10 or you could rent a bike or even walk for free up the road and see how the people on this island live.
4. There was music, dancing and other entertainment performed by the native islanders which was very different from anything we had seen

This is the most unspoiled island I have ever seen in my travels and the people there were delightful. They posed for pictures, interacted with us (they speak little English) and even invited us to see their school which is sponsored by NCl.

If you go to Fanning Island, the cruise line does suggest that you bring supplies for the children for school but they do not allow clothing to be donated. No reason was given for this. Definately they could use pencils, pens and paper. All other school supplies that could be taken with you from home without adding a lot of weight to your luggage would be great.

I noticed also that they kids like to play basketball and soccer. The school could probably use some new equipment (balls, etc.)
Old December 2nd, 2005, 02:34 PM
Passenger

Oh my gosh, that sounds great. We'll definitely take some school supplies for the kids - Anthing else you can recommend taking? I don't really think we could spare the room for a basketball or soccer ball, but do they need anything else?

Any other overall impressions about the cruise itself? We really cannot wait. Did you do any excursions? What type of stateroom did you have?

Thanks so much for your input! Happy holidays.
Old December 4th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Nick,
Check out the following web pages since they give more details about what to bring to Fanning Island:>
http://www.forbetterlife.org/news/ne...sp?newsID=1323
and
http://www.geocities.com/lolodrake/

I would also suggest that when you are on the ship prior to arriving at Fanning Island, talk to some of the crew about how to get the supplies to the school. Please see Joselyn Castillo who works on the cruise director's staff. We met here during our cruise and we saw here on the island when we were there. She has personal friends who are Islanders there and she and her shipmates visit with them when on-board.

Joselyn is a very nice girl from the Phillipines and helps out in the bingo games and other events. Just check name tags or ask the cruise director or the asst. cruise director and they will point here out. Tell her that Jim and Dotti from Buffalo sent you.

This could make it easier for you to get to the school and get the supplies to the kids. Joselyn even invited us to dinner on the island with her friends.

Good luck and thanks for helping these people out. It is especially critical now since we were told that after this assignment, the Wind will no longer be stopping at Fanning Island and there are no other cruise ships that go there at this time.

-Jim
Old December 28th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Passenger

Default Re: wind to hawaii

Quote:
Sailed on the Wind last year over Thanksgiving. We chose only one tour through NCL. The rest we walked off ship and paid taxi fares. Both times we were presently surprised . ( I should say van fares as there were 10 other people both times). If you chose this way just allow plenty of time to be back in time for the ship's sailing. The ship won't wait for you unless you book through their on shore excursions! Of course we enjoyed Pearl Harbor and the cemetary.. ( My Dad was in the Navy during WWII and stayed a couple of nights at the Royal Hawaian on the beach!) We also enjoyed going up to the crator and walking in an old lava tube...