Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 17th, 2005, 09:33 PM
Passenger

Default How long is it cold?

This one goes out to anyone who has cruised from New York in the winter...... How long does it take untill you warm up? I'm assuming that by the 2nd full day we'd be out in bathing suits - at least I would hope so since you're traveling due south. Hubby is leary about going out of New York and waisting some of "good cruisin days" to cold weather.
Thank you again
Anni M
Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2005, 11:46 PM
First Mate

Hi,

Passengers pleaded for years to have ''NewYork'' to wherever cruises during the fall/winter season, because they were tired of having to fly south before embarking on a Carribean Cruise.

Now , cruise lines have listened and passengers can now depart form ''NewYork''....

There is an obvious compromise here which everybody has to play ball with: the first 2 days before you emerge into typical seasonnal warmer weather zones will NOT be Caribean-esque weather, nor will the last 2 on the way back.....Unavoidable.
Only option is back to the old routine; fly south 3 hours, get 100% Caribean-type weather during entire cruise, fly north 3 hours...Which is precisely what a lot of potential guests have lobbied to correct....

Think of it that way: your cruise from NewYork is longer, affording more of the fantastic cruise experience we all learned to love, and the majority of the days are also warmer than back home.
Everybody can turn that into a fantastic vacation.

Happy sailings
CG

Nest up: CENTURY June'08....B2B Norwegian Fjords/Artic/NorthCape & Scandinavia/Russia

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G
Old December 3rd, 2005, 11:44 AM
Familiar Face

Just got back from Dawn Thursday. I had no problem using my
balcony the last day at sea.
According to my notes, opposite Norfolk VA (263 miles from NYC)
was about 12 hours away, so leaving at 5 pm, you're even farther
south the first morning.
Old December 14th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Passenger

i was on the dawn nov 20 til dec 1 and the first 2 and a half days you will not be in your swim suit until you get to your first port in jamaica. even then we did not have good weather although you might. the rest was awesome and i was glad even though it was not warm we had those extra days to relax...you will love it
Old December 15th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Passenger

Default thanks again scubas girl

I don't mind that it's going to be cold on both ends of this trip. The way we figured, we usually spend the first entire day of our vacation traveling, then spend the night in a hotel we're too tired to enjoy. The same thing at the end of the trip. That brings our 7 day cruise ( which is definately not long enough) to about 9 days anyway.
We chose New York because we can be there in about an hour and half flight, and go strait to the pier. How cool to be home in bed at 6 am and 6 hours later be strolling around the ship! Of course it won't be so fun on day 11......
Old December 16th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Familiar Face

Bring some gloves and a hat - dawn as you enter the Hudson is worth it from the front deck - Or you can stay in the observatory lounge.

Like I said - you're inside for the twelve hours nearest NYC going and
coming (nighttime) - so unless there is inclement weather, you'll be fine
even on the first and last days of the cruise.

I can't wait to go again next year!