CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Norwegian Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Norwegian Star engine problem too! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/304731-norwegian-star-engine-problem-too.html)

dianeb_one December 1st, 2005 01:08 PM

Norwegian Star engine problem too!

So I am new here and I first time cruiser.
I am booked with three other friends to go from LA to the Mexican Riveria on Jan 4 2006.

I checked out the itinerary on the NCL Cruise website to find that Acapulco and Ixtapa are not on the trip anymore and have been swapped with Manzanillo and Mazatlan.

Originally we were to have been in Acapulco for 24 hours and now we are in Manzanillo for about 8 and then we leave for Mazatlan.

I called NCL to find out the reason and was told that the Star is having problems with one of her engines and so she can't motor fast enough to get to Acapulco in time. I was also told that every guest would get a $50.00 credit on their account.

Now I see that there are other NCL ships with engine troubles.

So any ideas what is happening to these ships? Should I ask for more credit on our accounts?

Also any suggestions about what to take/ what to expect appreciated too.

Thanks!

nmnita December 1st, 2005 02:44 PM

Diane,

There are no other ships with engine problems at this time, only the Star. The Dream has been fixed. As for these types of problems, beleive it or not they are not unusual. Celebrity's top ships, the M class have all had similar set backs.

Don't feel to bad about missing Acapulco, read some of the other boards. You will learn you aren't missing much. Spending 24 hours there would not be the most exciting thing you could do. Just enjoy the entire cruise experience, the ship is very nice and crew outstanding. What a great way to start the New Year. NMnita :-P

Pinkie December 26th, 2005 01:18 PM

Missing Acapulco is absolutely NO BIG DEAL! Was there last year and it was AWEFUL. Love Mexico and am sad to hear that Ixtapa is cancelled, especially when the boat is in Zihuatanejo which is my favorite. Been on at least a dozen cruises and the thing to remember is it is all about the ship... not necessarily the destinations. Personally, I love the days at sea!!!

nmnita December 28th, 2005 09:41 PM

There are no other NCL ships with engine problems right now. This does not mean there will be none in the future. Several lines develop similar problems and there is no other way to make the repairs, other than change itineraries until the ships can go into dry dock for repairs. Missing Acapulco can seem like a big thing, but it really isn't. There are other ports just as interesting and perhaps less over run with tourists, plus crusing is a total experience and not just visiting ports. We just returned from a cruise that had a port change, no reasons given and no OBC credit either. We did talk to one person that raised so much steam that she was given an OBC, the rest of us just accepted the change. It really didn't affect our cruise one bit. Go, plan on having a blast, no not expect great weather BTW and you will soon forget about the missed port. Oh, you will hear lots of gripes on the ship about it, we certainly did about ours a couple weeks ago, but it still shouldn't influence your wonderful vacation. NM Nita