Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 7th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Admiral

Default NCL Majesty 2006 Last Year From Boston?

Does anybody know if this is the last year the Majesty will be cruising out of Boston? Is any rehabbing due to the ship? If it is the last year any rumours as to what ship MAY replace the Majesty to Bermuda?
Sponsored Links
Old December 9th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

I would love to know this also. Was on the Majesty in 2003 to Bermuda and the staff was terrific, the destination beautiful but the ship is small and older. I would love to make that trip again but on something a little bigger and newer, riding the Atlantic can get pretty rough at times. Live in the Merrimack Valley, so cruising out of Boston means not having to fly and that is always good.
Old December 9th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Admiral

Have you been on the ship since it's been stretched? Yes, the ship is older (more than 10 years old), but just because it's old it shouldn't be relegated to a cruise ship grave yard. It is the most re-booked ship in the NCL line.. NCL and two or three other cruise lines including RC are helping Bermuda to expand their port facilities. There is/was talk of widening the divide that the Majesty goes through to get to St. George, but many Bermudians are against it. Personally, I like the Majesty, there is a great charm about the ship, the wonderful crew and the fact it leaves from Boston. When I go to the travel show in Boston in January I'm going to check with NCL and see when the last trip is. Yes, it needs refurbishing, but it's being done even while it's at sea.. Somewhere I heard talk they might put the NCL Spirit here..
Old December 10th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes, it had been stretched when we were on it. As I said, the crew was terrific, all so friendly and helpful. The cruise director and his staff were great, too, and kept things going and lively on deck. Bermuda itself, is just so clean and safe and we loved having time to explore all over with the bus pass. It's just my personal choice that I like bigger ships, I have a problem with motion and we were running to beat a storm home besides. Not sure if anything much bigger would fit through the channel without altering it either, and St. George is so charming just as it is. That trip is still one of my fondest memories.
Old December 11th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Admiral

The "cut" has already been modified according to what I've been reading in the Bermuda Gazette before and many Bermudians do not want to do it again. Unfortunately, Bermuda isn't the Bermuda of old in safety concerns with crime against tourists getting a foothold. I've just read somebody has finally come up with a plan for improving/developing St. George which would be a big plus developing the old St. George time sharing building on the hill. According to the Tourism Board they are counting on not the cruise passengers, but increased lower priced plane flights to Bermuda from the East Coast. Several years ago I had a long discussion with a shop owner who decried the increasing amount of cruise ships. Cruisers do not spend A great deal of $$ on china and antiques (that is what his shop specializes in), he preferred hotel guests who do. Well, it seems the hotels are not doing well at all and many have closed or been re-sold. To add to all of that many of the stores you will find on Front Street have closed. As for larger ships...we were on a Trans-Atlantic several years ago on the Brilliance of the Seas.. and ran into a storm.. I have never been so frightened in my life, just before I went to bed I remembered where the life preserevers were and our station.. On the 8th deck I was rocked as if I were in a cradle.. So much for larger ships..
Old December 12th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

I guess it does depend on the ocean you are sailing on plus the time of year. The Atlantic will always be rougher than the Caribbean, plus we were tempting fate by going at the end of August, but found a deal we couldn't refuse. ! Ran into rough seas in the Gulf last fall on another small NCL ship, another great price but a bad time to try it. It's always a chance we take for the adventure. My favorites have been the southern routes out of San Juan in spring and early summer. The sea is pretty calm then, the weather hot, and the islands down there really tropical. I would sail on Majesty again but would love to try the Spirit also if the staff was as good as the Majesty. Wouldn't mind a land vacation to beautiful Bermuda, but it is usually pretty high priced. Guess there is no better trip than cruising for both value and variety. Happy sails........
Old December 15th, 2005, 05:21 PM
First Mate

The 2006 Bermuda-Boston season on the Majesty is advertised in today's Boston Herald.
Old December 15th, 2005, 05:21 PM
First Mate

The 2006 Bermuda-Boston season on the Majesty is advertised in today's Boston Herald.
Old December 15th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Admiral

Hey Barb (you know who I am)..I'm talking about 2007 Maybe going on it for a destination wedding in June.
Old December 27th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcboston
I guess it does depend on the ocean you are sailing on plus the time of year. The Atlantic will always be rougher than the Caribbean, plus we were tempting fate by going at the end of August, but found a deal we couldn't refuse. ! Ran into rough seas in the Gulf last fall on another small NCL ship, another great price but a bad time to try it. It's always a chance we take for the adventure. My favorites have been the southern routes out of San Juan in spring and early summer. The sea is pretty calm then, the weather hot, and the islands down there really tropical. I would sail on Majesty again but would love to try the Spirit also if the staff was as good as the Majesty. Wouldn't mind a land vacation to beautiful Bermuda, but it is usually pretty high priced. Guess there is no better trip than cruising for both value and variety. Happy sails........
Just returned from a 10 day cruise out of New York on NCL Spirit. We misses the ship ( Not NCL's fault) but was US Air's fault.. Anyway we were flown to St. Thomas and joined the Spirit 3 nights and two days late!
NCL and the Spirit crew treated us ROYALY once we boarded! I can't think of a thing to complain about except for some 30 foot waves on our trip home. Anyone who has used NCL before will love the Spirit for sure! The staff has my A+ rating! :
Old December 28th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Sebec.......thanks for the report on the Spirit and the staff. I'm happy you had such a good time after you finally got there! So sorry you had such a stressful start to your vacation, that's why I try really hard to go down the day before, just don't trust the airlines especially in the winter. I see you are from Maine so probably you thought, quick flight, no problem. Being from Mass, I probably would have thought the same, but just getting into New York City from the airports is a hassle, have been there and done that! Thirty foot waves would not put me in my "happy place" though, so I'll probably stick to spring and summer cruises. I hope that the Spirit does move to Boston now, I'd love to sail her to Bermuda.
Old December 28th, 2005, 08:51 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcboston
Sebec.......thanks for the report on the Spirit and the staff. I'm happy you had such a good time after you finally got there! So sorry you had such a stressful start to your vacation, that's why I try really hard to go down the day before, just don't trust the airlines especially in the winter. I see you are from Maine so probably you thought, quick flight, no problem. Being from Mass, I probably would have thought the same, but just getting into New York City from the airports is a hassle, have been there and done that! Thirty foot waves would not put me in my "happy place" though, so I'll probably stick to spring and summer cruises. I hope that the Spirit does move to Boston now, I'd love to sail her to Bermuda.
Have yet to do Bermuda! Would be very interested in sailing there on the Spirit should she change! We could drive down and stay the night before as we did when we did Hawaii. That was a beautiful trip. The Wind was an older ship and the food was probably a B+.. but with so much to do and see we didn't mind. Have you done Alaska?
Old December 29th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Sebec, No, I haven't had the pleasure of seeing Alaska yet...because of our lovely northeast climate, I'm usually looking for sunny and hot on vacation! ! I would like to try it someday, though, everyone says it is just gorgeous. Hawaii is another one I would like to try, just hate long plane rides. I was on the Norwegian Dream to the Western Caribbean, its exactly like the Wind, guess the twin sister, and didn't really like that one much. From what I am hearing, the Majesty will still be doing Boston to Bermuda this year and while I did enjoy that trip (Bermuda is so beautiful), I really like to try out different ships each year and different cruiselines for variety and experience. If you flew into Logan, I don't think the port is very far. If you drive, which is what we did, there is a parking garage right across from the cruiseport where Norwegian docked. I think it was about $85 for the week, that was 2 yrs ago so that may have changed. Cruising is the cheapest way to see Bermuda, though, so if you try it, I think you will love that pretty clean island.